Vehicle Showcase

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I know it's not "polite" but I would like to let everyone know to do their own research about the Rugged Radios before purchasing one. At least if you are living and driving in the USA.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
I know it's not "polite" but I would like to let everyone know to do their own research about the Rugged Radios before purchasing one. At least if you are living and driving in the USA.
I didn’t find anything, what are you trying to say?

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
I didn’t find anything, what are you trying to say?
This 2 meter two-way radio operates on radio frequencies that are regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). To transmit on these frequencies, you are required to have a license issued by the FCC. For questions regarding FCC licensing please visit the FCC online.
73, KJ4WKL

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some of the Rugged Radio pre-programmed frequencies are also overlapping with Public Safety, etc. It's not recommended to use them for transmit. The GMRS/FRS frequencies cannot be used without a Part 95 type accepted (certified) radio, which none of the Rugged Radios are.

The radio shown is also just a generic Chinese mobile, which can be had for much cheaper, and is not going to last when pushed at it's maximum of 60W.

The radio in question looks to be a TH-9000D and is 130$ plus the cost of a programming cable (10$ max)
https://www.amazon.com/TYT-TH-9000D-136-174MHz-Scrambler-Mobile/dp/B006QMM9XM

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would be awesome for use in Mexico though, but at that price I'd get a Yaesu or Kenwood and clip the green wire... Sorry to threadjack this ad thread from one of our esteemed sponsors, but though rare, the penalties can be quite severe, especially if a public service agency is pissed enough to track you down.

I've had a few of the chinese ham radios, and only the HT's (walkie talkies) live longer than 6-8 months.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Now Available from www.fordrangerlifts.com is this nice compact set up from Rugged Radios. Fits perfect in the center console of your ford ranger. Great way to communicate with fellow off roaders while out on the trails or in the dunes.
https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=296_1411_1417&products_id=2594

10% off member discount
Email [email protected]
Call or text 702-501-3139

6B6F43CE-1D3B-4B0F-95E1-3C54F9C93FB3.jpeg

E06F364F-A1EB-46BA-B6C1-A02394421C5D.jpeg

FBC9835B-62D0-4A7A-BB18-FC149BC59343.jpeg

7BFD9F65-0ECE-40EF-A864-B6487CCE8B1A.jpeg

8EE96FEE-2CEC-47CE-974A-CBF004CF84E3.jpeg
Robby,

This looks sweet man! Love this setup, can you give me an idea where you ran the coax and power into the console?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Robby,

This looks sweet man! Love this setup, can you give me an idea where you ran the coax and power into the console?
There are a couple Ham Radio install threads on this forum, all of which have ideas on how to get the coax into the truck.

For getting into that console, the usual way is to go under the carpet, loosen the screws holding the center console down a little, then fish the coax/power up into that console. I would come in from the rear of the truck with the coax as there are a few spots you can get it in without drilling.

Power comes in through the hood release grommet, down under the door trim, and up to that console from behind.

Also, don't forget to check the Amazon prices for the TH-9000D since it's identical except for the branding.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
There are a couple Ham Radio install threads on this forum, all of which have ideas on how to get the coax into the truck.

For getting into that console, the usual way is to go under the carpet, loosen the screws holding the center console down a little, then fish the coax/power up into that console. I would come in from the rear of the truck with the coax as there are a few spots you can get it in without drilling.

Power comes in through the hood release grommet, down under the door trim, and up to that console from behind.

Also, don't forget to check the Amazon prices for the TH-9000D since it's identical except for the branding.
Thanks, for sure I'm not too keen with popping holes in my new ranger. I did a roof mount on my Tacoma that turned out well but a pain with removing the head liner for the coax. Much appreciated for the quick response.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
This 2 meter two-way radio operates on radio frequencies that are regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). To transmit on these frequencies, you are required to have a license issued by the FCC. For questions regarding FCC licensing please visit the FCC online.
73, KJ4WKL
+1, although this Xciever can be programed to transmit on FRS/GMRS/MURS which are not in the Ham bands it far exceeds the power restrictions for those frequencies, as well as not being type approved for operation on those bands.
73's, N5CRK (also DA1YM for many years)

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
I have an older rugged dual band 25 watt and it's been great. It stays in my manual that all users are covered under the rugged radio liscence. So I'LL NEED PROOF OF OTHERWISE.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I have an older rugged dual band 25 watt and it's been great. It stays in my manual that all users are covered under the rugged radio liscence. So I'LL NEED PROOF OF OTHERWISE.
anybody can say anything. if we're going to get all caps lawyerly, where's your proof of fcc testing/certification for the hardware? you can verify at https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid
Sponsored