275/65/18 ko2 fitment

Vermonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Hi all,
I have checked out all the tire threads, but can't find an answer just yet. I am looking at installing 275/65/18 KO2's on my STOCK wheels. Can anyone verify they fit fine with no rubbing or contact at full lock and compression? with a stock suspension?

I will have the Fox coilovers set to 2.5" eventually, but it may be a few weeks. I am just trying to be sure they won't rub under hard use/full stuff of the suspension and locked steering. Looks are nice, but first and formost is a clean fit and no issues for reliability and peace of mind in the woods.
Thanks for any input!

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
You'll need spacers, the 265's are already VERY close to the spindle (less than a 1/4") so the sidewall will definitely be rubbing. You will also probably rub at the fenders under full lock too.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
You'll need spacers, the 265's are already VERY close to the spindle (less than a 1/4") so the sidewall will definitely be rubbing. You will also probably rub at the fenders under full lock too.
Doug,

Agreed, with out the spacers it will most certainly rub. The issue is the massive + offset of the factory wheels. Could barely fit one finger between the stock tires and the spindle arm. I went with a -12mm offset wheel and 295's that are a tad over 33in tall. I can put a fist between the tire and arm now. However, had to remove the crash bars and modify the rear blocks behind the crash bars to make it work off-road at full flex and lock. Replacing the crash bars with the fab techs soon.

Vermonster,

Your moving up to a little more than 1/2in in tire size, even with the spacers you may have slight rubbing on the crash bars off-road at full flex and lock. Easy fix, just remove the crash bars and replace. You'll love it in the woods with a larger tire and a bit more aggressive tread.

OP
OP

Vermonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Thanks to both of you. I appreciate the info and insight. Spacers it is for now, maybe new wheels sometime soon!

ChopprJock

First Name
Lyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, FX4, Sport, Tow Packages
Occupation
Aero Engineer / Ops Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Over the weekend I traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was running 275/65R18 BFG AT KO2's. In the trade I asked for the tires to be swapped if they fit...Just got home from the dealer a couple of hours ago. They swapped the tires and took the truck out for a quick test drive. Happy to report that they came back and said "no rubbing."

I will say this though- they are VERY close to the front intrusion beams. I am sure that under suspension flex they would rub slightly, but even coming to the bottom of a down slope with the wheels turned I did not rub. I am ordering a set of the FabTech angled intrusion beams though, just to make sure! And a leveling kit is on its way already...

As for the spindle clearance, these tires actually have MORE clearance than the stock Hankooks! Because they are almost two inches larger in diameter, the widest part of the tire is higher and due to the curvature of the spindle there is quite a bit more room.

My Ranger is stock, no leveling kit or anything. I will try and take pics when it is light out and post them.

CAVEAT - My BFG's have just under 10,000 miles on them so they are not brand new.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Over the weekend I traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was running 275/65R18 BFG AT KO2's. In the trade I asked for the tires to be swapped if they fit...Just got home from the dealer a couple of hours ago. They swapped the tires and took the truck out for a quick test drive. Happy to report that they came back and said "no rubbing."

I will say this though- they are VERY close to the front intrusion beams. I am sure that under suspension flex they would rub slightly, but even coming to the bottom of a down slope with the wheels turned I did not rub. I am ordering a set of the FabTech angled intrusion beams though, just to make sure! And a leveling kit is on its way already...

As for the spindle clearance, these tires actually have MORE clearance than the stock Hankooks! Because they are almost two inches larger in diameter, the widest part of the tire is higher and due to the curvature of the spindle there is quite a bit more room.

My Ranger is stock, no leveling kit or anything. I will try and take pics when it is light out and post them.

CAVEAT - My BFG's have just under 10,000 miles on them so they are not brand new.
Wow that's some useful information, please post pics or more info when you can! I wanted to go with Grabber ATX on the stock 18s but it was a no-go due to the limited sizes available. There is however a LT275/65R18

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Your truck is a 4x4, my guess is that a 2wd with a 2” front lift could also accommodate this size?

ChopprJock

First Name
Lyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Your truck is a 4x4, my guess is that a 2wd with a 2” front lift could also accommodate this size?
Really not sure...I have no knowledge of the differences (if any) of the 2wd vs 4wd, sorry...

ChopprJock

First Name
Lyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that's some useful information, please post pics or more info when you can! I wanted to go with Grabber ATX on the stock 18s but it was a no-go due to the limited sizes available. There is however a LT275/65R18
Thanks, and like I said...They clear the front intrusion beam (with the plastic cover still on) by about 1/8 to 1.4 inch. I'm sure if I flexed the truck in a tight turn they would rub. I've got the Fabtech modified bars on order along with a 2.5" leveling kit.

I've only got a couple of pics of the truck in stock configuration, but I will post those, then with the tires mounted ASAP. As soon as I get the leveling kit I'll add pics of that too.

ChopprJock

First Name
Lyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Current set up of the truck- SuperCrew Lariat FX4 with Sport and Tow packages. Here is a pic of the BFG's (275/65R18), along with shots of the VERY tight front crash bar clearance and the spindle clearance. I have a solid 1/2 inch clearance on the spindle....wish I had that on the front! Modified crash bars shipped today, I will baby this thing until they get here...

StockHeightw275-65R18BFGs.jpg

FrontTireStockHeight.jpg

ThatsTight.jpg

SpindleClearance.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I would like to take this opportunity to enlighten you on one thing Ford Testing does..It is called a Jounce Study. the vehicle is put on a hoist, a dual piston that lifts the front and rear independently. The vehicle is lifted to about 5 ft. At both hoists, front and rear are giant bullrings and the vehicle frame is cabled with huge stranded cables so the vehicle cannot move. Then each wheel is raised to its maximum suspension travel (with jounce bumpers removed). Then the front suspension is rotated to the right lock for the left side tire, for example and the vehicle is inspected for any rubbing., including brake hoses, crash bars as you call them etc. If anything is identified, then there are are redesigns. Then the vehicle is rotated left and again inspected. Then the right side is inspected. Then the left rear, only that there is no steering input...Then the right side rear is done as well.

I will bet none of you with larger wheels, changed offsets, added spacer, larger tires go through this above through study.

So how many of you think you are not going to rub a brake hose? Like I have said before, when you modify your vehicle, you are in uncharted territory.

Please take this as an FYI on how Ford engineering does testing to certify vehicles for sale. My goal is not $hit in your Easter Basket, but explain things you should consider when you embarking on modifications.

Sorry, but with my racecar crash, years ago, screwed up my back and I am in physical therapy and cannot sit at the computer for hours on end. This has only happened a few times in the last 20 years, but my crawling under my Ranger to photograph my left rear suspension did me in...Sigh.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

Last edited:

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I hope your pain diminishes soon Phil. I had same thoughts with my Jeep and the lift I installed, larger tires, shocks and the changes in geometry that impacted drive quality and in some case required additional modifications. A stronger track Bar, adjustable LCA's, a stronger steering stabilizer, programmer to modify shift points and other values. The extra weight of larger tires and wheels really had a significant impact with drive characteristics. You should enjoy what ever you do but be aware there might be consequences, perhaps unanticipated, from your mods.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
@ChopprJock which modified crash bars? is that clearance at full lock or straight wheel?

@P. A. Schilke Thanks for the perspective on the thorough testing. I think most owners find out the hard way first and then buy the parts to fix it (tires first, modified crash bars later :sunglasses:). There is also usually decent aftermarket support for offroaders where a supplier will provide brake line relocation brackets for example. I think we are still all learning the new Ranger to know what to look out for to be safe.

Last edited:

themikeyan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Lariat FX4
@ChopprJock which modified crash bars? is that clearance at full lock or straight wheel?

@P. A. Schilke Thanks for the perspective on the thorough testing. I think most owners find out the hard way first and then buy the parts to fix it (tires first, modified crash bars later :sunglasses:). There is also usually decent aftermarket support for offroaders where a supplier will provide brake line relocation brackets for example. I think we are still all learning the new Ranger to know what to look out for to be safe.
https://www.rogue-offroad.com/product-p/fts22296.htm

I installed these the other day, fitment is pretty good but I needed to finesse one of them

20190825_152148.jpg

20190825_152143.jpg

Bennyboy

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT