John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
Warning this is long to help others out and I am sure things could have been done better and I did some things wrong but its in and working ...... So my audio system in my 2021 XL stripper sounded ok but it had no backup cam in the dash display (its a tiny 2.5 inch screen in the backup mirror instead and I hated the 90's dot matrix display in the radio head. I AM NOT a techie guy . I havent installed a stereo in 30 yrs since it was just 11 wires back then and you were done. I still dont have all the head unit features working but I am really close . I purchased the Metra Faceplate made for the Pioneer 8" radio , Maestro RR2 steering wheel unit and F02 harness - I thought it would all work. I also had some help from bltfrdtgh so kudos to him helping me out . So you have to pick your make , model and steering wheel type, stereo model and serial number and switch functionality off the idata website for flashing the RR2 unit which programs your steering buttons functionality with the Pioneer - issue 1 they didnt have my specific 2021 stripper steering wheel to choose from so I chose the only one there . So you then flash your RR2 unit via usb laptop and your good to go . So you end up cutting off the 4 speaker wire RCA's and solder several other wires which are all color coded and matched up pretty good to the F02 harness. Then you plugin it all in the back of the Pioneer... additionally the USB cable,4 pin black data cable from the pioneer over to the rr2 , and a few other cables color coded over to the RR2 from the F02 harness, antenna (which you need an adapter cable to go from the factory Ford antenna lead to the old school Pioneer antenna lead, microphone .Of the three Ford block cable connectors poking out of my dash I only used the main -largest one. The other two were taped up and stuffed in the void behind the radio. So now that everything is plugged in - in theory you are ready to go . So I stuffed everything in the dash and fired it up praying. It fired up and the radio worked fine, Bluetooth works, Phone etc. B U T only volume up , volume down, mute work on my steering wheel buttons ....none of the phone buttons or station changing buttons on my steering wheel worked.....Your Ford menu buttons on the left side of the steering wheel however still worked . I got through to Idata RR2 tech support people and they told me the 2021 is apparently different and they dont have a solution engineered yet . WTF . At this point 2 days in I am not about to yank it all and send it all back. So I programmed my buttons that were working to dual mode where each switch can do two things if you hold the button down as opposed to momentarily pushing it as a workaround as the tech suggested. The tech said they should have a solution and to keep checking back with them for a new flash or wiring etc. So now I start playing with it and the backup camera doesnt work. My little camera in my rearview mirror still works and the Pioneer screen goes to black when I throw it in reverse . I say screw it I am not going to start ripping into harnesses probing for video signals, +, ground etc . So I bought a $25 Erapta license plate backup camera off Amazon and connected it to the backup tailight + and ground . Ran the wires through the frame, cab floor to the radio and connected the yellow Erapta RCA jack to the brown Pioneer Female RCA backup cam input. Voila it worked ! The picture is decent and the stagnant backup lines helpful. You can disable them apparently by cutting a white wire on the Erapta cable but I chose to leave the lines. So now I notice my USB source is grayed out on the pioneer screen ? When I connect my android phone the "Android Auto App" will not launch or work work AT ALL. I thought the supplied USB cable was probably bad so I pulled the unit out of the dash for the 9th time put a new USB cable in and it still will not work and is grayed out . I have done some reading around the web and apparently as a distracted driving safety feature if you do not have the parking brake set - radio green wire grounded , several people have said that disables the USB port. I DID NOT ground my green wire so tomorrow I will pull the unit out yet again , ground that green wire and see if the port finally comes to life and my Android Auto can then finally work etc. Its not perfect yet, was an absolute pita , but I have a nice 8" backup cam now , NICE sounding system - with the stock speakers , Bluetooth, Phone and hopefully I get that USB port working in a few days after a much needed break from this . Next time I will buy the next higher truck trim level lol.......BTW the 2021 hazard switch does NOT fit properly in the Metra faceplate ...the hole is too small . Pic 6 discard pile - cables you dont use. FordPass still works I can remote start-stop ,lock -unlock with the Pioneer in there so the systems are totally separate apparently in this case.
s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

s6.jpg

s7.jpg

s8.jpg

s9.jpg

s10.jpg

s11.jpg

s15.jpg

Antenna adapter.jpg

s16.jpg

Erapta 26.jpg

s20.jpg

s21.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
@sootie007 when you pulled the factory unit out and did this were you able to retain the fordpass app functions such as remote start and vehicle location? i know it's a separate module within the truck but wondering if it was reliant on talking to the original unit as that is where you do the setup for it.

OP
OP
sootie007

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
That's pretty awesome man. I wish I had the balls to dive into modern day electronics like that. I'm 31 and reading that made my head hurt lol.
Im 56 and contemplated suicide during this install :) lol......

Last edited:
OP
OP
sootie007

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
@sootie007 when you pulled the factory unit out and did this were you able to retain the fordpass app functions such as remote start and vehicle location? i know it's a separate module within the truck but wondering if it was reliant on talking to the original unit as that is where you do the setup for it.
I just went out and tried it for you - it still works with the aftermarket Pioneer head unit, lock, unlock, remote start, remote turn off with FordPass.

Scottp528

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CREW CAB 2wd, 2019 Ford Fusion SE
OP, thanks for taking the time to write this up and posting. I saw your post on the Facebook group, same pics, and it finally convinced me to go ahead and pull the trigger on the same set up. I just put a hurting on my credit card but I’m sure it’ll be worth it.

OP
OP
sootie007

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
OP, thanks for taking the time to write this up and posting. I saw your post on the Facebook group, same pics, and it finally convinced me to go ahead and pull the trigger on the same set up. I just put a hurting on my credit card but I’m sure it’ll be worth it.
Scott I am going to be straightup with you ...that guy Jasons setup on facebook seems like it went in alot better with zero issues ...use his hardware list ...I honestly wouldnt do my choices here yet ......not all my switches are working yet , usb port still not responding (havent figured that out yet ) ....the Erapta aftermarket camera I am happy with though and it worked right off the bat .....

Last edited:

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Scott I am going to be straightup with you ...that guy Jasons setup on facebook seems like it went in alot better with zero issues ...use his hardware list ...I honestly wouldnt do my choices here ......not all my switches are working yet , usb port still not responding (havent figured that out yet ) ....the camera I am happy with though and it worked right off the bat .....
I just did an install on my sons 2004 Mazda 6 (biggest pain in the ass ever) and the USB and Android Auto would not work unless I had the green neutral safety witch run to the ebrake. It was easy since you need to pull the center console apart to take the factory radio out, but it works like a charm now. Good Luck!

OP
OP
sootie007

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
I just did an install on my sons 2004 Mazda 6 (biggest pain in the ass ever) and the USB and Android Auto would not work unless I had the green neutral safety witch run to the ebrake. It was easy since you need to pull the center console apart to take the factory radio out, but it works like a charm now. Good Luck!
Good to know is that a +12 connection or ground ?

Scottp528

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CREW CAB 2wd, 2019 Ford Fusion SE
Scott I am going to be straightup with you ...that guy Jasons setup on facebook seems like it went in alot better with zero issues ...use his hardware list ...I honestly wouldnt do my choices here ......not all my switches are working yet , usb port still not responding (havent figured that out yet ) ....the camera I am happy with though and it worked right off the bat .....
Thanks for the advice. I‘ve been researching for a while now and have a buddy that can help. Your posts and the one on FB just convinced me to go with the 8 inch unit instead of a smaller 6.8 inch unit like I had planned on.

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Good to know is that a +12 connection or ground ?
There is 1 wire connected to the emergency brake and I used a wire tap to hook it up. I don't exactly know if it's +12 or ground, but I believe it is a ground.

OP
OP
sootie007

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
There is 1 wire connected to the emergency brake and I used a wire tap to hook it up. I don't exactly know if it's +12 or ground, but I believe it is a ground.
I am reading different things.....some say it must toggle from +12 to ground to work ????? I saw a video on another OLDER Pioneer where the guy had a momentary switch - one side to +12 the other side to ground ....in my main screen menu USB is grayed out - I am suspecting this is why ........ I needed a break so I will pull it out of the dash in a few days and try ground all the time - then +12 / gnd with a momentary switch ....I can imagine the USB port is fried out of the box :( ..... anyone with newer pioneer experience know for sure ?

OP
OP
sootie007

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
Pulled it out one more time to get the usb / Android auto finally working... I did need a high to low toggle on the Pioneer parking brake switch line to enable my usb port . I bought this toggling chip device off Amazon for $10 . Its a 3 wire connection so I soldered black to ground, Blue to Blue / white Stripe (system remote control wire which is +12 on the Pioneer as I read it with a voltmeter ) , green to Parking brake green wire on the Pioneer . Some older Pioneers I guess you just needed a constant ground connection on that wire and it would work but in the name of safety the manufacturers have gotten wise to guys wiring it that way bypassing it and now you need a +12 to ground toggle pulse in order to work. All in all a pita lol. Hope this post helps others on this type of install......This old guy will never do another one of these upgrades ;) .

pioneer 5.jpg

pioneer 2.jpg

pioneer 1.jpg

pioneer 3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sootie007

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
I like this OBD display ability on this Radio . Trans temp , Boost pressure, Coolant temp, Inlet temp, Exhaust gas temp ,Tire pressure. If an OBD code is thrown this will display it as well. That will be very handy.

display.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: