Adding a aux audio port

Godzilla_Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger Super Crew
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in adding a aux audio port to an existing standard Ford radio. I have a possible need for one. I have a standalone MP3 player that has a lot of my music is some high quality standards that I would like to use. I have a standard audio jack to BT adapter that I could use and I have used the modules that use the antenna in one of my other trucks but I'd like to get the best quality connection if possible. I haven't tested trying to hook it up as a USB device but I'm pretty sure that will fail. I have a feeling that I'm screwed unless I replace the entire head unit which is something I don't want to do just yet. I thought I'd ping the forums first before I give up.

Peace
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely try plugging it in using USB, I think that would work. A lot of those mp3 players show up the same as a flash drive and that does work.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I also would like an AUX input port. Can you tell me a little about the audio to BT device you have? I might get one of those if we can not figure something out. Thanks.

OP
OP
Godzilla_Driver

Godzilla_Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also would like an AUX input port. Can you tell me a little about the audio to BT device you have? I might get one of those if we can not figure something out. Thanks.
It's just a TaoTronics adapter. This one I believe. It works okay in a few tests around the house but I haven't tried it in the truck yet.

And I'll try the USB part but I'm thinking I'm out of luck unless I replace the head unit. Ah well. Just seems weird that if I would've bought the cheaper truck, it would have it.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It's just a TaoTronics adapter. This one I believe. It works okay in a few tests around the house but I haven't tried it in the truck yet.

And I'll try the USB part but I'm thinking I'm out of luck unless I replace the head unit. Ah well. Just seems weird that if I would've bought the cheaper truck, it would have it.
Than k you.
Since I like to listen to books on CD when I take long trips, I will need something like this.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Than k you.
Since I like to listen to books on CD when I take long trips, I will need something like this.
I just ordered one. Will post results of how it works when I get it.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Than k you.
just rip them to mp3, put on a thumb drive.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
Put everything on a thumb drive. If it’s FLAC you wouldn’t want to pump it over Bluetooth anyway as you’re degrading the quality from the get go. If you want the best quality go FLAC on USB and call it a day.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Put everything on a thumb drive. If it’s FLAC you wouldn’t want to pump it over Bluetooth anyway as you’re degrading the quality from the get go. If you want the best quality go FLAC on USB and call it a day.
I am assuming that all these comments about USB apply to SYNC and not just SYNC-3. Also, for recorded books, audio quality is not really that important. About how long would it take to "rip" (not really sure that I know what that actually means) 24 CDs? Like a full Tom Clancy book.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am assuming that all these comments about USB apply to SYNC and not just SYNC-3. Also, for recorded books, audio quality is not really that important. About how long would it take to "rip" (not really sure that I know what that actually means) 24 CDs? Like a full Tom Clancy book.
The longest part is putting the cds in and out of the drive

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Than k you.
My son listens to books downloaded to his phone from Audiobooks. Its very reliable,cheap, and has a seemingly unlimited number of titles.
I download podcasts from "Stitcher"
I'm old enough to resist change, but I LOVE my music on flashdrive which I just recently learned.
The radio in the Ranger does a GREAT job of finding, sorting and playing them... And all by voice command!:clap:

Ford advertised a USB port and an Audio (MP3) port which never materialized on the finished product,but I won't likely miss it after a small learning curve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Godzilla_Driver

Godzilla_Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with all of this. I do have some cassette tapes that I'd like to listen to and those are harder to digitize but it's on my list. A lot of them are out of print and hard to get and yeah, from tape the quality won't be great. What prompts this is I have a player with about 60 GB of high quality lossless tracks I'd like to use but it has no USB. Yes I could use my phone and just copy the tracks but I run into BT as a connection. I could also copy the tracks to a USB drive but I haven't tried it and I know I like the controls and playlists I have on the player. I also use the player for the gym and around the house. I'd like to continue where I left off if I'm in the middle of a playlist or a book.

I think I'm just going to suck it up and use the BT adapter.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
My son listens to books downloaded to his phone from Audiobooks. Its very reliable,cheap, and has a seemingly unlimited number of titles.
I download podcasts from "Stitcher"
I'm old enough to resist change, but I LOVE my music on flashdrive which I just recently learned.
The radio in the Ranger does a GREAT job of finding, sorting and playing them... And all by voice command!:clap:

Ford advertised a USB port and an Audio (MP3) port which never materialized on the finished product,but I won't likely miss it after a small learning curve.
Yours don't have USB ports? I've got two up front for CarPlay and I also listen to Audible via those ports, then there's two in back for charging which I plug my work phone into.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bluetooth is itself lossy, so there's not really any sound quality advantage to lossless audio over bluetooth
Sponsored