A/C recirculating button turns itself off all the time, how do I fix this?

Jackpot Tremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 4x4
Occupation
Self Employed
Hey Group, need your help here.....maybe it's designed this way but I think it's stupid......I am a roofing contractor in So CA and have my A/C on all the time because I want to be cool as I'm driving all over and as I look at roofs all day in the heat.........I always make sure the A/c recirculating button is on as the A/C works better and NO outside smells come in my truck.......but it keeps "kicking" off......I hate the diesel exhaust smells, or a dead skunk, or skunk weed or any other bad outside smells but I am finding myself turning the recirculation button back on all the time......why does it do this??.......it's not needed in So CA for our mild climate.......I know nothing about "forscan" but will this device solve this??......love my 2021 Lariat Tremor but this (and no memory seats) is plain dumb! any help is appreciated!
Sponsored

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
My understanding is that it is related to humidity in the cabin. Not sure if there is anything else that disables that, but if its getting humid in there it will switch to outside air. Max A/C also uses recirculation but not sure if the button stays on or not.

The cabin air filter should help reduce any smells though. You might want to make sure that filter is actually installed, or see if there is a better version available.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Its designed that way.
I recall someone was playing around with the humidity sensor, but felt there was more than one at play and had no success keeping it on recirc.

I get that some people like to breathe in their own farts all day long, and don't want to breathe other peoples farts, but there's a reason for its design.
Pointless to argue it, because everyone has an opinion.

If you figure out how to disable it, you'll likely make 100 new friends immediately.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
From the Owner's manual:
Note: Recirculated air may turn off, or
prevent you from switching on, in all air flow
modes except MAX A/C to reduce the risk
of fogging. Recirculation may also turn on
and off in various air distribution control
combinations during hot weather to improve
cooling efficiency.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If I'm not mistaken if in auto it may kick the research off from time to time.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
There was another thread on this somewhere. Lmgtfy.
Edit: Here's a shitload of them.
Somewhere a member was trying to fool the system into not turning it off.
Good luck.

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Here are (2) detailed threads about it, so far it has not been a valid work around for it.
While myself, it does not bother me much, other than the door open does bring in a lot of unwanted outside odors.

The Air Inlet Door on the Ranger is larger than a normal air inlet, this allows a great deal of airflow (Inlet) and (Exhaust) through the Rear Cab Vents.
It is a Safety feature, I get it, but wish Ford would let you override the Air Inlet, the Air Inlet (Recirculation) door operates on a Timer (5-Minutes) when you manually select it closed, it will only be closed for (5-Minutes) then it will open back up.
It automatically opens/closes via the Humidity/Temp sensor readings, however the other door actuators on the circuit are also controlled on the same circuit. (Drivers & Passengers) Temp Control. There is also another Temp sensor that ties into the same circuit and that is the Evap Core sensor, this brings in another reason for the door to open and that is for venting the Evap core out to prevent mold and musty smells from the AC condensate drain system.

So, it is not a simple system to circumvent - without generating fault codes and keeping the modules happy.

My initial dive into this system was to find a way to force the door to close at engine shutdown, to prevent the mice/rodent entry into the cab, but to find out, that even with the door closed, it is not fully closed, it is still open (10%) - to allow some fresh air into the cab.
If you don't know, there is a huge opening for this Air-Inlet door, big enough for unwanted critters in the cab. The only preventive fix is to install a screen over the opening.
So with the truck off, the door automatically powers open, for venting the Evap Core, leaving a nice big point of entry for mice/rodents.

I am sure the system can be adjusted and tweaked via Forscan, it just takes the right code to do it. So far, not yet deciphered.

My thought was to install a switch, at the actuator motor, cycle switch to physically remove the power from the actuator motor, so it has no way to drive open. (After being manually selected closed)
Basically, once the actuator drives the door open/closed- power is dropped from it, until commanded to move again. (So, in theory the switch would create an open circuit)
Now how the system reacts is still the question (Faults?)

Here are (2) of the threads related to this and one of your fellow Californians, who lives in Wildfire country and his trial and error on modifying the system. (by playing with the humidity sensor)
Now, I don't know if he ever had any success.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/re-circ-bypass-1st-attempt-results.22904/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...er-console-button-panel-anyone-have-it.23250/

OP
OP
Jackpot Tremor

Jackpot Tremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Here are (2) detailed threads about it, so far it has not been a valid work around for it.
While myself, it does not bother me much, other than the door open does bring in a lot of unwanted outside odors.

The Air Inlet Door on the Ranger is larger than a normal air inlet, this allows a great deal of airflow (Inlet) and (Exhaust) through the Rear Cab Vents.
It is a Safety feature, I get it, but wish Ford would let you override the Air Inlet, the Air Inlet (Recirculation) door operates on a Timer (5-Minutes) when you manually select it closed, it will only be closed for (5-Minutes) then it will open back up.
It automatically opens/closes via the Humidity/Temp sensor readings, however the other door actuators on the circuit are also controlled on the same circuit. (Drivers & Passengers) Temp Control. There is also another Temp sensor that ties into the same circuit and that is the Evap Core sensor, this brings in another reason for the door to open and that is for venting the Evap core out to prevent mold and musty smells from the AC condensate drain system.

So, it is not a simple system to circumvent - without generating fault codes and keeping the modules happy.

My initial dive into this system was to find a way to force the door to close at engine shutdown, to prevent the mice/rodent entry into the cab, but to find out, that even with the door closed, it is not fully closed, it is still open (10%) - to allow some fresh air into the cab.
If you don't know, there is a huge opening for this Air-Inlet door, big enough for unwanted critters in the cab. The only preventive fix is to install a screen over the opening.
So with the truck off, the door automatically powers open, for venting the Evap Core, leaving a nice big point of entry for mice/rodents.

I am sure the system can be adjusted and tweaked via Forscan, it just takes the right code to do it. So far, not yet deciphered.

My thought was to install a switch, at the actuator motor, cycle switch to physically remove the power from the actuator motor, so it has no way to drive open. (After being manually selected closed)
Basically, once the actuator drives the door open/closed- power is dropped from it, until commanded to move again. (So, in theory the switch would create an open circuit)
Now how the system reacts is still the question (Faults?)

Here are (2) of the threads related to this and one of your fellow Californians, who lives in Wildfire country and his trial and error on modifying the system. (by playing with the humidity sensor)
Now, I don't know if he ever had any success.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/re-circ-bypass-1st-attempt-results.22904/

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...er-console-button-panel-anyone-have-it.23250/

I had no idea it was so complex......I just didn't like it because it let in outside smells......and sometimes hot outside air.......I don't want to circumvent it at all just thought someone know how to bypass it with some "electronic code" override........I'll just live with it and use "max A/C when needed......

thanks so much for the effort and explanation......that's why this forum is so great!

OP
OP
Jackpot Tremor

Jackpot Tremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
I don't get it. Fresh air is good.

yes, fresh air is always good......unless it's a diesel truck spewwing exhaust next to me at a light.......or someone smoking.......or it's hot as heck outside.........but yes, fresh air is always a good thing.......I'll use Max A/C more and when needed.......

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
yes, fresh air is always good......unless it's a diesel truck spewwing exhaust next to me at a light.......or someone smoking.......or it's hot as heck outside.........but yes, fresh air is always a good thing.......I'll use Max A/C more and when needed.......
:crackup:
download (4).jpeg

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I don't get it. Fresh air is good.
Yes, it is, but for some owners who live in wildfire country, that fresh air, is smokey, choking, eye watering air - that Ford did not take into account when building the truck.
Imagine yourself in a smoke-filled room and no way out of it, is how I perceive it!

Myself personally it is not an issue, yet I have noted that the Ranger does inhale a far smellier air than any previously owned vehicle, this is mainly due to the size of the door opening being rather large and not so much of the door control itself - as I said even with the door fully closed (Electrically) the door itself is still open about (10%) By Design, you will always have at least 10% fresh air mixing with Cab (Recirculated Air) when closed.
There is no way (known) to change that, except fully cover the door inlet (Intake) but this may play havoc on the blower motor itself (Overwork) and produce a safety hazard and also window fogging become an increased issue.

I just wanted to offer any help I could to help others on this door and it's (2) flaws.
1. Rodent Entry - As this is a know problem and proven an expensive fix if mice decide to feast on the soy based wiring, this is after they snack on the Engine Cover and Battery Blanket on the way inside the cab.
2. Unable to Manually close it and it stay Closed

But unfortunately, there is no easy work around solution -yet

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
If there is any Forscan tweak, it would be that (5-Minute) Timer - (Disable-IT)

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I have the exact opposite problem. I try to turn it off and it keeps coming back on. I donā€™t want recirculating mode unless on demand. Also socal.
It is temperature and humidity controlling it - By owner's manual, If Max AC is selected then the Auto movement of the door is disabled, but I recall that is not the case for some owners, it still moves on its own, thus still automatically controlled.
By design it's automatically controlled, when you press the button or sync screen icon (Recirc) the door closes (Button-Lighted) and (Icon-Highlighted), - (Recirculation Air -On) sometimes the system will not let you select it and if it does allow it, it sets a 5-Minute timer and opens it back up after 5 minutes have elapsed.

So, if you are experiencing the opposite then the Humidity/Temp sensor is forcing it back closed, due to the system design to cool the cab down quicker. (Hotter-Temps)
During cooler weather, it is the opposite, due to humidity in the cab air (Window Fogging) prevention. Have you ever noticed your breath can fog up the windows fairly quickly when its cold.?
Sponsored