35s on tremor??

Jackbar

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Hi y'all, I have a 2021 tremor basically stock with the ford performance tuner. I have a 2in leveling kit in hand but I'm hesitant to install. I want to fit 35s on stock wheels with spacers to go for the "bubba" look but I don't believe any 6in lift kits are suitable for the tremor. Any recommendations?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You don't need a 6 in lift for "bubba" 35"s.

A good coilover lift, UCAs, and a crashbar delete will get you there. For the width/offset you want aftermarket wheels or spacers will be desired.

In the rear you don't really need anything seeing as how you have the Tremor. But you might want something to restore some rake.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
My canned response to these threads:

An IFS lift only gives you more tire clearance at ride height. Too big a tire will not clear offroad.

But the downside of lifting IFS is, the lift reduces your total down travel.

You are just pushing the suspension down through it's total range of travel, because the pivots and geometry are the same. A true extended coilover might give you 1" extra of down travel, but not a lot.

You do gain approach, break over, and departure angle from a lift, but again at the cost of reduced down travel.

The general rule is, fit the largest tires that you want, with the smallest amount of lift.

But at the end of the day an IFS equipped midsize truck should be running a 33 or smaller. This goes for Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Chevy, Ford, etc.

For the Ranger the most popular size tires are the 285/70/17 and the 255/80/17.

You need aftermarket crash bars for the 285s.

To the OP: it is your truck, do what you want, but 35s are too big for these trucks. Completely ignoring the fact that we have double a-arm IFS front suspensions, we only have the M190 front differential. There is a reason why the Sasquatch Broncos have the M210 front differential and a completely different front setup, because of the additional mechanical stress of 35" tires. The M210 has 30% more torque capacity than the M190. Think about a 31" tire compared to a 35" wider, heavier tire, struggling for traction offroad, bumping and bouncing.

The rear Dana 44 can take a 35" tire all day, but a 35 is serious stress on our front ends. Good luck if you do any serious offroading, bring spare parts.

This doesn't mean it is impossible. It certainly is possible. However you are adding additional wear and tear on the truck, from the CVs, the differential, the steering rack, the tie rods, the ball joints, the bearings.

I know people will gladly challenge me on this, which is fine, but as an automotive engineer, I've said my piece.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
@Aonarch is right on this. Ye you could fit 35 inch tires with some extenaive work..... But at what cost? In reality its not worth it. If you want bigger tires in general I get it but a 33 is really the most practical size you can get without rediculous modifications. I was able to put 285/70-17 Firestone Destination XT's on my Ranger with the Old Man EMU lift with factory wheels and no spacers. I was also able to keep the factory crash bars(very important here).

All in all there is a risk.... But it is your truck... My suggestion, dont go more than 33's

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
I guess this ole boy didn't take all of the arm chair quarter backs advice on this Forum... 37's, now that's a tire.

Just like this ole boy, it's your Ranger do what you want. I have and it take mine off road every chance I get with just a 3 inch level on 295 70 17 on stock struts with zero issues for the last 3 years. Trust me there are theoriest and then there are people who do. Question is which are you going to be?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My canned response to these threads:

An IFS lift only gives you more tire clearance at ride height. Too big a tire will not clear offroad.

But the downside of lifting IFS is, the lift reduces your total down travel.

You are just pushing the suspension down through it's total range of travel, because the pivots and geometry are the same. A true extended coilover might give you 1" extra of down travel, but not a lot.

You do gain approach, break over, and departure angle from a lift, but again at the cost of reduced down travel.

The general rule is, fit the largest tires that you want, with the smallest amount of lift.

But at the end of the day an IFS equipped midsize truck should be running a 33 or smaller. This goes for Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Chevy, Ford, etc.

For the Ranger the most popular size tires are the 285/70/17 and the 255/80/17.

You need aftermarket crash bars for the 285s.

To the OP: it is your truck, do what you want, but 35s are too big for these trucks. Completely ignoring the fact that we have double a-arm IFS front suspensions, we only have the M190 front differential. There is a reason why the Sasquatch Broncos have the M210 front differential and a completely different front setup, because of the additional mechanical stress of 35" tires. The M210 has 30% more torque capacity than the M190. Think about a 31" tire compared to a 35" wider, heavier tire, struggling for traction offroad, bumping and bouncing.

The rear Dana 44 can take a 35" tire all day, but a 35 is serious stress on our front ends. Good luck if you do any serious offroading, bring spare parts.

This doesn't mean it is impossible. It certainly is possible. However you are adding additional wear and tear on the truck, from the CVs, the differential, the steering rack, the tie rods, the ball joints, the bearings.

I know people will gladly challenge me on this, which is fine, but as an automotive engineer, I've said my piece.
If that's a canned response I hope you a least were able to copy and paste it. Gotta agree for the most part. Bigger is not always better. However, depending on the use of the vehicle and way it's accomplished I can approve 35"s on a Ranger.
I guess this ole boy didn't take all of the arm chair quarter backs advice on this Forum... 37's, now that's a tire.

Just like this ole boy, it's your Ranger do what you want. I have and it take mine off road every chance I get with just a 3 inch level on 295 70 17 on stock struts with zero issues for the last 3 years. Trust me there are theoriest and then there are people who do. Question is which are you going to be?

That's a nice truck. And the owner has put a lot of time and money into the suspension to fit those 37"s.

I think everybody is trying to say is that for most people, and most people's budget's, 33"s are gonna do the trick. Looks like you would agree since you're running a 33" as well.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer

A 295/70/17 isn't a 35" tire.

When people say 35s in the offroad community they typically are referring to a 35x12.50 or a 315/70/17.

A two second Google search: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...YQFnoECCcQBQ&usg=AOvVaw0lGdEJ7hF7s6wEVPJD5GvR

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 295/70/17 isn't a 35" tire.

When people say 35s in the offroad community they typically are referring to a 35x12.50 or a 315/70/17.

A two second Google search: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...YQFnoECCcQBQ&usg=AOvVaw0lGdEJ7hF7s6wEVPJD5GvR
Well thank you so much for clearing that up... Certainly I know what a 35 in tire is. What's your point other than we can't effectively run a 35in tire? Because you say we can't??? I think alot of people can disprove that... Regardless of what the Google gods say. Thank the Lord that Neil Armstrong didn't listen to the flat earthers, otherwise the Moon landing would never had took place..

Go back and read my post carefully. I never claimed that I was currently running 35's. I stated that I've been offloading religiously on 295's with no issue. To be precise the 295 70 17 comes in @ 33.46 inches, so yeah they are larger than 33's, and yes for the record there are plenty of guys here that offroad with 35s on the Ranger, but your not going to do that with stock suspension and stock wheel offsets. You'll just have to Google that one up as well...... BAWAAAA......BAWAAAA.....BAWAAAA

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that's a canned response I hope you a least were able to copy and paste it. Gotta agree for the most part. Bigger is not always better. However, depending on the use of the vehicle and way it's accomplished I can approve 35"s on a Ranger.

That's a nice truck. And the owner has put a lot of time and money into the suspension to fit those 37"s.

I think everybody is trying to say is that for most people, and most people's budget's, 33"s are gonna do the trick. Looks like you would agree since you're running a 33" as well.
Agreed. Like speed or how fast your car is..... All relative to the size of your pocket book.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Running a Icon EXT 2.5in at 3.5in of lift. Im running Cooper STT Pro 315/70R17. Love the tires and I offroad quite a bit.

Flex.jpg
Sweet ride!! I love my Cooper SST PROS. They are a beast in the mud!! Just curious, did you go with a diff drop on the 3.5 lift? I just bought a 3.5 kit for mine just for the upper control arms and diff drop.

Sleepy_Hollow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
USN
I don't but I have looked into it. I probably should get a diff drop. Thanks

OC4095

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Factory Automation Engineer, Auto School Grad, Car Audio Tech
Vehicle Showcase

His is the biggest quality build i've seen. Well done. I like it when people commit an go big.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I just fear some , not all , and CERTAINLY NO ONE HERE , won't be able to control one of these " bubbas" at highway speeds in a panic situation, off road is the wild west , but when you share the highway with small cars and such , and you have drastically changed all kinds of things that effect, well, everything in the way it drives/handles , things could end badly , and if mine , I would feel badly... just be careful on going to far... same applies to cars also if heavily modified methinks. . .
Sponsored