• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

5G vs 6G Ranger bed capacities

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
I was looking at the bed size from Ford's spec sheets. We've had conversations on here about the different size of the bed and tonneau covers not fitting etc. It looks like the new Ranger bed is about an inch wider and an inch and a half shorter but the cargo capacities are nearly the same.

Here they are side by side. The left is a 5G Ranger and the right is the new 6G Ranger Raptor.

Ford Ranger 5G vs 6G Ranger bed capacities Screenshot
Sponsored

CharlieFoor1

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Geographic Information Systems
My biggest concern is that we loose 2000lbs of towing with the new generation. Thatā€™s significant!! Peace.

NC Spuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Lexus RC 350, GMC Canyon Denali on order
Occupation
Seed potatoes
Here's a comparison of the 5' box dimensions, taken from both year's BBLB.
Ford Ranger 5G vs 6G Ranger bed capacities Ranger bed comparison

According to the 2024 Technical specifications, towing capacity remains at 7,500 lbs for the other Ranger models. Too bad to see the Raptor has quite a bit less!.

Attachments

Last edited:

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I was looking at the bed size from Ford's spec sheets. We've had conversations on here about the different size of the bed and tonneau covers not fitting etc. It looks like the new Ranger bed is about an inch wider and an inch and a half shorter but the cargo capacities are nearly the same.

Here they are side by side. The left is a 5G Ranger and the right is the new 6G Ranger Raptor.

Screenshot .png
Phew my tailgate shuts perfectly with the bed cage holding the fuel cell and spares. For sure wouldn't fit if the bed was an inch shorter.

NC Spuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seed potatoes
Phew my tailgate shuts perfectly with the bed cage holding the fuel cell and spares. For sure wouldn't fit if the bed was an inch shorter.
Actually, the 6g is 1.4ā€ shorterā€¦

Sponsored

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Actually, the 6g is 1.4ā€ shorterā€¦
Yea, sorry that's what I meant if I had the new truck my bed cage wouldn't fit. And thanks for the correction on the .4, makes a difference. But tbh I thought I was on the 5g website not the 6g šŸ˜‚

JoshR104

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Occupation
IT/Marketing
My biggest concern is that we loose 2000lbs of towing with the new generation. Thatā€™s significant!! Peace.
That is for the raptor ranger not the normal ranger. I believe the towing for normal ranger with the 2.7l will easily be 7500 if not 8k for the US.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a comparison of the 5' box dimensions, taken from both year's BBLB.
Ranger bed comparison.jpg

According to the 2024 Technical specifications, towing capacity remains at 7,500 lbs for the other Ranger models. Too bad to see the Raptor has quite a bit less!.
I wonder why there's such a discrepancy between the total cargo volume on my spec sheet vs. yours. Also, it seems strange to me that they made the tailgate opening so much more narrow at the bottom (W207) compared to the old model.

Sponsored

NC Spuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seed potatoes
I wonder why there's such a discrepancy between the total cargo volume on my spec sheet vs. yours. Also, it seems strange to me that they made the tailgate opening so much more narrow at the bottom (W207) compared to the old model.
I can only assume because you pulled the specs from the Raptor spec sheet. There must either be some differences between the bed specs in that model, or itā€™s a typo.

My information comes from the Ford Body Builders Layout Book. While the BBLB contains different internal dimensions for the Raptor vs standard trims, it didnā€™t have any information regarding Raptor-specific bed specs.

TimmyB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Youā€™re comparing to standard ranger specs, OP quoted Raptor specs. The Raptor model has substantially less towing capacity.
OK, didn't notice that. Just saw the headline with "5G vs 6G".

NC Spuds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Seed potatoes
OK, didn't notice that. Just saw the headline with "5G vs 6G".
No worries, it caught me off-guard as well. It wasnā€™t until I read another posters comment about the towing capacity difference that I realized OP didnā€™t compare apples to apples.

OP
OP
rwolfcastle

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No worries, it caught me off-guard as well. It wasnā€™t until I read another posters comment about the towing capacity difference that I realized OP didnā€™t compare apples to apples.
When it comes to bed dimensions, it is apples to apples. Towing, payload, etc. will be different but this thread is about the bed. The Raptor internal bed dimensions will be identical to the other Rangers.
Sponsored