Wyatt Owenby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Student
Hey y'all,

Anyone have any issues with their AC freezing up on them, or just me?

Outside temp was 85°
Climate temp was 74° on auto setting

Noticed the truck starting to get a little stuffy inside, so I bumped the AC down 2 degrees thinking the auto would take over. Nope, no changes. Felt like vents were blowing weak.

I pulled over and took out the cabin air filter to check if it was clogged. No problems there. Filter looked good to go and didn't help with the air. I left the filter out to further diagnose the problem.

I then popped the hood to check the compressor and lines because, why not? Lol
Turns out there was major freezing on the coolant lines.

Anyone got any ideas on what might cause this?

IMG_20200804_172404.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Wyatt Owenby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Student
More pictures, ice falling off.

IMG_20200804_182751.jpg

IMG_20200804_182716.jpg

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
could be a few different things...pressure switch issue, refrigerant levels wrong, thermostat control issue.

regardless it needs to go back to the dealer I think.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Looking at that the main thing that will cause that is a restriction in the low side before that point. The most likely cause is the TXV/or expansion valve. Very possible you have a faulty one.

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My truck has this problem last month, took it in and it was low on refrigerant.
I’m guessing it was low from day one. For one they couldn’t locate a leak and two, before they charged it the refrigerant was always noisy when it first started circulating on startup. I’m not sure I would have noticed it on my short trips to work but we had taken it on a road trip and had the exact symptoms you’re having. So far so good but I’m keeping an eye on it.

vittoesmith

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2919 SLT Ranger
Occupation
retired
Have the same problem. Took a trip to Idaho from Florida a month ago and it didn't work properly for at least 50% of the time. Just took it in today and they could find nothing wrong. Took it in a couple of months ago for the same problem, recharged it and said it was ok. When it happens again I was told to bring it in asap, if convenient, and maybe they can diagnose it then. We will see.

OP
OP

Wyatt Owenby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Student
Have the same problem. Took a trip to Idaho from Florida a month ago and it didn't work properly for at least 50% of the time. Just took it in today and they could find nothing wrong. Took it in a couple of months ago for the same problem, recharged it and said it was ok. When it happens again I was told to bring it in asap, if convenient, and maybe they can diagnose it then. We will see.
Mine is at the dealer now, so we'll see what they find. Dropped it off today

NoleDawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Mine is at the dealer now, so we'll see what they find. Dropped it off today
I’ve got the same thing going on. Was your dealer able to recreate and fix it?

Mine runs cold for 10-15 min before crapping out, I’m concerned they are going to think I’m crazy and do nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Wyatt Owenby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Student
I’ve got the same thing going on. Was your dealer able to recreate and fix it?

Mine runs cold for 10-15 min before crapping our I’m concerned they are going to think I’m crazy and do nothing.
Take a picture of the frozen lines. They saw my pictures and didn't bother trying to recreate it. Sadly, the compressor was on back order forever. So here soon I'll have parts. :)

ThirstyRed

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
public.tableau.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Data Analyst
Could this be a bad "temp sensor"? Took mine in for this and they said "bad temp sensor". Said temp sensor was constantly showing outside temp at 180 degrees. Said unfortunately the part (even for Warranty priority) will not be available for 1 month. Any comments appreciated. Not so sure they even looked at problem (setting on my AC did not change from when I dropped it off as I had it cranked up for heat to 85 degrees it was cold outside the morning I dropped it, when I picked it up, same settings). I had pics just like above etc. Dealer understaffed and overworked. Had to leave truck for 3 days just for this. Were they putting me off for overwork/come back later or could a "bad temp sensor" actually be the problem?

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
the outside temp sensor is basically only going to affect the temp reading I think?
the automatic temp control possibly uses it for an outside "temperature load" sensor but the inside temp is the most important. even if that one was bad though it still wouldn't cause freezing as the refrigerant system has internal pressure sensors on the low and high side to keep it from freezing up on the lines.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Most likely low on refrigerant as several have mentioned. I’m sure some dealers will throw parts at it though.
Sponsored