9 days.... it was 9 days

Kiddglass

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger 4x4 lariat
Got my 2020 ranger nothing but happy with it love driving it. I've been creeping around here for six months or so soaking up information. I've had my ranger for nine days and then a gust of wind as I was getting in today pushes my door all the way open and into the parked car next to me. Thoughts?

20201109_183014.jpg

20201109_183024.jpg
Sponsored

Verhiz

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Private Security
Just get a little touch up paint.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I can't really tell. Need to wash the truck and post a better, clear photo.

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Own it. Consider yourself fortunate. One of my jerk friends leaned their bicycle against my truck and the basket on the front of it scratched a half inch patch right in the middle of my driver/rear door. That was about day 9 too.

I see it every day. I scratched up white patch smack in the middle of my big red door as I climb into the truck. It drives me nuts.

Here's the thing. These trucks are cool, and they're expensive, and there's the temptation to start engaging in this practice I like to call "precious pickup truck" where any blemish is cause for panic. I'm a guy who takes dirt track into the woods almost every weekend. Trees and brush swiping the length of the truck. The whole bit. You may be different but I had to come to terms with the idea that if I use it as a truck it's going to get a little bruised along the way.

As others have said, a little touch up paint and/or buffing will take care of that. But I might urge you to leave it, and consider that the mark that frees you to use the crap out of it. This to be the first of many.

And then I dunno, maybe once every year or two take it into the body shop to have them hit all the little areas that need hitting at once. Door scuff @ 9 days, paint chip on the hood @ 3 months, little door ding @ 6 months, that stupid thing that kid with the cart did @ 11 months, those bushes you hit on that sweet ass drive out to the coast last week. Hey body shop here's $500 - the cost of doing business.

OP
OP

Kiddglass

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger 4x4 lariat
Own it. Consider yourself fortunate. One of my jerk friends leaned their bicycle against my truck and the basket on the front of it scratched a half inch patch right in the middle of my driver/rear door. That was about day 9 too.

I see it every day. I scratched up white patch smack in the middle of my big red door as I climb into the truck. It drives me nuts.

Here's the thing. These trucks are cool, and they're expensive, and there's the temptation to start engaging in this practice I like to call "precious pickup truck" where any blemish is cause for panic. I'm a guy who takes dirt track into the woods almost every weekend. Trees and brush swiping the length of the truck. The whole bit. You may be different but I had to come to terms with the idea that if I use it as a truck it's going to get a little bruised along the way.

As others have said, a little touch up paint and/or buffing will take care of that. But I might urge you to leave it, and consider that the mark that frees you to use the crap out of it. This to be the first of many.

And then I dunno, maybe once every year or two take it into the body shop to have them hit all the little areas that need hitting at once. Door scuff @ 9 days, paint chip on the hood @ 3 months, little door ding @ 6 months, that stupid thing that kid with the cart did @ 11 months, those bushes you hit on that sweet ass drive out to the coast last week. Hey body shop here's $500 - the cost of doing business.
You may have a point. Its just my first new car so it hurts my soul that this happend so soon

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
You may have a point. Its just my first new car so it hurts my soul that this happend so soon
In 1996, as I was preparing to spend a year away in Okinawa, I bought a brand new Honda Odyssey for the family. As we were leaving the dealer, with 11 miles on the odometer, I caught the corner of the front bumper on a steel pole as I backed out of the parking space. It ripped the plastic front bumper cover right off of the van. The sound was sickening, and completely destroyed the excitement of the new car. The dealer had it looking new again the next day, and we laughed about it for years afterward.

It’s just a car. Get it fixed, and enjoy it.

Last edited: