Upgrading Factory 4" Sync Lite Display (300A)

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Last edited:
First Name
Ameridorian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL CC 4x4
Spendy OEM option. I just upgraded the XL 4" to 8" with navigation from infotainment.com yesterday. They ask for VIN # to make sure it has right software & will match truck. Took my laptop out with me and stopped & started each step of the U tube video. Took my time & pretty easy going. Two hour or less job. Turned on key & everything worked as it should. Paired I phone and u-tube & Pandora options on the screen worked. Nav came right up. Ford app on phone for remote start worked. All steering wheel controls worked. I expected some kind of headache but zero issues.
First thing I noticed were speakers sounded much better but am still going to upgrade them. Back up camera on the 8" is worth it alone to me.
Cheaper options out there but may lose steering wheel controls or have other issues if you can live with that.

PapiBigP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Spendy OEM option. I just upgraded the XL 4" to 8" with navigation from infotainment.com yesterday. They ask for VIN # to make sure it has right software & will match truck. Took my laptop out with me and stopped & started each step of the U tube video. Took my time & pretty easy going. Two hour or less job. Turned on key & everything worked as it should. Paired I phone and u-tube & Pandora options on the screen worked. Nav came right up. Ford app on phone for remote start worked. All steering wheel controls worked. I expected some kind of headache but zero issues.
First thing I noticed were speakers sounded much better but am still going to upgrade them. Back up camera on the 8" is worth it alone to me.
Cheaper options out there but may lose steering wheel controls or have other issues if you can live with that.
Thanks for that insight! You’ve given me a lot to think about. It’s pricey but might be the best overall option to go with if it’s as simple as you say and the video shows. I’m seriously considering this as an option now. Thanks again for the input!

PapiBigP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Is there a reason you chose infotainment.com over 4Dtech.com? Just curious. They look to be the only options out there but they have the same package and price.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Is there a reason you chose infotainment.com over 4Dtech.com? Just curious. They look to be the only options out there but they have the same package and price.
My guess would be that he prefered that company. I will also state that i feel the Factory speakers sound good with the OEM Sync3 system without B&O

First Name
Ameridorian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL CC 4x4
No reason on the preference other than Co looked reputable. I would assume the other outfit would need the VIN too if they are apples for apples. Also noticed this weekend that I can split into 3 screens with larger one the NAV. Co. allows the option to send them the removed items for a extended year warranty if you want that. I'm going to look at speaker upgrade at some point.

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all! I just bought a 2019 XL and the one thing I didn’t pay attention to was the 4.2” stereo until after I bought it. I have read several threads here as well as what some of the sites that sell stereo equipment have stated.

One site that sells equipment says that I will lose Bluetooth, Sync and the backup camera. Another site that sells install parts says I can keep the factory settings. I’ve read here where some folks have successfully installed a stereo and kept everything.

I’m really confused about what I can do and the complexity of this install. If I can do an install and keep my settings does anyone have a list of components that I would need to do that? As far as the head unit goes I would like to stay in the $500 range.

Any help would be most appreciated!
You can do an aftermarket setup very easily. If you use the maestro harness you retain all factory options. I did not use maestro as it was not fully out yet, but many have done it now and you keep all factory options, including backup camera, steering wheel controls, sync, factory bluetooth ect. I also still have steering wheel controls and backup camera with the aftermarket option i chose., but it was a little trickier.

20200722_183958.jpg

waffles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Thank you for all this info! I just installed an after market HU and was planning on forgetting about the backup camera, but thanks to this post I just ordered that adapter and will see if I can get it working. Thanks a ton!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Hi all,

So I bit the bullet and tore apart my dash to install a Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX and I'm happy with it thus far except that I cannot get the backup camera to work with it (puzzled currently).

Here's my part list for anyone interested:

1. Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX
2. Metra 99-5857B Dash Kit (Matte Black)
3. iDatalink Maestro RR Interface Module
4. iDatalink Connec HRN-RR-FO2 Factory Integration Adapter
5. Metra 40-EU10 Antenna Adapter
6. Crutchfield "ReadyHarness" service.

63037205970__10A9CC4F-69D1-45BD-8664-3240C6D91D6E.png

I thought that with the iDatalink FO2 factory integration adapter that the camera would work out of the box, but unfortunately that is not the case (at least not for me).

Below is a picture of the backup camera connected to the input on the radio. The yellow RCA cable comes out of the adapter harness that connects to my Maestro RR module and I have it plugged into the aftermarket headunit.

Interestingly, the large connector that is at the top of the photo below does not connect to anything post-install (and it used to connect to the factory 4" screen).

IMG_0281.jpg

And I did notice that my harness had an unused connection (which I thought should connect to what used to connect to the 4" screen, but they are completely different sizes), which I suspect may have something to do with the camera not working. Picture below where I have it in my hand.

IMG_0283.jpg

Another picture of that unused plug (I think this is the power for the camera that is currently missing).

IMG_0282.jpg

I'm planning on calling iDatalink Maestro tomorrow to see what they say as I could not find any Ford Ranger specific documentation, though I wanted to post this here to see if any of you had run into this issue with the backup camera with the same adapter and had found a solution.
On my old pioneer unit in the settings you can turn it on and also change polarity. Chances are that’s what’s going on. BTW camera uses 3 wires, positive, ground and signal out (yellow RCA connector)

afewgoodfingers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I've thought about doing this but I have an XL without the dual climate controls and it kinda kills me that these kits only come with dual climate buttons.

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
I've thought about doing this but I have an XL without the dual climate controls and it kinda kills me that these kits only come with dual climate buttons.
Well if you did this upgrade you wouldn't need the buttons it can be done on the screen. But the upgraded buttons can be used in your xl, or you could still use your old setup the button part is still similar shape wise. If you went aftermarket then your buttons work fine. That's what I did and it was a cheaper and better sounding option then the 8 inch upgrade.

690sumo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger xl
Occupation
Real estate
I just installed the pinoeer 4660nex, everything seems to work as expected. However the climate setting doesn't show up. Is anyone else's climate screen working? Is there maybe something I need to enable in forscan?

Also if I unplug the obd connector, I have to manually reset the idatalink to get it to work again. Which will be a real pain later on after the dash is put back together as it's not easy to access.

daveRave13

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XL Crewcab
Occupation
web developer
You can do an aftermarket setup very easily. If you use the maestro harness you retain all factory options. I did not use maestro as it was not fully out yet, but many have done it now and you keep all factory options, including backup camera, steering wheel controls, sync, factory bluetooth ect. I also still have steering wheel controls and backup camera with the aftermarket option i chose., but it was a little trickier.

20200722_183958.jpg
Hey thank you for posting this. Can you describe what you did to get the reverse camera working without Maestro? I bought the Metra one and I'm debating just cutting my losses and going for the Maestro.

EDIT: I ended up using the adapter from PAC that is recommended for f150s. Link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881YFJYX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Last edited:

bzmotoninja83

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2014 Focus 2000 Explorer 1987 Goldwing

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'm currently on the search for head units to replace the 4.2 unit. I came across this thread, but is there a better or more recent thread?
Sponsored