First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Hey all, pretty sure this will work, but even after a lot of digging in forums, I am not 100%. I am assuming a wheel change (or spacer) to probably around +25mm (sticking with 17"). I am also planning on swapping in the Ready Lift crash bars (or just removing entirely). I really don't want to do a spacer lift on top of the stock suspension if I can possibly avoid it. I really love the feel of the current suspension but just want to get some taller and wider tires. Any thoughts?

Edit: To be more clear, looking at 285/70/17 probably Falken WPs or BFG KO2s (so just under 33")
Sponsored

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
285s? Remove or replace crash bars.

285s plus that spacer? Def remove crash bars - have kitchen shears on standby - just in case.

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
Hey all, pretty sure this will work, but even after a lot of digging in forums, I am not 100%. I am assuming a wheel change (or spacer) to probably around +25mm (sticking with 17"). I am also planning on swapping in the Ready Lift crash bars (or just removing entirely). I really don't want to do a spacer lift on top of the stock suspension if I can possibly avoid it. I really love the feel of the current suspension but just want to get some taller and wider tires. Any thoughts?
285 doesn't give enough info? I am pretty sure you will need at least a 1" spacer lift to get taller tires. (Just an assumption looking at my Tremor. You will definitely need the Ready Lift crash bars or possibly remove. My stock tremor tires come within 1/4" of the factory bars. Let us know how it goes, I am looking for larger tires myself.

OP
OP
gwhalin

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
285s? Remove or replace crash bars.

285s plus that spacer? Def remove crash bars - have kitchen shears on standby - just in case.
I am assuming I will need more offset to prevent any rubbing on suspension? If not, would actually prefer to just keep the factory wheels. Just really don't want to mess with adding a hockey puck to get more height.

OP
OP
gwhalin

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
285 doesn't give enough info? I am pretty sure you will need at least a 1" spacer lift to get taller tires. (Just an assumption looking at my Tremor. You will definitely need the Ready Lift crash bars or possibly remove. My stock tremor tires come within 1/4" of the factory bars. Let us know how it goes, I am looking for larger tires myself.
Yep, sorry. 285/70/17 so likely just under 33" in height. Edited original post with this.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I am assuming I will need more offset to prevent any rubbing on suspension? If not, would actually prefer to just keep the factory wheels. Just really don't want to mess with adding a hockey puck to get more height.
Offset’s a funny thing - the larger the hub spacer , the more problems you might have. Big hub spacers are like having lower or negative offset wheels.

Spacers and lower offset push your wheels out. Think of it this way, turn your wheels all the way left, the hub is now at an angle, now put in a two inch spacer, and you’re pushing your tire closer toward the crash bars.

The picture below tells the story - the horizontal bars represent the crash bars, the shaded tire represents the new tire position with a low offset wheel or adding a spacer.

D8C3193F-03ED-4059-84B2-4A4EC1724723.jpeg

Now add in the reality that the more lift you have, the higher up you are in the tire’s arch and the more room you have to clear crash bars.

So, with those wide and tall 285s, you need to:

1. Clear the knuckle (1/4” to 1/2” spacer will do it)
  2. Not push your tires into the crash bars (keep factory wheels)
  3. Hope your Tremor’s factory lift is high enough (likely)

There is a 1” front level kit on the market if needed but should be a last resort.

CarbonTremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 04 Jaguar XJR, 21 Bronco Sport
Curious myself. .I'm looking to install the fox 2.0 adjustable coil overs to level, 1" spacer, & 285s

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
gwhalin

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Offset’s a funny thing - the larger the hub spacer , the more problems you might have. Big hub spacers are like having lower or negative offset wheels.

Spacers and lower offset push your wheels out. Think of it this way, turn your wheels all the way left, the hub is now at an angle, now put in a two inch spacer, and you’re pushing your tire closer toward the crash bars.

The picture below tells the story - the horizontal bars represent the crash bars, the shaded tire represents the new tire position with a low offset wheel or adding a spacer.

D8C3193F-03ED-4059-84B2-4A4EC1724723.jpeg

Now add in the reality that the more lift you have, the higher up you are in the tire’s arch and the more room you have to clear crash bars.

So, with those wide and tall 285s, you need to:

1. Clear the knuckle (1/4” to 1/2” spacer will do it)
  2. Not push your tires into the crash bars (keep factory wheels)
  3. Hope your Tremor’s factory lift is high enough (likely)

There is a 1” front level kit on the market if needed but should be a last resort.
Yep totally understand offset and impact on crash bars. I am convinced crash bars need to go (or be replaced with low profile). Also suspect will need to decrease offset to clear suspension. Totally understand all of that.

Really just asking to see if anyone has done this with stock Tremor suspension.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Something I was curious about. Please update if you do it. By the time I need tires though I will likely have a 1" level and 1" wheel spacer.....but still curious if 100% stock can handle them

OP
OP
gwhalin

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Something I was curious about. Please update if you do it. By the time I need tires though I will likely have a 1" level and 1" wheel spacer.....but still curious if 100% stock can handle them
I ordered a set of new wheels and tires. I think they are three weeks out. Will update when they arrive.

SEkevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2021 Ranger Tremor Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
We will be waiting for your results! I’m real curious as to what it will handle with a minimum investment. Would love to go up in tire size but don’t want to spend big bucks to do it.

OP
OP
gwhalin

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
We will be waiting for your results! I’m real curious as to what it will handle with a minimum investment. Would love to go up in tire size but don’t want to spend big bucks to do it.
All new wheels and tires is definitely big bucks. :)

SEkevin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2021 Ranger Tremor Lariat
Occupation
Healthcare
All new wheels and tires is definitely big bucks. :)
Just want bigger rubber at some point when stock tires wear down. Would settle for 275 but 285 would be great.

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
Little late seeing this.

i have 285/70/17 ridge grapplers on mine with a ~23mm+ offset wheel (wider wheel than stock tremor).
Stock suspension w/ no leveling and it fits fine. Crash bars cut in half and its decently far from them. Took it on a decent trail and no tire rubbing or damage.

Be warned on the mileage hit, my tires are 55lbs (51lbs per fedex which is weird) and RTR wheels which i believe are the same or lighter than stock, and my mpg went from 21 to about 18, but those are both with the bed cover which bumped up my stock mpg.

Zvedza

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '04 SVT Lightning, '16 ZX-10R
Little late seeing this.

i have 285/70/17 ridge grapplers on mine with a ~23mm+ offset wheel (wider wheel than stock tremor).
Stock suspension w/ no leveling and it fits fine. Crash bars cut in half and its decently far from them. Took it on a decent trail and no tire rubbing or damage.

Be warned on the mileage hit, my tires are 55lbs (51lbs per fedex which is weird) and RTR wheels which i believe are the same or lighter than stock, and my mpg went from 21 to about 18, but those are both with the bed cover which bumped up my stock mpg.
Forgot to add the most important part, pictures.
2nd pic is next to 35's on a raptor.
1637258703375.png
1637258715636.png
Sponsored