301A vs FX4 package

ParkRanger90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Hello new member here looking at a crewcab 4x4 xlt. For my price range I'm deciding between these two packages. Anyone get one and not the other and wish they did? Thanks
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
The two packages address two different sets of wants/needs. What are you planning on using the truck for?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought an XLT with the FX4 package without the 301A. So, I do not have the power folding mirrors, 8" touch screen, leather wrapped steering wheel, etc.

I'm an not at all sad with this. The XLT interior without these things is still a very nice place to be! I really like the beefy look of the FX4 package and I'm happy I have the added 4x4 features.

Here is my truck's dash without the 301A
nc_ohc=ZnLuhESMsUIAX_btKvw&_nc_ht=scontent.fatl1-2.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have the 501A and the Fx4 package and personally I would want both. Now if you're not going to do much off roading except a few occasional trails and fire roads I'd go with the tech package over the Fx4. You'll probably get a lot more use out of it and you can always add some of the Fx4 features later if you wanted to.

Deleted member 1634

I just bought an XLT with the FX4 package without the 301A. So, I do not have the power folding mirrors, 8" touch screen, leather wrapped steering wheel, etc.

I'm an not at all sad with this. The XLT interior without these things is still a very nice place to be! I really like the beefy look of the FX4 package and I'm happy I have the added 4x4 features.

Here is my truck's dash without the 301A
nc_ohc=ZnLuhESMsUIAX_btKvw&_nc_ht=scontent.fatl1-2.jpg
This setup of base XLT with the FX4 is the way I was leaning. But the wife and I agreed that heated seats were a pretty big thing we wanted, which means we had to get the 302A package, let along the 301A. In the end, I'm very happy with my truck and the setup I have. There isn't anything I don't use or really anything I want that I don't currently have, options wise. So even though the base XLT is I'm sure all you ever need, the amenities of 301A are nice.

If you have to choose between the two though, then like others have said, it depends what are you going to use the truck for more. The 301A will add some better amenities for daily driving and road trips. But the FX4 will help with adverse conditions, whether off-road or otherwise.

Romac

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE
I took a 301A 4x4 XLT Sport over an FX4 when I was deciding, although if I'm being honest the color/sport package was the major deciding factor over the other two. I originally wanted a white 4 door but they only had extended cabs (which is what I was trading out of with my Tacoma). I drove a Lariat fx4, my sport XLT, and an XL with none of the features.

I love the 301A package personally - and I'm not someone who's had a lot of features or particularly cares as much. But it's nice having the extra tech and features and I find myself using them more than I thought.

Just my opinion but I think remedying what you're missing in the aftermarket is easier to do (like upgrading the skid plates and suspension over the factory fx4) than vice versa with the tech and comfort you're missing.

Just be really honest with yourself about the trucks use case. I have 4x4 and I'll probably be able to count on my hands how many times I'll use it over the life of the truck, probably would've been 100% fine with a 2wd if I'm being honest with myself. But I liked the 'what if' we got some freak snow storm or I did decide to do some actual off roading scenario in my head lol.

They're both good packages its a tough choice, and they're expensive trucks so I definitely understand finding the right value for your hard earned dollar. For me, I use the 301 A stuff every day in some way when I get in the truck, and I cant say that about any of the 4x4 stuff.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
If your going to be doing a lot of off roading then go with the FX4 - If you are only going to do light off-road then I would go with 301A package. Personally the 301A package was a must have when I purchased. I wanted the heated seats, the CarPlay , rear sliding windows and the other items in the package.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If your going to be doing a lot of off roading then go with the FX4 - If you are only going to do light off-road then I would go with 301A package. Personally the 301A package was a must have when I purchased. I wanted the heated seats, the CarPlay , rear sliding windows and the other items in the package.
Hi Folks,

I really do not need the FX4, but bought it for the heritage story behind the brand...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Hello new member here looking at a crewcab 4x4 xlt. For my price range I'm deciding between these two packages. Anyone get one and not the other and wish they did? Thanks
Price range.....

Our Ranger is an XL with the FX4 package and without the 301A. A great combo.... It's low tech but you get the traction control and the upgraded display in the gauge package. And it looks great with the better tires and FX-4 decals.

005.JPG

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I got the XLT 302A and no FX4, just the 4x4. I have no complaints and got everything I wanted and nothing I didn't want.
Sponsored