2022 XL STX no tow pkg question

Kmjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4
First off it’s nice to meet everyone. I look forward to gaining knowledge/sharing experiences with other ranger owners.

This is my first post after reading through as many threads as possible to find some direction.

I want to install a TBC and attempted to have the dealer install the red arc while they were doing some warranty work on a wheel balance issue I was experiencing from the day I purchased the vehicle.

knowing the issue with the lack of 4 wires in the XL models I explained this to the dealer but they were confident my truck would have the wires, turns out they were wrong as I suspected.

Preparing for this I have already purchased the Ford 7500lb hitch (I will be installing regardless of TBC install)
i also have the C harness (my truck does not have reverse sensors) and the OEM 7 pin/4pin connector available to me locally. (Unpaid for) as well as the red arc (unpaid for)

My question for those of you with experience or knowledge of installing a TBC on Rangers who did not have the supplied wires at the kick and how to do so.

Am I able to use the ford recommended red arc with self wiring? This route would utilize the rear oem C harness and plug.
Or do I have to install an aftermarket TBC, would I be able to wire this into the rear oem c harness and plug?

I believe I read a few responses of some members wiring themselves. If so I very much appreciate any advice.
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
The TBC Ford sells is the RedARC, but there is an additional module that activates trailer braking during Automatic Emergency Braking. If you installed the off the shelf RedARC, trailer brakes will not be activated in an emergency. It ties into the high mount brake light above the rear window, not the wiring harness.
I believe the harness you will be buying is to accommodate the 7 and 4 pin trailer connectors. So the Ford TBC should work.
I'm also surprised that a dealer will install an outside device for TBC not approved by Ford.

OP
OP

Kmjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this redarc system was supplied by ford to work with my Ranger. They we’re not able to install it due to the missing 4 wires.

I have not installed the hitch yet because I would need to purchase and install both the rear OEM non sensor (C) harness and OEM 7/4.

I will not do that until I know what and how to wire a TBC that will (RedARC) or won’t (other) work with the OEM C harness and OEM plug

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I'm going to assume this truck doesn't have the automatic emergency braking based on trim level and you would leverage just the redarc controller direct from redarc. Without the automatic emergency braking system, you end up not using all of the ford bundled redarc kit and spending more money. If that is bad assumption, you can ignore this response.

The following article, though not ranger specific, covers the circuits you would need to create to make it all work. If you run the trailer charge and brake wires along the main harness, you could get the pins to integrate it at the harness plug where the rear bumper harness connects.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-brake-control-troubleshooting.aspx

I realize this doesn't get you all the details, but hopefully helps in the journey.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I know I've seen owners that have added the needed wires for a TBC on the XLs.

Search enough and you will find it.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You might start with PMing this dude...

Reposting this from another thread. A handful of members on this forum have done this. If you bought a XL without tow package you will have a few extra steps... Any questions PM me or go through my previous posts.

None of the XL's, XLT's, or Lariats come with a factory trailer brake controller. But the XLT's and the Lariats regardless of having the tow package do come with the wires easily accessible that will make installation of one MUCH easier when installing one yourself (or cheaper if paying someone else to do it for you)

It is my understanding from reading these forums at length and personal experience that at-least all of the 2019 XL's without tow package lack the 4 wires in the drivers footwell area for easy post purchase addition of a trailer brake controller.

XLT's and Lariats have them regardless of trailer tow package or not. I cannot speak for the 2020 model year trucks although I doubt there is any change.

The ford accessory trailer brake controller for the 2019&2020 ranger is part number VKB3Z-2C006-A
it uses..
-12v+ battery power (this adds an extra step for XL owners w/o tow pk 2)
-trailer brake output wire (this adds an extra step for XL owners w/o tow pk 2)
-ground at location within cab
-an external ECU that is routed to the CHMSL to intercept the brake signals (provided with kit)

Added steps for an XL owner to be able to use a trailer brake controller cliff notes edition.
-run a dedicated circuit direct from the battery (+terminal) to within the cab to power TBC
*I used this redarc 30-amp circuit breaker kit to provide power for my install*
-run a 10 gauge TBC output wire from your cab...
*For this I chose to have the dealership locate the wire on the main loom as close to cab as possible that will communicate to the trailer brake output pin on the 7 way plug. They had to cut the protective covering off the wiring running to the rear of the truck and tone out the TBC wire,
make a solder&crimp connection followed up with a weatherproof covering and run that wire to the drivers side footwell so that it may reach the complimentary blue wire on the TBC. (use your ford pass points if you can I was charged 2 hours at $120)

So all in all for XL owner without factory tow package you need.
-hitch (105-350$ depending on aftermarket or OEM)
-TBC mentioned above (not required but easiest/least inherent risk IMHO)
-the appropriate " -c" or "-d" harness and 7 way plug for bumper (roughly 150$)
-provide power to cab (kit is 50$, if you're handy DIY is like 12-15$ at any auto parts store)
-route 10 ga. wire to communicate with plug at rear (12$ per 8' of 10 ga wire or so and the appropriate tools to locate the correct wire)

OP
OP

Kmjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You might start with PMing this dude...
D Fresh this is very much appreciated. All of the reading I completed I either missed or did not find this thread.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
For those interested, the Ford part number for the TBC is: VKB3Z-2C006-A. This unit assumes it is at least an XLT.

It is easy to install, but rather time consuming. If you have the correct tools (clip on plastic trim tools are a must!!), it takes about 4 hours. You'd better know how to solder, and use heat shrink (no cigarette lighters!!). Why Ford decided to use the CHMSL as a sense, is beyond me, as the feed to it is accessible under the dash.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Here's what I did.

The Ford/Redarc controller only needs 4 leads.
- 12+ from the battery
- Ground
- Brake signal from CHMSL
- TBC blue output

The ground and CHMSL connections can be handled inside the cabin. The two wires I had to run manually were the +12V battery and the TBC output.

For the 12V from the battery, I just ran a sufficient gauge wire from the positive battery terminal into the cabin through a grommet. *I was also installing an amplifier so this killed 2 birds.

The TBC output was a little more involved, but not difficult. I ran a proper gauge wire from the Ford/Redarc unit outside the cabinet underneath the truck, all the way back to my aftermarket 7-pin connector to the corresponding TBC output pin. Protected the wire with loom and secured it under the truck.

Once I came to grips that I didn't have the 4 wires, it actually wan't a hard install. I spent more time looking for those wires than I did running the new ones. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Why Ford decided to use the CHMSL as a sense, is beyond me, as the feed to it is accessible under the dash.
I will tell you why. The CHMSL is the only place to get the brake light signal with out splicing into a huge wiring harness or leaving the cab. Splicing would not be acceptable for warranty purposes. The extra lumen module is there to isolate and convert the signal to a 12v signal the TBC can use as the signal to the CHMSL is different depending if you have the LED or the halogen CHMSL assembly.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
The feed for the CMHSL is in the same bundle of wiring in the driver's side wiring trough, and it rather easy to get to. And splice? Gee, the kit supplies the devices to do exactly that—splice into two existing wires "you" separate from the under dash harness!!

And, if you install the TBC as suggested, you actually feed the wiring to the CHMSL in the same trough! Doing the splice under the dash saves about 2 hours of install time. Suit yourself, but not me!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I'm going to assume this truck doesn't have the automatic emergency braking based on trim level and you would leverage just the redarc controller direct from redarc. Without the automatic emergency braking system, you end up not using all of the ford bundled redarc kit and spending more money. If that is bad assumption, you can ignore this response.

The following article, though not ranger specific, covers the circuits you would need to create to make it all work. If you run the trailer charge and brake wires along the main harness, you could get the pins to integrate it at the harness plug where the rear bumper harness connects.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-brake-control-troubleshooting.aspx

I realize this doesn't get you all the details, but hopefully helps in the journey.
ALL new Rangers, and probably all new Fords have AEB, even the very base model XL.
Sponsored