First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
🚒 🚑
Went to the dealer for an oil change today. Asked about checking the transmission fluid level. I’m not having any problems. Just curious after reading some of the posts here. Said they would be happy to but it would be $75 dollars on top of the oil change price. When I questioned him he said it is because it is sealed, there’s no dipstick, and there is a panel in the way that has to be removed. $75!!!!!! Is it just me or does this seem ridiculous to anyone else?

i passed in the opportunity for them to take more of my money.
Sponsored

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger (SCrew Lariat Tremor)
Honestly, at today's Dealer labor rates, that's more than fair.

If you haven't researched, it's a major PITA to get to the plug that is used to check the level, since Ford didn't think it economical to put a real dipstick into the setup.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
[/B]
Went to the dealer for an oil change today. Asked about checking the transmission fluid level. I’m not having any problems. Just curious after reading some of the posts here. Said they would be happy to but it would be $75 dollars on top of the oil change price. When I questioned him he said it is because it is sealed, there’s no dipstick, and there is a panel in the way that has to be removed. $75!!!!!! Is it just me or does this seem ridiculous to anyone else?

i passed in the opportunity for them to take more of my money.
There's your problem. If you are not having problems, don't worry about it. Many of those posts are anal about the fluid level, and fret about it being 1/2 quart low or high.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
There is a dipstick and there is not a panel, it's just a pain to get to. And you should check it when hot...wear a glove!

I changed my trans fluid and by our calculations of what we took out (by vacuum pump and replacing the trans filter) the fluid was approximately 1.5 quarts low from the factory.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
There is a dipstick and there is not a panel, it's just a pain to get to. And you should check it when hot...wear a glove!

I changed my trans fluid and by our calculations of what we took out (by vacuum pump and replacing the trans filter) the fluid was approximately 1.5 quarts low from the factory.
And do you think that even sucking the fluid out you were able to remove ALL of it, even from the torque converter? Or did you take that into account when calculating how much you removed vs how much it takes to fill a new trans?

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
And do you think that even sucking the fluid out you were able to remove ALL of it, even from the torque converter? Or did you take that into account when calculating how much you removed vs how much it takes to fill a new trans?
There's no way we got it all out...you'd have to remove the transmission completely to get it all out...unless you did a forced flush. I'm just saying that we measured the amount we drained and then compared that to what it took to get the dipstick back up to the full level....there was a difference of about 1.5 quarts.

Last edited:

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional

this is a fine point - we owned two escapes prior to my Ranger and each time I performed the trans service I'd drop the contents from the plug, refill and drive for 15-20 minutes, drop and fill, drove for another 15-20 minutes, and do a third. This was I believe the way to get about 85-95% of the fluid flushed out.

Regardless never had any issue with either transaxle.

I DO dread this beastie however.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
this is a fine point - we owned two escapes prior to my Ranger and each time I performed the trans service I'd drop the contents from the plug, refill and drive for 15-20 minutes, drop and fill, drove for another 15-20 minutes, and do a third. This was I believe the way to get about 85-95% of the fluid flushed out.

Regardless never had any issue with either transaxle.

I DO dread this beastie however.
They way shops used to do it was breaking the connection of the trans cooler line at the radiator. Then hook up a machine where the old fluid went in, pushing new fluid out back to the trans, all while the engine was running.

Reactions: R_B

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’ve posted on here about this already but here goes again. Crack the cover nut when cold and reseat so snug to keep it from leaking. Then go for your warmup drive and then wearing leather gloves recrack the loosely seated nut. Pull the aluminum cover off and then wipe the plastic dip stick and insert it. Check fluid level. Add tranny fluid if needed and reassemble the dipstick and reassemble. You can wait until it’s cold again to reseat or carefully do it when hot. That’s all there is to it.

You can get at that nut from the engine compartment with some extensions and a socket. So there is more than one way.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I can't stand paying dealers for simple things and waiting days to get my truck back.

My plan is to replace the fluid myself at 30k and add a PPE Power transmission pan (with drain) and B&M Dipstick. Then I can easily check and replace the trans fluid forever.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
can you fill from the B&M dipstick?

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
My dealer said they couldn't check the level because it doesn't have a dipstick. I tried to explain that there is one it's just difficult to access and they were clueless about it. I'll do it myself at some point I guess. My transmission has been pretty smooth for the most part though so wasn't too worried about it and didn't feel like arguing much more with the dealer.

OP
OP
soxnut

soxnut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
🚒 🚑
***update***
Service guy said they aren’t allowed to check and just top off fluids anymore without a charge. Unless there is a complaint and it is under warranty. So I did and it is.
That checked it (no charge) and found it was 1/2 quart low. Topped it off and reset the shift points.
I know it’s probably placebo effect but it does shift smoother already.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
seems fair.

whats the shops rate per hour?
they have to drive it to get it up to operating temp and that mechanics time isnt free as he bombs around side streets trying to get it hot. thats going to take up to half an hour probably.

best part, if they found it low or high, they are compelled to adjust it correctly at that point.
So it was designed to cheat the buyer?
Fact is that they think the buyer is too stupid use the right fluid or to check and properly fill the transmission. ?That argument may actually have some merit. :giggle:
They do make a dipstick kit though, so if you want the fluid checked, have the kit installed at the same time. then make sure you learn to check it right and use the right fluid there after.
I am appalled at the uncooperative attitude of today's dealers and even more so at their apparent incompetence... both at the dealer and at the corporate level.
Sponsored