Ranger Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Hello,

I would like to let everybody know what a great forum this is with tons of information and thank you all for posting.

I recently purchased a 2022 Ranger Tremor and love the way it handles on the road. During the test drive, I was unable to get to 60 mph because of the route that I was given to take and now looking back I wish I had drove it on the highway to get to higher speeds. Too late now. I’ve been experiencing the shaking, vibrating, shudder feeling from 55+ mph to a point where I’m sitting in a massage chair. I dropped it off to the dealer two days ago. I attempted to call the dealer and supposedly the advisor and/or tech was either on lunch or not there. Prior to dropping the truck offI performed a NVH test with my phone. I posted the results here. Just would like to get some feedback from people to see what your thoughts are. The analysis states a first order driveshaft speed related vibration. Thank you very much.

Steven

81B1687F-3144-493E-A355-8E0F34D2AE86.png

282DAE6E-3A70-4BF3-9DF6-E6372161584B.png
Sponsored

Attachments

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
If you do a little research on this forum, you will see that many complain about drive shaft vibrations. I think Ford has a TSB to correct these by adjusting pinion angle, but results are mixed.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

I would like to let everybody know what a great forum this is with tons of information and thank you all for posting.

I recently purchased a 2022 Ranger Tremor and love the way it handles on the road. During the test drive, I was unable to get to 60 mph because of the route that I was given to take and now looking back I wish I had drove it on the highway to get to higher speeds. Too late now. I’ve been experiencing the shaking, vibrating, shudder feeling from 55+ mph to a point where I’m sitting in a massage chair. I dropped it off to the dealer two days ago. I attempted to call the dealer and supposedly the advisor and/or tech was either on lunch or not there. Prior to dropping the truck offI performed a NVH test with my phone. I posted the results here. Just would like to get some feedback from people to see what your thoughts are. The analysis states a first order driveshaft speed related vibration. Thank you very much.

Steven

81B1687F-3144-493E-A355-8E0F34D2AE86.png

282DAE6E-3A70-4BF3-9DF6-E6372161584B.png
Hi Steven,

First order D/S indicates the driveshaft threw a balance weight, which I doubt. This is most likely tire/wheel balance. The dealership should have NVH equipment to track the Orders and home in on what is the issue... I would loosen up the center bearing strap, bounce the truck up and down by hand and tighten up the center bearing to ensure the driveshaft is not preloaded. Inspect the driveshaft for balance weights and possible missing weight. Does the vibration change when you change transmission gears say from 10th to 8th while keeping the vehicle speed the same.

You have collected data but the information contained in the data escapes me.. I have no idea what this data says. Not familliar with such graphs as above. Kinda messy to me...

Sad you are having high speed vibration. Good luck with the dealer diagnosis.

best,
Phil

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Hi Steven,

First order D/S indicates the driveshaft threw a balance weight, which I doubt. This is most likely tire/wheel balance. The dealership should have NVH equipment to track the Orders and home in on what is the issue... I would loosen up the center bearing strap, bounce the truck up and down by hand and tighten up the center bearing to ensure the driveshaft is not preloaded. Inspect the driveshaft for balance weights and possible missing weight. Does the vibration change when you change transmission gears say from 10th to 8th while keeping the vehicle speed the same.

You have collected data but the information contained in the data escapes me.. I have no idea what this data says. Not familliar with such graphs as above. Kinda messy to me...

Sad you are having high speed vibration. Good luck with the dealer diagnosis.

best,
Phil
Phil if you open the attachment, it has more information for ya

OP
OP

Ranger Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Phil,

Thank you for your reply. Here is the explanation of the graph.
1649881860820.png

The vibration stays pretty constant between 10th and 8th.

Steven

OP
OP

Ranger Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Here is a better view of the graph with the phone flipped sideways.
1649882904876.png

1649882931799.png

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil if you open the attachment, it has more information for ya
Hi Steve,

Thanks! Looks like there is a problem with 2nd order Engine Shaking forces which is an attribute of an inline 4 cylinder engine by design. Not sure what to make of the driveshaft numbers as that kind of vibration is quite uncommon. I would like to know the frequency of the vibration in this case, say at a steady 60mph and then maybe 70mph. Most driveline vibrations are 2nd order as the primary excitation are U joints...

Dealer NVH should be able to obtain the frequency as well as order of the driveshaft if it is the excitation source...

Best,
Phil

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
You said between 8th and 10th gears. How fast were you going and at what RPM? Lugging the engine will cause more NVH and this transmission in stock tune is notorious for going into too high a gear too soon and lugging the engine. This powertrain combo seems to be in it's smoothness sweet spot between 2000rpm and 2500rpm. It really is where this drivetrain should be geared to keep the engine at cruise, but it sadly is not. Try a tune, or better yet, before that drive around in tow mode to get a comparison.

OP
OP

Ranger Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
These were the steady state 60, 65, and 70MPH and RPM’s. So I received a call back from the dealer and it so happens that my vin number and a build date with certain number of vehicles from March 10 had a bad batch of front axles. Supposedly, this is a new TSB that came out? They are ordering me a revised front axle. Would that sound be transferred to the back?
1649890989867.png
1649891014392.png
1649891034103.png

Motherhubbard76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Just saw this post. My Tremor has this issue and was built on March 10th as well. . Drove it off the lot and something wasn't right. It was in the shop for two weeks and they replaced the front axle. Picked it up today Drives perfect now. As soon as they entered the info in the computer it came back with a TSB. It was undrivable over 52..
Sponsored