After market Oil Filter's and such...FYI

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I was briefly a member (after years of visting the site) of a well know oil/filter forum, I will not mention it's name. But, people post cut open filters, oil analysis and most of all, fan boy opinions of "their" brand. Anyhow, there was an insightful (I thought) thread about a Mazda 6 having catastrophic engine failure due to a name brand aftermarket oil filter failing. The thread was locked, actually 2 threads on the subject because the site is extremely biased to the filter brand in question. Anyhow, I personally know of a lady in my neighborhood who had a Chevy Cruze engine failure (about 1 or 2 years ago). The dealer diagnosed it as an oil filter failure causing the engine to seize. The lady had receipts of the filter being the applicable filter (Napa/ Wix) and the garage who changed the oil. She took her receipts to Napa who told her "It's GM's problem, the filter we sold you was correct and it meets or exceeds OEM specs". I don't know the rest of her story, how the filter failed etc., but I do believe she stopped fighting, traded the car in on another brand and said she'd never by another GM or another part from Napa. I personally think Napa/Wix are some of the best filters out there, but I see her point, I'd do the same. So in the Mazda example (I'll post link at end), the Silicon Anti-drain back valve ended up in the engine and restricted oil flow causing internal damage. Her case is ongoing, but as I said, the forum locked the thread due to brand loyalty. So.....my point is, I am guilty of using aftermarket oil filters, and in the case of my Ranger, not the proper Motorcraft as I have used a 400S starting with my second oil change. I am not sure what Ford's position would be on a warranty claim with a 400. I am sure it would end up a headache for me. I use Napa equivalent filters on my second car that also calls for the 910S. Going forward, I think I'll run MC 910s on both until the 5/60K powertrain expires. In reality, the 400s would only be beneficial for extended oil changes, and I do 5k religously anyhow. As to why I bought the Napa's? I don't think they are any better than the MC, they were just on sale so I bought them. Just wanted to share.

Mazda 6 Engine Failure/bad oil filter
Sponsored

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I was briefly a member (after years of visting the site) of a well know oil/filter forum, I will not mention it's name. But, people post cut open filters, oil analysis and most of all, fan boy opinions of "their" brand. Anyhow, there was an insightful (I thought) thread about a Mazda 6 having catastrophic engine failure due to a name brand aftermarket oil filter failing. The thread was locked, actually 2 threads on the subject because the site is extremely biased to the filter brand in question. Anyhow, I personally know of a lady in my neighborhood who had a Chevy Cruze engine failure (about 1 or 2 years ago). The dealer diagnosed it as an oil filter failure causing the engine to seize. The lady had receipts of the filter being the applicable filter (Napa/ Wix) and the garage who changed the oil. She took her receipts to Napa who told her "It's GM's problem, the filter we sold you was correct and it meets or exceeds OEM specs". I don't know the rest of her story, how the filter failed etc., but I do believe she stopped fighting, traded the car in on another brand and said she'd never by another GM or another part from Napa. I personally think Napa/Wix are some of the best filters out there, but I see her point, I'd do the same. So in the Mazda example (I'll post link at end), the Silicon Anti-drain back valve ended up in the engine and restricted oil flow causing internal damage. Her case is ongoing, but as I said, the forum locked the thread due to brand loyalty. So.....my point is, I am guilty of using aftermarket oil filters, and in the case of my Ranger, not the proper Motorcraft as I have used a 400S starting with my second oil change. I am not sure what Ford's position would be on a warranty claim with a 400. I am sure it would end up a headache for me. I use Napa equivalent filters on my second car that also calls for the 910S. Going forward, I think I'll run MC 910s on both until the 5/60K powertrain expires. In reality, the 400s would only be beneficial for extended oil changes, and I do 5k religously anyhow. As to why I bought the Napa's? I don't think they are any better than the MC, they were just on sale so I bought them. Just wanted to share.

Mazda 6 Engine Failure/bad oil filter
I don't know why you would ever use anything other than a Motorcraft 910S filter for your Ranger? Pretty sure Ford has the filter thing figured out ;)
I would not use ANY aftermarket filter for oil if you own a Ford. I plan on getting a Mishimoto magnetic drain plug but that just helps the filter and engine with metal. I've got 40K on my tuned Ranger and push her ALL the time HARD! I don't have fuel in the oil or any problems what so ever with my powertrain. I've been running Mobil 1 Extended with a MC 910S since 1500K when I did my first oil change. My Blackstone report was outstanding so I think I'm right on target with my oil/filter setup....

OP
OP

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I don't know why you would ever use anything other than a Motorcraft 910S filter for your Ranger? Pretty sure Ford has the filter thing figured out ;)
I would not use ANY aftermarket filter for oil if you own a Ford. I plan on getting a Mishimoto magnetic drain plug but that just helps the filter and engine with metal. I've got 40K on my tuned Ranger and push her ALL the time HARD! I don't have fuel in the oil or any problems what so ever with my powertrain. I've been running Mobil 1 Extended with a MC 910S since 1500K when I did my first oil change. My Blackstone report was outstanding so I think I'm right on target with my oil/filter setup....
I would pit the MC 910, 400 and 500 against anything in their class for regular maintenance. They are high quality and I've seen several cut open and they look great 99.9% of the time. The factory FoMoCo filter is (at last check) made by WIX. They are great filters too. The 910 does have some issues of the Silicon ADBV having small, harmless cuts from where it seats against the base plate. Not all of them are like this, but I have seen them. I always check any filter I buy in person. Things happen, humans are involved in the manufacturing. Likely human error is what happened in the Mazda case above and the neighbors case with her Cruze. Either during manufacture or damaged somewhere between shipping and installing. I have always scoffed at the "If you run anything other than (factory) parts, it will void your warranty". The fact is, they would have to prove this. Which with something like oil is far fetched. But, finding a piece of an oil filter logged in the engine, it better be a filter made/marketed by the brand vehicle you're driving. So, just to save some headache, I'll run nothing but 910's on both my Fords. Once the warranty is up, I have 4 high quality Napa/Wix and 3 400s that will get used up. ?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
i just ordered Motorcraft for my next change. This thread makes sense. Thanks.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Very interesting. I run the Motorcraft on my '19 just bc of the ease of obtaining it locally. I trust MC and if there were issues, the branding cannot be questioned. For my '87 and it's 2.9L, know to have oil issues, I have run nothing but Motorcraft until the mid-2000s when I swapped to Bosch. The Bosch is shorter and thicker than the equivalent Motorcraft, and vastly improved lifter rattle on start up. Almost 300k now on it.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Some people like the warrantee, some don't care.
I like it.
I go to dealer till the 5 yrs are up, then anything goes.....
If something fails, they are going to have a hard time denying it.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I would pit the MC 910, 400 and 500 against anything in their class for regular maintenance. They are high quality and I've seen several cut open and they look great 99.9% of the time. The factory FoMoCo filter is (at last check) made by WIX. They are great filters too. The 910 does have some issues of the Silicon ADBV having small, harmless cuts from where it seats against the base plate. Not all of them are like this, but I have seen them. I always check any filter I buy in person. Things happen, humans are involved in the manufacturing. Likely human error is what happened in the Mazda case above and the neighbors case with her Cruze. Either during manufacture or damaged somewhere between shipping and installing. I have always scoffed at the "If you run anything other than (factory) parts, it will void your warranty". The fact is, they would have to prove this. Which with something like oil is far fetched. But, finding a piece of an oil filter logged in the engine, it better be a filter made/marketed by the brand vehicle you're driving. So, just to save some headache, I'll run nothing but 910's on both my Fords. Once the warranty is up, I have 4 high quality Napa/Wix and 3 400s that will get used up. ?
Iā€™m really glad to hear that WIX makes MC filters! I only use a WIX on my other vehicle. Interestingly, with the factory air filter, I could only find it at the dealer who wants a fortune! Canā€™t buy ANY aftermarket yet locally. Iā€™m into a K&N drop-in now with the aFe power scoop attached to the stock air box. I call it my homemade CAI...?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
WIX actually makes 2 different filters for our engines. 51348 and 51348XP. The latter being for off-road and heavy use.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I had mixed emotions about responding to this but....I owned a large auto parts store for 27 years and sold hundreds of thousands of filters and never had one alleged engine failure due to the filter. I did get involved (at a dealers request)in 1 claim against the brand (My guess) that the OP would not name, that I did not sell. It was due to the filter literally blowing off and the engine failing from no oil. The claim was that the filter bypass valve failed and caused it. The filter was sent in for testing and the engine was torn down. At that point I sent the OE oil pump to Melling (probably who made it for OE) for testing. It came back that the pressure relief valve was stuck, due to a metal shaving stuck in it, and the pressure had gone unrestricted. Engine was not new and who knows where a sliver of metal came from so customer paid. I have been thru the Wix facility in Gastonia NC and put one on my truck yesterday. Only point is things aren't always as they at first seem.

OP
OP

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Iā€™m really glad to hear that WIX makes MC filters! I only use a WIX on my other vehicle. Interestingly, with the factory air filter, I could only find it at the dealer who wants a fortune! Canā€™t buy ANY aftermarket yet locally. Iā€™m into a K&N drop-in now with the aFe power scoop attached to the stock air box. I call it my homemade CAI...?
Wix makes the "FoMoCo", (not Motorcraft) filter that come on most, if not all Fords from the factory. They used to be made by Champ Labs. Motorcraft Brand are mainly made by Purolator. However Mann/Hummel now owns both Wix and Purolator, so they could potentially interchange brands for logistical or production capicity etc. Not saying they have or will, but I would say it's possible.

STROKERDUSTER,
Thanks. Believe me not trying to start a filter war. That's why I didn't state the failed (Mazda 6) filter brand initially, but linked it instead. I have been using Wix/Napa 31348 on my 2.0 EB Edge. I think Wix is a great filter. I think the Purolator sourced Motorcraft are high quality too, especially and probably more so in the smaller sized 910, 400 & 500 filters. I would agree it's probably extremely rare for a filter to fail. But as you mentioned above, if I understand correctly, is that customer got burned simply because they had an aftermarket filter on?? Despite no proof that the filter in use at the time caused or let the metal shaving through to make the oil pump fail. That's kind of my point I guess. With a Motorcraft on, namely a 910S, there would or should be no controversy in the event of an oil related failure. I started this post, because I have seen people ask "will using a _______ oil/air filter void my warranty?"

Last edited:

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Personally, I use stock air filter,oil filter, and spark plugs. No real gain or use in changing to different unless you er going way beyond factory HP.

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Ranger FX2
All subjective, personal experience. Take it with a grain of salt.

Let me say this, ā€œnever had one alleged engine failure due to the filterā€...that you know of. Just clarifying.

Having been a mechanic for over 20 years Iā€™ve seen a lot. Thereā€™s plenty of failures that happen that donā€™t get properly diagnosed or traced back to the root cause. Just because someone or some part doesnā€™t get called on the carpet for it, doesnā€™t mean it isnā€™t at fault. It could even be a faulty filter from 4 oil changes ago that accelerated wear.

My current place of employment uses a lot of Wix filters and mostly theyā€™re ok. Some situations have caused me to compare a Wix cartridge fuel filter versus a factory Mopar fuel filter for a diesel, for example. It was pitiful what Napa was selling and Iā€™ll never use that filter in that application. Not all Napa Wix filters are made by the same supplier.

Counterpoint, I had a local shop change the oil on my Ranger because I was short for time. I requested a Motorcraft filter (which I verified they did use). For the life of that filter I had intermittent engine rattle on start up when old. After the subsequent oil change with another Motorcraft filter, the noise has never occurred again.

Vendors change, production tolerance issues, the list can go on. But I personally stick with OE filters due to personal experience working on thousands of cars over 20 years. No manufacturer is perfect but there definitely is fewer problems with OEā€™s and rarely is the price savings worth the possible hassle.

I had mixed emotions about responding to this but....I owned a large auto parts store for 27 years and sold hundreds of thousands of filters and never had one alleged engine failure due to the filter.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I use whatever name brand filter is on sale along with whatever name brand full synthetic oil is on sale for oil changes every 5,000 miles. Iā€™m 52 and been doing this with my vehicles since I was 16.​
IMO thereā€™s not a reputable Ford dealer in the country that is going to turn down or try to fight a warranty claim due to an aftermarket oil filterā€¦.especially if you have records and receipts of regular oil changes. If the filter is clogged thereā€™s obviously something else going on.​
My 2 cents.​

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Some people like the warrantee, some don't care.
I like it.
I go to dealer till the 5 yrs are up, then anything goes.....
If something fails, they are going to have a hard time denying it.
I would still go to the dealer for service after the warranty is up just for the cost alone! You get the Ford motorcraft parts and fluids with tire rotation and inspection for $50. I couldn't possibly do it myself for that time and money. Repairs might not be so cost effective, but it's worth it for routine service.
Sponsored