2022 Nissan Frontier

Phlfwd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
What’s everyone think about the 22 Frontier? Think it compares to or will compete with the Ranger at all? Has some features to it like 360 camera/moonroof with upgrades.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
After my brand new 2018 Frontier Pro4X POS edition, I'll stay far away.

Here it is making one of its MANY visits to the service department in the 6 months I owned it.

I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

31978787958_5f32276753_k.jpg

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I loved my 2012 Frontier SV 4x4! It took me to places it had no business going and always brought me back home. Many details and interior quality exceeded what is offered on the new Ranger today. But I needed the payload and towing capacity of the Ranger, pretty much excluded all others in the mid-size category.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Ah. Square/block front end. How original.:facepalm:

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I've only read good things about it. Everyone comments on how smooth it operates and how quiet the cab is. On paper, it will only be a few years until all the other trucks beat it and many do even now. Regardless, I will definitely be test driving an SV 4x4 and/or Pro-4x. Hopefully dealerships will stick to around MSRP.

OP
OP

Phlfwd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I loved my 2012 Frontier SV 4x4! It took me to places it had no business going and always brought me back home. Many details and interior quality exceeded what is offered on the new Ranger today. But I needed the payload and towing capacity of the Ranger, pretty much excluded all others in the mid-size category.
same! Had a 2012 as well and loved it - only traded it because it was getting up there in miles and losing trade in value.
my ordered 21 Ranger will be my first Ford ever and am looking forward to it a lot but that new Pro-4X is definitely eye catching IMO

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I'll never own another Nissan. Well not as long as they are owned by Renault . Who formed an alliance with Mitsubishi. Ever since then their quality and customer support has gone right into the crapper.

Had a 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V and I had to fight Nissan for months to repair it each and every time I took it in for any type of service. This was at every single dealership to. The front struts failed and blew out within the first 2000 miles and then took them 3 months to get replacements, failed 2nd -3rd gear trans synchronizer that it took 4 different dealerships to acknowledge and finally replace the transmission, to absolute shit paint where the clear coat started peeling off at 13 months (6K miles) and Nissan fought me for nearly a year before finally repainted it. The "approved" shop did a piss poor job on and looked worse than it did before and Nissan again refused to repaint it again.

Another thing is people think the 1080RE transmission is junk.. Wait till they see the Jatco JR913E 9 speed in action.. Or rather inaction. Jatco is well known for making some of the weakest most absolute crap transmissions in the industry.

Last edited:

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Bad experiences suck. My Ranger has been nothing but trouble for me, yet I know most ranger owners are not having any issues and love their trucks. I'm genuinely saddened by the quality of my ranger. It's my first new vehicle and I thought, surely, that it won't have any issues. I didn't even think to look for issues. But after 400 miles (now at 8000 on 2021 XLT 4x4) I realized that "something is wrong with my truck" and I'm not the only one. At this point, I don't feel there is any risk looking at a Nissan. Experiences vary. Sorry to hear there were some bad ones here! It's definitely not limited to any one brand. Hey at least the frontier has acoustic glass! Lol

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My Nissan Frontier experiences are at both extremes.

My 2011 Frontier was great which is why when it hit 200k I automatically went to another Frontier.

My 2018 (built after Nissan's acquisition by Renault) was a turd from day one with interior pieces falling off before I left the lot.

Maybe the new one will be better, but as long as Renault is involved I'll stay far away.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
I built one on their configurator last night. An SV only because I want a crewcab longbed. Built as close as the specs I wanted, it was around $42k but looks so plain. It’s definitely a pass for me.

I just hope the 2023 Ranger will be available in a SuperCrew/longbed configuration with a FX-4 package at a minimum (but prefer a Tremor). I want a light duty overland rig right from the factory (with full warranty).

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Surprised it doesn't come with a CVT.

Nissans have been soulless garbage for decades. I wouldn't drive one if somebody else paid for it.

A 20 year old Nissan, maybe.

My BIL has had 2 Nissan trucks. A Titan and an XD. The Titan was a thorough POS, and the XD is nothing special.

On top of that, in August of '20 I couldn't even find a 2020 on their lots to test drive, the new motor intrigued me. Doubtful it'll be ready for launch, just like the Bronco, and probably the Maverick.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I didn't realize their quality had suffered so much in recent years. If you had asked me 6 months ago my plan was to buy a new Frontier towards the end of 2022. But things changed and I am now in a "21 Ranger and it seems like that was the right choice!

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Here is CR reliability report based on actual data for those who are interested... I do own a Ford and it's not my first but I'm not married to the idea that they are somehow inherently better or worse than a Nissan nor should anyone else be. You guys have had luck it seems with your Rangers. Mine has been a total piece of crap. It doesn't mean I'm going to just dismiss an entire brand. We've had Fords in the family for a while now and I respect the brand a lot. I also respect what Nissan (which is not actually owned by Renault) is doing right now. Individual results may vary as they say. Not trying to stir the pot, just sharing the evidence.

CR-Most-Reliable-Brands-2021-CR.png
Sponsored