bobafetske

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting ready to order the SAE Compliant fog lights by Baja Designs. Just not sure to get white or amber. I know both are way brother than the stock fog lights, just not sure which to order. Anybody have them and a preference and why? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Baja Designs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Baja Designs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado H.D.
Hi Keith,

It just depends on what you plan to see on a daily basis and what you designate the lights for. Amber is going to be beneficial for poor conditions such as snow, rain, dust, and fog. This color temperature actually cuts through the dense air particles rather than reflect and blind the driver as a white color would. But if you plan to see primarily clean conditions, the white color temperature will be better for terrain recognition. I hope this clears up a little bit of the confusion. Thank you!

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Decades in the desert says that off-road lights are better white and mounted high, like on top of the cab. The downward angle reveals terrain features that would be unseen with low-mounted lights. The past ten years in the snow and rain says fogs should be yellow and low. You can still use yellow fogs off-road, in addition to the high white lights. What they illuminate is so close that color doesn’t matter.

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
I have the Amber Baja Designs SAE fog lights installed with factory harness. They work out great but I need some supplemental Amber lights for distance. Looking at the new LP4's but damn they're expensive. White is great as long as there is no dust, no snow, no fog, and no particulates in the air. I also have amber scene lighting for at camp because white attracts bugs.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Get a bulbs with both.
Modern technology.

OP
OP
bobafetske

bobafetske

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Amber Baja Designs SAE fog lights installed with factory harness. They work out great but I need some supplemental Amber lights for distance. Looking at the new LP4's but damn they're expensive. White is great as long as there is no dust, no snow, no fog, and no particulates in the air. I also have amber scene lighting for at camp because white attracts bugs.
Noticeably brighter than the stock fog lights? I'm in the city but there is plenty of snow in the winter.

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
Noticeably brighter than the stock fog lights? I'm in the city but there is plenty of snow in the winter.
Not a huge difference in brightness. That is the trade off when going with Amber. However, the contrast is much better especially in snow. For me it's about depth perception for all of the grooves in the terrain. It would be great to have two sets like others suggest to meet all conditions but for the most part I prefer Amber. Either way going with Baja Designs is a safe bet. Their temp scale on white is easy on the eyes too if you suffer from eye fatigue. Too bad they cost so much or I would have a lightbar, LP4's and other random lights around. I have two S2 Sports in Amber coming in today. But I also have them in white for backup lights.

Plus Amber just looks Bad Ass!

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting ready to order the SAE Compliant fog lights by Baja Designs. Just not sure to get white or amber. I know both are way brother than the stock fog lights, just not sure which to order. Anybody have them and a preference and why? Thanks in advance.
I've always run with amber on any vehicles I've installed them on. It cuts thru fog and haze better with much less bounce back. Personally I would like an amber led light bar most lights to the front and the ends pointing to the sides
Sponsored