6,800 lbs with Surge Brakes?

UncleWillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT Tremor
I am embarrassed to bring this up this question, but after lots of reading on this forum, I figured I'd ask the specifics here. Yes, I know we have to factor in people, gear, tongue weight etc. I also understand this turn into a "could you" vs "should you" type of thing.

TLDR: Can the Ranger handle towing a boat and trailer with a combined gross weight of nearly 6,800 lbs with surge brakes?

Background: I am experienced with towing, using trailer brakes, using surge brakes, dealing with wind, etc. I have been hauling trailers of various size and weight for various purposes since I was 16 (now 37), and most of my work for the last 10 years has involved hauling a work barge long distances for various aquatic surveys. However, most of this towing has been with a 2500 HD Silverado. I traded my old truck for the Ranger because I wasn't hauling heavy trailers anymore. Now I may need to haul this 6,700-lb trailer about 2 times per year.
Sponsored

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I am embarrassed to bring this up this question, but after lots of reading on this forum, I figured I'd ask the specifics here. Yes, I know we have to factor in people, gear, tongue weight etc. I also understand this turn into a "could you" vs "should you" type of thing.

TLDR: Can the Ranger handle towing a boat and trailer with a combined gross weight of nearly 6,800 lbs with surge brakes?

Background: I am experienced with towing, using trailer brakes, using surge brakes, dealing with wind, etc. I have been hauling trailers of various size and weight for various purposes since I was 16 (now 37), and most of my work for the last 10 years has involved hauling a work barge long distances for various aquatic surveys. However, most of this towing has been with a 2500 HD Silverado. I traded my old truck for the Ranger because I wasn't hauling heavy trailers anymore. Now I may need to haul this 6,700-lb trailer about 2 times per year.
I have always had decent luck with surge brakes. They obviously don't have the tuning ability that controller electric brakes do, but at least you have something back there braking when momentum shifts.

I have not towed with my Ranger yet but I always tried to have about a 30% margin over max towing in the book, but I am kind of a belt and suspenders guy.

Reading others on here who I respect their opinion on towing, they seem to report the ranger being a pretty stout little towing vehicle. I probably would give it a go in your shoes.

OP
OP
UncleWillie

UncleWillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT Tremor
Yeah - I think I am less worried about it's towing power capabilities than I am with stopping capabilities. I think the idea of long and heavy trailer pushing the Ranger all over the road has me a little hesitant.

These are pretty sophisticated surge brakes and can sense when reversing or on a steep slope (i.e., boat ramp) so that the brakes don't lock up.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
The truck is more than capable of stopping itself at max load without trailer brakes at all in my opinion and experience.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Yeah - I think I am less worried about it's towing power capabilities than I am with stopping capabilities. I think the idea of long and heavy trailer pushing the Ranger all over the road has me a little hesitant.

These are pretty sophisticated surge brakes and can sense when reversing or on a steep slope (i.e., boat ramp) so that the brakes don't lock up.
Hopefully @Grumpaw will happen along, he can probably answer your questions. Or maybe PM him. Very experienced tower.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Hopefully @Grumpaw will happen along, he can probably answer your questions. Or maybe PM him. Very experienced tower.
You give me too much credit....
That is a big boat and trailer....more weight than any of the big travel trailers some of us tow.
I have towed with surge brakes, but nothing that big and heavy, so I have no idea how it would tow behind the Ranger.
I suppose only one or two times a year, for a short distance, with not a lot of traffic and not a lot of speed, you'd be OK. I'd give myself a lot of distance when slowing or stopping.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If a trailer is equipped with surge brakes and the trailer with low do not exceed the maximum towing capabilities of the vehicle you are considered in the safe range.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
You give me too much credit....
That is a big boat and trailer....more weight than any of the big travel trailers some of us tow.
I have towed with surge brakes, but nothing that big and heavy, so I have no idea how it would tow behind the Ranger.
I suppose only one or two times a year, for a short distance, with not a lot of traffic and not a lot of speed, you'd be OK. I'd give myself a lot of distance when slowing or stopping.
OK, OP, never mind, ignore whatever he posts…. :LOL:

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Hmmmm - some perhaps useful peripheral info. We tow a 6,000 lb trailer and upgraded the brakes from electric drum to electric-hydraulic disc because the drum brakes were not adequate coming down the mountain passes and off-road trails we frequent. Depending on terrain you may want to address. The other thing that has proved useful is a TPMS with temperature sensing. The temperature sensors are only measuring air-temp at the valve stem and so are a poor proxy for brake temps, but we have learned that a 40 degree F increase at the valve stem (say from 100 to 140) while going down a grade typically means our brakes are getting close to their functional max of 600 degrees F. We've white knuckled our way at 50 degrees higher with reduced brake capability and found on stopping that the truck discs were around or above 900 degrees. DOT 3 is only rated to 600 degrees while DOT 4 is rated to 1200 degrees (but is quite hydrophilic so must be changed frequently). Best of luck whatever you decide.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
For me, it would come down to speed, traffic, distance, and terrain. Twenty miles, twice a year, relatively level terrain, and light traffic at 50mph and I wouldn’t even think about a concern. Steep down grades, heavy traffic, 70mph, and 300 miles and I’d probably not. Only you know the towing conditions and your skills.

N559br

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
A lot of it depends on distance, speed, and terrain. I tow a 6200 boat, with surge brakes around central Virginia. Lots of hills and usually 55mph speed limit. I just came from a land Rover discovery with the 3.0TDI. I had to pull the boat to the dealer last week with the ranger. My experience was that the Ranger pulls pretty well and even stops pretty good, but the trailer likes to push it around curves. Once on a straight highway, it's pretty impressive. Accelerates up grades well and tracks straight.

I will be going slower over the 2 lane local roads around the house from now on.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Uhauls are strickly surge brakes and I towed a touch over 6k with the ranger a few months back. Sounds lile you are experienced enough to know if they arw working or not. I was more than comfortable and it had good power as well. It was obviously slower but never a burder to other motorists.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Hmmmm - some perhaps useful peripheral info. We tow a 6,000 lb trailer and upgraded the brakes from electric drum to electric-hydraulic disc because the drum brakes were not adequate coming down the mountain passes and off-road trails we frequent. Depending on terrain you may want to address. The other thing that has proved useful is a TPMS with temperature sensing. The temperature sensors are only measuring air-temp at the valve stem and so are a poor proxy for brake temps, but we have learned that a 40 degree F increase at the valve stem (say from 100 to 140) while going down a grade typically means our brakes are getting close to their functional max of 600 degrees F. We've white knuckled our way at 50 degrees higher with reduced brake capability and found on stopping that the truck discs were around or above 900 degrees. DOT 3 is only rated to 600 degrees while DOT 4 is rated to 1200 degrees (but is quite hydrophilic so must be changed frequently). Best of luck whatever you decide.
Dot 5.1 is a good choice because its not hydrophilic and it has a higher temp rating. Run it on my mountain bike too.

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Your boat is definitely heavier than mine. I have Sundance DX 20 Skiff. Fully loaded including trailer Its roughly 3500Lbs I’m guessing . I tow it 1-2 times a week between 15-30 miles one way. Granted I live in a very flat area. Charleston traffic can be very heavy with a lot of heavy breaking in downpours. My trailer is an aluminum single axle with surge disc brakes. I haven’t had any situations yet while braking where I had a doubt I would stop. But, that all could change next time I’m towing it. I also have the Livernois soft shift tow tune. I personally feel the tunes downshifting helps with the slowing down but no real proof just the seat of the pants feel.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Do it with a backhoe on a frequent basis. Just tow safe and smart. I dont have priblems at all towing with surge brakes and tow 6800lbs. With about 300 lbs in the bed. I live in land thats all flat.
Ranger has been a really good truck for me, in my experience.
Sponsored