Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
All Keylocks froze after touchless car wash :frown:

I know this sounds a little "old fashion" but on my 2019 Ford Ranger XL today, after a touchless car wash,
all my keylocks froze when the temperature dropped to below freezing later in the day. All keylocks did not turn - fortunately, I was at home and was able to unfreeze them all with "3-in-one Lock Dry Lube" :whew:
Hope this helps (Handy stuff sold at Lowe's);)

BTW ... I believe the touchless car wash water jets blew the keylock "doors" open just enough for moisture penetration. ;)
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

This is one of the main reasons I don't wash my vehicles in the winter. It never gets warm enough for the water to dry instead of freeze. Locks freeze like yours, doors freeze shut, brakes freeze up, suspension freezes, etc.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of the main reasons I don't wash my vehicles in the winter. It never gets warm enough for the water to dry instead of freeze. Locks freeze like yours, doors freeze shut, brakes freeze up, suspension freezes, etc.
Sounds reasonable, but I need to get the salt off my vehicle. Next time I will tape the keylocks doors before entering the car wash. I saw a fairly new Colorado, the other day, and it had major rusting near the bottom of the doors.

Deleted member 1634

Sounds reasonable, but I need to get the salt off my vehicle. Next time I will tape the keylocks doors before entering the car wash. I saw a fairly new Colorado, the other day, and it had major rusting near the bottom of the doors.
I guess here it hardly ever gets warm enough for the salt to actually do any reacting. Anytime it gets above freezing I'll try and swing by a carwash, but that doesn't usually happen until April or May. If I lived in a place like Ohio (ewww haha), I probably would try and wash it more often. But not washing and having the whole vehicle rust out around you is just a way of life for me. If we Americans keep insisting on using steel for everything on vehicles, then this is just the way it is in my eyes, a losing battle.

If you can come up with a solution more power to you. Seems like it might get annoying having to tape over the locks everytime you want a wash, but if that's what it takes then you don't really have a choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
When I lived in the Metro area, I ran my cars through washes at least 2-3 times a week (good old $1 washes)...more concerned about the salt sludge build up than frozen lock(s) which doesn't really stay frozen for long if at all...:)

Deleted member 1634

When I lived in the Metro area, I ran my cars through washes at least 2-3 times a week (good old $1 washes)...more concerned about the salt sludge build up than frozen lock(s) which doesn't really stay frozen for long if at all...:)
Yeah, even down there it gets noticeably warmer than up north here. I think I personally have just given up and accepted that my truck is going to rust out eventually, just like every other vehicle me and my family have ever had.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The car wash problem is, touchless uses very high pressure to clean and the non touchless uses old rags or brushes rubbing all over your paint. Sounds like touchless should not be used if you live where it freezes. I think that touchless would be bad cause the water will be forced into places that you dont want it, even when it is not freezing. Anybody have any info as to testing which is better or worse.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I found that by using "adhesive dots" or circle stickers (non permanent), from Staples, and plumber's putty will prevent moisture from entering the keylock "doors" but having the de-icer keylock spray handy, at all times, for backup .;) BTW - I would never allow a car wash abrasive brush to ever touch my Ranger's paint:thumbsdown:

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
besides, your shin shredding running boards would likely get all tangled up in the brushes
Not a problem because they are "blunt" acorn nuts.;) So far, they have protected my vehicle doors from careless door dingers :wink:

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I washed the salt off mine and(it was cold outside). By the time I got home the collision sensors were activating while driving forward or at a stand still, no one around empty lot. Iced up I guess. I tapped each one and the problem went away.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I washed the salt off mine and(it was cold outside). By the time I got home the collision sensors were activating while driving forward or at a stand still, no one around empty lot. Iced up I guess. I tapped each one and the problem went away.
Can you share (the location on the Ranger) where you tapped each one?

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Front and rear bumpers, small round devices.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Front and rear bumpers, small round devices.
The Ford owners manual pages 200 and 201 shows the pre-collision camera behind the rear view mirror and behind a fascia cover near the driver side?

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
You are correct, I meant to type in parking sensors
Sponsored

Last edited: