Alternator Compatibility (and availability)

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
I had gotten a little off topic in another thread so I thought I'd move it here...

For all the reasons discussed in other threads, I thought I would order up an alternator now, before it becomes a problem at the wrong time and in the wrong place.

The parts guy I was talking to said there were two. Mine, for around $300ish, and the Tremor for around $500ish. I'm guessing that the tremor part puts out more amperage? (comments welcome please) I would consider it if I knew it would retrofit in to my FX4. Can anyone shed light on this? Also, are there any pitfalls in installing a (potentially) higher amperage alternator into my 2021 FX4 Lariat?

Thanks

B.
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Ford's everyday Ranger's alternator is spec'd at 150 amps (XLT), although my ID tag says 165 amps. Unless you're going to install huge off-road lighting, I can't imagine why you'd need more?

I've heard the Tremor's is rated 190 amps, but I haven't been able to confirm that. Nonetheless, if you really want alternator power, contact Alternator Parts (https://alternatorparts.com).

There are another issues, however. On modern vehicles, with automatic Stop/Start, the ECM expects certain battery parameters to be present. When they're not, the ECM may decide something is wrong, thus turning on the MIL. And, you may have to upgrade some underhood wiring, depending on your needs. The guys at Alternator Parts are fairly sharp, but not infallible (they're not high-power, amateur radio kind of guys). Off-road? That's another story.

One more thing. If you want to emulate the new F150's contractors power unit, visit Aura Systems (http://aurasystems.com/auragen.html). You can weld with their alternators!

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
For all the reasons discussed in other threads, I thought I would order up an alternator now,
I am really curious why you would order a new alternator. As i sit here it makes absolutely no sense to me, but I am sure you must have a good reason why.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I am really curious why you would order a new alternator. As i sit here it makes absolutely no sense to me, but I am sure you must have a good reason why.
That's my thought too. In my 50+ years of driving it has been my experience that if it doesn't suffer an early life failure in the warranty period it will last many many years, like 7 to 20. Also, the longer you wait the cheaper they get. A lifetime gaurantee rebuilt alternator are typically less than $100.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To say the least tye factory alternator is very capable in the Ranger and possibly overrated(if I remember correctly I could have sworn it was rated between 170-180 amps). Not what difference could the Tremor bring? My only guess would be a more sealed alternator that can take more of a beating Offroad. That would be my guess and a fair reason to make the switch. Other than that I have no idea.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
People carry spare alternators for the Ranger when off-roading due to the very real possibility of a water crossing killing your alt.

Several on here have had their alternators die after a water crossing since the Ranger alt sits so low.

Several Youtube videos about it as well.

We're hoping that since the Bronco uses the same engine, maybe an aftermarket vendor will come out with a sealed unit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brett Fields

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paramedic
Wow guys, so much to unpack here. Thank you so much. A few thoughts:

I'd been a non-car guy most of my life. My vehicle was a mere conveyance and I never took any interest in car related stuff. Then I got my Ranger... Then I took an off road driving class. Now I'm totally consumed with all things Ranger, off road, and overlanding.

I'm also concerned with the availability of parts. Like DGC333 illustrates, I've also never had an alternator fail. That said, I've never done any off road driving prior to my Ranger. (I drive emergency vehicles daily) My goal (once I find someone to tend my many cats) is to get more involved with Overlanding and visit many off the places on my wish list. I'd like to have a few key parts squirreled away so I don't get caught somewhere awaiting a delivery.

Regarding my interest in a higher amperage alternator, I figure why not. If it doesn't hurt anything, the higher output would offer some flexibility for accessories TBD.

Thank you all again for your input,

Brett

OP
OP
Brett Fields

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paramedic
... I've heard the Tremor's is rated 190 amps, but I haven't been able to confirm that. Nonetheless, if you really want alternator power, contact Alternator Parts (https://alternatorparts.com).
I called Alternatorparts.com. The gentleman who answered said that he only did Ranger alternators up to 2016. (was there a 2016 ranger?) Anyway, he said 2019+ was too new.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I called Alternatorparts.com. The gentleman who answered said that he only did Ranger alternators up to 2016. (was there a 2016 ranger?) Anyway, he said 2019+ was too new.
Chances are up to 2016 the ranger might have been for other countries. I can't remember the exact year that Ford discontinue the ranger for the United States but I know it was close to that time

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My only guess would be a more sealed alternator that can take more of a beating Offroad.
We're hoping that since the Bronco uses the same engine, maybe an aftermarket vendor will come out with a sealed unit.
I keep hearing this.

There really isn't any such thing as a sealed, or watertight alternator.

A relocation kit, if it's possible to fit elsewhere, would be more likely.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I keep hearing this.

There really isn't any such thing as a sealed, or watertight alternator.

A relocation kit, if it's possible to fit elsewhere, would be more likely.
In Australia there is!! They do way more of that stuff then we do. They do it so much that they make aftermarket kits for different vehicles out there!!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Chances are up to 2016 the ranger might have been for other countries. I can't remember the exact year that Ford discontinue the ranger for the United States but I know it was close to that time
Previous generation last year build was 2012. For 2016 would be ROW Rangers most likely.

What kills our alternators more than anything else is mud. Water to a point but they can take a good long dunk and spin dry and keep humming along. Once dirt or mud enters internals all bets are off.

What we need is one of two things. Relocate current alternator up higher (aftermarket brackets) or a sealed unit with vents that are at the top of the engine compartment.

As far as spares, junkyards have them already. Try carparts.com

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
In Australia there is!! They do way more of that stuff then we do. They do it so much that they make aftermarket kits for different vehicles out there!!
They make one, for Toyotas, and it's a roughly $1800 alternator. That'd buy a man a lot of spares.

The Ford EB 2.3l is not used in Australia, and the Bronco isn't being sold there. I seriously don't see an Australian company spending any coin to design anything for the outgoing model of the US Ranger.

At best it would end up like the LRA fuel tank. ;)