First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I like to have high mounted anchors points for load stabilization of taller items, such as the 5 gallon tall gas cans. These are not going to be used for 1,000 lb loads, just stabilizing top end tipping issues. I'd like something along the side wall of the box, as well, but being just sheet metal there is limited value. I added these to the forward side of the rear pillar. Basic welded D rings from Amazon, but I had to square the holes to use carriage bolts. On the back side I used ny-locks, with a regular 3/8 washer over a 1&1/2" fender washer. I also used a dollop of sealant to help control oxidation.

I actually installed these a few months ago, but didn't take photos at the time. I used them today to secure some 8 foot PVC pipe. I had some smaller items in the box, so I left the tailgate up, and used 3/8 rope looped around them just to prevent side movement. The Nite Ize Aluminum Cam Locks also work great for this type of application on light to medium loads.

1PXeBaO.jpg

S5u0UVw.jpg

IVqomAO.jpg
Sponsored

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I like to have high mounted anchors points for load stabilization of taller items, such as the 5 gallon tall gas cans. These are not going to be used for 1,000 lb loads, just stabilizing top end tipping issues. I'd like something along the side wall of the box, as well, but being just sheet metal there is limited value. I added these to the forward side of the rear pillar. Basic welded D rings from Amazon, but I had to square the holes to use carriage bolts. On the back side I used ny-locks, with a regular 3/8 washer over a 1&1/2" fender washer. I also used a dollop of sealant to help control oxidation.

I actually installed these a few months ago, but didn't take photos at the time. I used them today to secure some 8 foot PVC pipe. I had some smaller items in the box, so I left the tailgate up, and used 3/8 rope looped around them just to prevent side movement. The Nite Ize Aluminum Cam Locks also work great for this type of application on light to medium loads.

1PXeBaO.jpg

S5u0UVw.jpg

IVqomAO.jpg
What's up with the top-mounted tie-downs in the front of the bed?

Are there actually mounting points for those? I'd take a look but it's covered with a BedRug. If so, looks like something else for me to order!

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Are there actually mounting points for those? I'd take a look but it's covered with a BedRug. If so, looks like something else for me to order!
Those holes are factory, and the same bolt size as the tie down points. The spacing on the holes is about 1/8" shorter than the tie down brackets, so I do not believe that is the intent. IIRC someone mentioned they are for a tonneau cover or other FORD accesory mounting location. I elongated the holes in the tie down brackets to add them to that location, again, high mount tie downs for me are mostly about stabilizing tell loads, not for the full load of securing 1,000lbs.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Those holes are factory, and the same bolt size as the tie down points. The spacing on the holes is about 1/8" shorter than the tie down brackets, so I do not believe that is the intent. IIRC someone mentioned they are for a tonneau cover or other FORD accesory mounting location. I elongated the holes in the tie down brackets to add them to that location, again, high mount tie downs for me are mostly about stabilizing tell loads, not for the full load of securing 1,000lbs.
Thanks! That's great info, especially the modification you made.

I also like higher tie downs for lashing down brush. Pretty much most things since I often think about the ratchet straps AFTER loading the bed with stuff that I can't fit my hand between to reach the tie downs! Ugh, thinking ahead - not always my strongest suit. =D

Thus my use of permanently attached soft loops!

I also wish we had stake pockets in the rails ...

1674769002470.png

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks! That's great info, especially the modification you made.

I also like higher tie downs for lashing down brush. Pretty much most things since I often think about the ratchet straps AFTER loading the bed with stuff that I can't fit my hand between to reach the tie downs! Ugh, thinking ahead - not always my strongest suit. =D

Thus my use of permanently attached soft loops!

I also wish we had stake pockets in the rails ...

1674769002470.png
Terrible waste of room, not loading on the cab roof as well.

He has the premium, extra low angle tailgate angle mod too!!!

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
You have double the factory tie downs my truck came with! I do like the little ones you have near the tailgate. I could see those being useful.
I luckily bumped into a friend who was returning his 20 Ranger for a new F150, so I bought his tie-downs for $20. Woo hoo!!! Dealer list price in Canada for 4 tie downs and 8 bolts is over $330.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer

1PXeBaO.jpg

S5u0UVw.jpg

IVqomAO.jpg
I'm a huge fan of NiteIze products! Been using them for about 15 years, mainly the Figure 9 and normal carabiners, and flashlights.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher

1PXeBaO.jpg

S5u0UVw.jpg

IVqomAO.jpg
Those clips are awesome, we use them for our "self-rescue" rigs in our kayaks. If we flip, we attach a float to the end of the paddle and then has a 6 mm cord that ties our paddle across the righted kayaks sides and cinches down with that cam. Then we hook an ankle on the paddle float and scurry back in. Quite the site for this fat boy!

Actual photo of me:

1674834724704.png

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I have some of the loops with the brackets you show up front on my dump trailer and they really rattle around making a racket.

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have some of the loops with the brackets you show up front on my dump trailer and they really rattle around making a racket.
I don't think I've ever heard mine. Hanging, box liner and tonneau cover are all factors probably.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
I use 24-inch soft loops to extend the tie-downs so that I can clip it after loading (because I often think of that later, derr) and I leave them in all the time. I just got some more so I can double them up for longer reach allowing me to clip at the first one or the second one. Looping them together lowers the breaking strength of the second one.

They aren't very strong (supposedly 1,200 pounds) but are US-made and great for keeping stuff from shifting too much.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084VQT8MM

1674836410435.png

1674836545570.png

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing

I have M8 eye bolts in the font 4 above the tie downs. so up front I have 2 eyebolts and the tiedown on each side.

I also keep bungie cords in mne all the time for quick tie downs. makes it quick to lock down say a gas can or propane can. and given NH weather I filled both this week.
Sponsored