Absolutely blown away by toyota truck grille guy

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Yet you posted this from either a phone or computer that was definitely either manufactured in whole or with numerous parts manufactured in China.
You are exactly right, there are some products that do not have a non-China option. But my wife and are are doing everything we can to find alternatives. I recently needed to replace a carbon monoxide detector and found a brand made in Canada (yes, it was more expensive and some of its components may have come from China). I also refused to buy a ball mount made in China and found a very good one sold by U-Haul made in USA but could not find the hitch ball made in USA.
Sponsored

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Hey Jason,

When California has the BIG ONE, I will likely have beach front property or at least an ocean view! ?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Perhaps, but we'll also be a big ass island at that point too! :like:

2019hotpepper4x4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
The “made in China” thing is sort of a joke at this point, right? I bought my Ranger because it is manufactured by an American company. Have had several Fords , and will continue to, but to think there is no foreign made parts, especially with all the electronics, I’s laughable in this day and age. Chinese and Mexican made parts are all part of the new production and to be expected.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
While a lot of the "Made In China" stuff is truly junk, a lot of it is also decent quality.

Some factories will produce an item for the OEM, and then "forget" to shut down the assembly line for a while and continue to churn out the product, though the "forgetful" line operator did remember to turn off the part of the assembly line that applies the OEM copyright logos. This is sometimes referred to as a "third shift" counterfeit.

Others are just cheap copies that are pumped out for dumping on AliBaba.

Being safe from US copyright laws means that almost anything that can be copied will be copied.

Ultimately the big manufacturers brought this on themselves when they sought a cheap way to build their product and maximize profit, never thinking about the long term outcomes of investing so much of their capital in a place with completely different ideas on intellectual property.

Made In China is the definition of YMMV.

An older article, but an interesting read.

Last edited:
OP
OP
theanswer3

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
dont get too excited just yet, i have had two packages come from Shenzen recently, both seemed to enter the country fast, but then got bogged down somehow and then took 14 days and 11 days respectively to arrive once in country.

if you do miraculously get it by 9pm tomorrow....you may find its not a Raptor Grill after all and is a robot girl....those chinese love their Artificial Intelligence love partners.
or you might get this.....

Usage-of-Fragile-Stickers.jpeg
Well it did make the journey to my city. Now we just have to see if its in the shape above. Lol. Damn long ass journey from Alaska to my city in a whole day.

Screenshot_20200526-072044_Deliveries.jpg

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
Usually the wild card is Customs ... but you breezed right thru...

OP
OP
theanswer3

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
sorry lol received it just fine. box had a small hole but the grille looks good. haven't put it on yet.

Rich Elliott

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Shadow Black 4X4
Occupation
Retired US Navy
Vehicle Showcase
ordered a ko raptor grille from his site on Wed night. Got notified on Thurs it shipped...check the ups tracking info and it is shipping from china. And it is going to be delivered here in florida on Tuesday. Would have been here on Monday if not for memorial day. Fastest I have ever seen anything come from china directly.
I ordered one from them. They took the money out of my bank and sent me an email saying it shipped. Two weeks later I emailed them and they said they had complications and it wouldn’t be sent. Cost me $10.00 For some BS reason. Hope it’s better for you.

NJB_Aragorn

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT CC Ranger
That is why I don't order parts unless I know where it's made I will not buy from communist China.
You know it's actually rather capitalist of the producer to make it to begin with. Don't be made at the business man, be mad at Ford for not having a part supplier for North America. That is literally how a free market works. A desire is there, someone fills it at a good price.

NJB_Aragorn

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT CC Ranger
Here I was about to sing praises. Then I got this text alert. So long as I can convince the wife to have it ahead of fathers day, I'll be happy.
Screenshot_20200527-221449.png

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Jason,

When California has the BIG ONE, I will likely have beach front property or at least an ocean view! ?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I don't know about that Phil I see a lot of houses on stilts built on cliffs when I lived out there. I couldn't believe people would build a house on stilts over dry brush in a state that has brush fires and mudslides and possible earthquakes. I think the beach will be full of homes that came down from the cliffs above them.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know about that Phil I see a lot of houses on stilts built on cliffs when I lived out there. I couldn't believe people would build a house on stilts over dry brush in a state that has brush fires and mudslides and possible earthquakes. I think the beach will be full of homes that came down from the cliffs above them.
I was told by a guy from a geo engineering firm that most (not all) of those houses are actually VERY safe - the problem is you can sink 100 grand (or more) to just get the stilts (foundation) in place. Between the engineering, the materials and the labor to do it all, it gets very expensive, very quickly.

I'd still never have a house on stilts - it just looks wrong to me.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I was told by a guy from a geo engineering firm that most (not all) of those houses are actually VERY safe - the problem is you can sink 100 grand (or more) to just get the stilts (foundation) in place. Between the engineering, the materials and the labor to do it all, it gets very expensive, very quickly.

my cabin is on cement posts, kind of like stilts, and has been since it was built in the 50s. I don't like it, but it's about $30K to get a foundation done now.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Rob,

I agree. Many years ago, wife and I (newly married) wanted to get out of the Detroit Michigan area, and I told her Pahrump Nevada was maybe a nice place. The Terrible's 250 was out of Pahrump and we headed to the Race even though I was retired from Ford and the management of our Off Road Racing at the time, so post race for a week we investigated building in PaHrump. We found a builder and a lot and the house prices were reasonable until we leaned that you had to pay about $200,000 more to sink poles into the silt beds to support the house on the silt bed! Yikes...!!!! We then found that the city could supply either sewer or water, but not both???? Needless to say...we passed on this opportunity as we also found almost all housed were in a flood plain and we would have to provide flood insurance at a huge cost. And the topper. Without any real city restrictions, you could build a nice house only to have a double wide and a dozen llamas move in next door! Sheesh!!!! We headed back to Las Vegas for the night and then back to Michigan...wrote Pahrunp off the books.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored