Aftermarket Sub in Stock B&O Woofer Enclosure

hdralleiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I am looking to do some modest stereo upgrades to my '20 XLT and have read through the many threads here about speakers, subs, etc. One thing I haven't really seen discussed is the possibility of fitting an aftermarket shallow profile sub into the factory B&O enclosure... Has anyone done this? Any idea how much volume that factory enclosure has? Maybe it's not a viable option but looking at ways to add to the lower end bass without taking away any space in the cab. I am not looking for neighborhood pounding sound, just something to hit a little lower than the door speakers. I'm looking to do some Polk or Focal separates up front and matching coaxials in the rear doors and considered a 5ch amp to also add a small concealed sub behind the rear seat like the stock setup. The factory woofer box is avail for like $150 but i've never seen one in person so it's hard to judge if that idea will even work..

My apologies if this has been asked.. I searched and came up empty.

THanks!

Hank
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The size of the factory box is restrictive, both volume and driver size, 5" I want to say.

You'd do much better with a box built into the storage cubbies or even a custom behind the seat box.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Did you locate a drop in replacement? I wouldn't mind swapping my B&O sub out if it's plug and play with the oem wiring and amp.

FourMoreG

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger 4x4 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Driver
I am looking to do some modest stereo upgrades to my '20 XLT and have read through the many threads here about speakers, subs, etc. One thing I haven't really seen discussed is the possibility of fitting an aftermarket shallow profile sub into the factory B&O enclosure... Has anyone done this? Any idea how much volume that factory enclosure has? Maybe it's not a viable option but looking at ways to add to the lower end bass without taking away any space in the cab. I am not looking for neighborhood pounding sound, just something to hit a little lower than the door speakers. I'm looking to do some Polk or Focal separates up front and matching coaxials in the rear doors and considered a 5ch amp to also add a small concealed sub behind the rear seat like the stock setup. The factory woofer box is avail for like $150 but i've never seen one in person so it's hard to judge if that idea will even work..

My apologies if this has been asked.. I searched and came up empty.

THanks!

Hank
I replaced my B&O OEM subwoofer DRIVER on my 2021 Ranger Super Crew Lariat (factory equipped with 501A option set, which included a B&O audio system upgrade), but continue to use the B&O OEM sub enclosure (See Note # below).

The 4-ohm, 6.5” diameter, JL AUDIO model# 6W3V3-4 sub driver was my choice because:
A) this JL driver fits inside the existing B&O sub enclosure. I note that I located Very Few subwoofer driver alternatives.
B) I wanted to tighten up the base frequencies (over the B&O sub’s performance, which I found lacking in an “audiophile SQL way“), and STILL use the B&O head unit.
Note: To avoid repeating what has already been stated on past R5G forum threads, I suggest those posts be viewed BEFORE you read further.
C) JL Audio, personally, has a positive reputation for solid build quality, design, performance, customer support, distribution, warranty.
D) maintains 4 ohm resistance, to match B&O gear. I believe in maintaining OEM ohm values and not change.
E) This Driver is highly rated across various applications and over several WEB & in-person sources And Manufactured in the USA.

Additionally, I also replaced the front & rear-door B&O component speakers with pair of FOCAL model# ICU-165, & pair of model# ISU-165.
I also replaced/augmented (see note ## below) the B&O power amps with one low-heat, compact sized JL Audio 5-channel (4 ohm outputs) amp model# XD700/5v2, using 4 gauge copper wire.
I also added a JL Audio remote control for specific subwoofer gain adjustment model# RBC-1, and JL Audio speaker grille Model# SGRU-6.

No photos were taken during this build due to serious time constraints. Sorry. I would consider adding photos of easily accessible, installed gear, if requested.

#Footnote: The B&O sealed enclosure was modified by adding a custom MDF top cover to mount the JL Audio driver. Also added acoustic dry-fill and a layer of acoustic deadening material, to reduce vibration induced distortion and the enclosure left as a sealed, NON-PORTED model, as originally designed by B&O. The PROPER SEATING/SEALING OF THE JL DRIVER IS VERY IMPORTANT !
VERY!
I Strongly suggest you achieve 100% smooth, driver seating with MDF, if you decide to embrace a similar build.

##Footnote: the B&O subwoofer amp was left installed and wired for maintaining Required B&O SUB frequency pass-through SIGNAL connection, but NOT POWER outputS TO speakers. This was a Tad complicated and a knowledgeable technical support is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.

Please know that I am a Very demanding SQL listener and am truly satisfied with the results. The JL Audio subwoofer delivers, as installed, a tight frequency linear profile, when compared to the OEM gear.

I note that my 2021 upgraded Ranger ambient acoustics are Remarkably better than Anything else that I have checked out.

I have achieved my quest.

All hardware purchased from Crutchfield.com.

Last edited:

Burista

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger
Occupation
Student @ UNR
I replaced my B&O OEM subwoofer DRIVER on my 2021 Ranger Super Crew Lariat (factory equipped with 501A option set, which included a B&O audio system upgrade), but continue to use the B&O OEM sub enclosure (See Note # below).

The 4-ohm, 6.5” diameter, JL AUDIO model# 6W3V3-4 sub driver was my choice because:
A) this JL driver fits inside the existing B&O sub enclosure. I note that I located Very Few subwoofer driver alternatives.
B) I wanted to tighten up the base frequencies (over the B&O sub’s performance, which I found lacking in an “audiophile SQL way“), and STILL use the B&O head unit.
Note: To avoid repeating what has already been stated on past R5G forum threads, I suggest those posts be viewed BEFORE you read further.
C) JL Audio, personally, has a positive reputation for solid build quality, design, performance, customer support, distribution, warranty.
D) maintains 4 ohm resistance, to match B&O gear. I believe in maintaining OEM ohm values and not change.
E) This Driver is highly rated across various applications and over several WEB & in-person sources And Manufactured in the USA.

Additionally, I also replaced the front & rear-door B&O component speakers with pair of FOCAL model# ICU-165, & pair of model# ISU-165.
I also replaced/augmented (see note ## below) the B&O power amps with one low-heat, compact sized JL Audio 5-channel (4 ohm outputs) amp model# XD700/5v2, using 4 gauge copper wire.
I also added a JL Audio remote control for specific subwoofer gain adjustment model# RBC-1, and JL Audio speaker grille Model# SGRU-6.

No photos were taken during this build due to serious time constraints. Sorry. I would consider adding photos of easily accessible, installed gear, if requested.

#Footnote: The B&O sealed enclosure was modified by adding a custom MDF top cover to mount the JL Audio driver. Also added acoustic dry-fill and a layer of acoustic deadening material, to reduce vibration induced distortion and the enclosure left as a sealed, NON-PORTED model, as originally designed by B&O. The PROPER SEATING/SEALING OF THE JL DRIVER IS VERY IMPORTANT !
VERY!
I Strongly suggest you achieve 100% smooth, driver seating with MDF, if you decide to embrace a similar build.

##Footnote: the B&O subwoofer amp was left installed and wired for maintaining Required B&O SUB frequency pass-through SIGNAL connection, but NOT POWER outputS TO speakers. This was a Tad complicated and a knowledgeable technical support is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.

Please know that I am a Very demanding SQL listener and am truly satisfied with the results. The JL Audio subwoofer delivers, as installed, a tight frequency linear profile, when compared to the OEM gear.

I note that my 2021 upgraded Ranger ambient acoustics are Remarkably better than Anything else that I have checked out.

I have achieved my quest.

All hardware purchased from Crutchfield.com.
Would you mind posting pictures of the sub and the MDF driver seating you're describing, I'm interested in doing something similar?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Would you mind posting pictures of the sub and the MDF driver seating you're describing, I'm interested in doing something similar?
Agreed, I am looking to do something similar with my B&O sub, so any pictured of the mounting setup would be wonderful.

FourMoreG

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Driver
I will try to take photos, after I return back, around June 15. Please know that the customized JL driver mounting MDF surface, for the B&O OEM sub enclosure, was covered with carpet to match surrounding seat back surface, so details might not be visibly obvious, but I will make an effort.

FourMoreG

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Driver
I will try to take photos, after I return back, around June 15. Please know that the customized JL driver mounting MDF surface, for the B&O OEM sub enclosure, was covered with carpet to match surrounding seat back surface, so details might not be visibly obvious, but I will make an effort.
I attach one photo of the sub enclosure cover, that was specially constructed for mounting the JL sub driver. The cover is MDF covered with carpet material that is similar to OEM carpet. This is about it, visually, because the cover is soft-sealed to the OEM sub enclosure, to minimize vibration-induced distortion. The area below the cover is not easily accessible.

5F45D0AF-9A5F-4B94-8CC0-96835206B80C.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: