First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It wouldn't surprise me in the least. With the way the Bronco and Maverick have been I'm almost expecting this to be delayed too.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I just wish they would officially reveal it so we can quit guessing what it looks like....

I too am not surprised by this if it does indeed happen, but most of what was in that article was not new, just a rehash of other motorbiscuit articles. Just trying to generate more clicks I think.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
For those not over on the 6G site here's the latest update from the Admin:

We have some insider confirmed information about the next generation Ford Ranger, which we'll keep updated in this sticky thread as we learn more.

2022 RANGER (P703 - Global) PRODUCTION TIMELINE:
  • Launches globally first, starting with Thailand first, then Australia (May 2022)

2023 RANGER (P703N - U.S. Version) PRODUCTION TIMELINE:
  • Final design approval achieved in early 2019.
  • Job 1 Production begins on May 1, 2023 July 10, 2023 at Michigan Assembly Plant (MAP).
  • OK-To-Buy (OKTB) should be achieved in July 2023
  • Official launch (sales/dealer stock) set for July 3, 2023 sometime in August/September 2023.
  • Next-gen Ranger Raptor will also be available in 2023 (confirmed)
  • Production life ends April 2031.

As usual, these dates are subject to change.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had forgotten all about the OKTB step. For those unfamilar with new vehicle launches, this is Ford's "production shakeout" period. Basically, they produce a limited number of vehicles and then closely inspect them to look for any manufacturing issues introduced with a new model. Once they have completed some sort of internal sign off, the OKTB is achieved and units can start shipping out. Until OKTB is achieved no units will leave the plant (at least that is how I understood it). It is a significant milestone for a new product launch. I would guess this one should happen relatively quickly since the 6G is similar to the 5G, so I wouldn't expect significant production line changes. If I recall correctly when the 5G launched it took like 6 weeks to get OKTB (but my memory could be failing me). That was very different though as they'd never produced a Ranger at MAP before the 5G started.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had forgotten all about the OKTB step. For those unfamilar with new vehicle launches, this is Ford's "production shakeout" period. Basically, they produce a limited number of vehicles and then closely inspect them to look for any manufacturing issues introduced with a new model. Once they have completed some sort of internal sign off, the OKTB is achieved and units can start shipping out. Until OKTB is achieved no units will leave the plant (at least that is how I understood it). It is a significant milestone for a new product launch. I would guess this one should happen relatively quickly since the 6G is similar to the 5G, so I wouldn't expect significant production line changes. If I recall correctly when the 5G launched it took like 6 weeks to get OKTB (but my memory could be failing me). That was very different though as they'd never produced a Ranger at MAP before the 5G started.
Hi Rob,

The way it used to go, and I think is still the case, the small vehicle run of new vehicles is called 4P, Pre Production Product Proveout, this is a small build of vehicles that are salable but not Job 1 level and are usually used or internal purposes or crushed. Once the AIMS deck of assembly related issuse is resolved there is an OK to proceed to Job 1. Then at Job 1 the launch team drives and evaluates the first vehicles off the line and if to design intent a OK to Ship is issued and the units are then delivered through a gate to the Rail Shipper or Haul a way trucking company. At that time, Ford receives their $ for the units. The rail shipper or haul a way company now owns the units.

best,
Phil

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

The way it used to go, and I think is still the case, the small vehicle run of new vehicles is called 4P, Pre Production Product Proveout, this is a small build of vehicles that are salable but not Job 1 level and are usually used or internal purposes or crushed. Once the AIMS deck of assembly related issuse is resolved there is an OK to proceed to Job 1. Then at Job 1 the launch team drives and evaluates the first vehicles off the line and if to design intent a OK to Ship is issued and the units are then delivered through a gate to the Rail Shipper or Haul a way trucking company. At that time, Ford receives their $ for the units. The rail shipper or haul a way company now owns the units.

best,
Phil
So is OK to ship = OKTB? If my memory serves me correctly, in the 5G rollout some of those 4P vehicles were used in some of the "dog and pony shows" they did around the country before they were available in dealers.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So is OK to ship = OKTB? If my memory serves me correctly, in the 5G rollout some of those 4P vehicles were used in some of the "dog and pony shows" they did around the country before they were available in dealers.
Yep...Okay to Ship. Dog and pony shows are sometimes a good use for 4P units. They can be sold to individuals with VP approval, a very unusual process and rarely done. None of my 4P units were sold to individuals, but my 4P FX4 were used by Port Authority of NY and NJ post 9-11. Then crushed afterwards except for one unit that was proudly displayed at World Headquarters, all banged up, dented and dirty. Sat there for a month...quite an honor to me....

Best,
Phil

LifeisaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
That article is nothing but speculation and guesswork, typical of that website in my experience.
That article lost a lot of credibility with me when they said:

"Typically it takes about six weeks for a new truck to arrive through the ordering process..."

6 weeks? Yeah, right! They are about a decade behind the times.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep...Okay to Ship. Dog and pony shows are sometimes a good use for 4P units. They can be sold to individuals with VP approval, a very unusual process and rarely done. None of my 4P units were sold to individuals, but my 4P FX4 were used by Port Authority of NY and NJ post 9-11. Then crushed afterwards except for one unit that was proudly displayed at World Headquarters, all banged up, dented and dirty. Sat there for a month...quite an honor to me....

Best,
Phil
You said what I was trying to say a lot better - my point being that even though Job 1 has started that doesn't mean they are shipping - there is still another step before any will leave the factory.

Thanks for the clarification.
Sponsored