2021 SuperCab STX FX4 do-everything off-road build!

4x4AZ

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Land Surveyor
This is a slow build of my 2021 Ranger. I ordered it in June 2021 and picked it up upon delivery in September 2021. 6' bed supercab, Cactus Grey, 101A package, tow package, 110v inverter, FX4 off-road package, keypad, carpet delete, pretty much nothing else :) Currently just ticked past 13k miles. Wanted to document what I've done so far and what I'm planning to do in the future.

I am a big off-roader, and I do several "overland" trips yearly. My ultimate goal is to acquire a canopy shell to build an in-bed camping setup, maybe add some more lighting, make the suspension work better, and add more turbo noises.

Mods so far:
Ford OEM tri-fold cover - scored a new factory take off on CL for $450.
Spray-in bedliner - $500 i think. Was not a fan of the factory bedlining durability so I opted to have one done aftermarket.
FordRangerlifts 3" front leveling kit and 1/4" BORA front wheel spacer.
285/70/r17 BFGoodrich Ko2 (load range C). Would not buy these tires again, I had Falkens previously and they were a better tire in my opinion.
Huskyliners floor liners - Love these for dumping water out after poking around the woods.
Rokblokz Mud Flaps - These look great but I'm not in love with the mounting solution. Hard off-road use makes these come loose, I even had one fall off the truck on a trail once.
Rough Country Jeep Wrangler skid plate - Made for a Dana M220, bolts right on! :)
Diode Dynamics SS3 Amber Fog kit - These things rock. Dollar for dollar one of the best upgrades on the truck.
Raised "Ranger" letters on the tailgate
Custom painted factory tow hooks red
Red "Ranger" letters in the front grille
Stubby antenna from Amazon

Overall I really like the truck. My main issues at this point are the factory suspension and a lack of space for longer trips. Here's my plans to upgrade further:
Fox 2.0 Front coilovers & rear shocks - Have the rear shocks on order, waiting on $ for the front. From what I have read these are a pretty decent off-road suspension upgrade without dropping the money for Kings and deavers.
BDS 1" rear shackle kit - Also on order. Hoping this will keep the truck level fully loaded and add a bit of articulation. On hard terrain I hit bump stops more quickly than I would like.
SPC upper control arms - Better front articulation, corrected geometry, and as far as I can tell the SPC is the only option with the iron spindles.
Diode Dynamics ditch lights w/ white driving lights. Hoping to add some longer-distance lighting for bad weather and forest roads.
Readylift intrusion beams - My tires just barely rub at full lock on big bumps and in reverse.
Shrockworks skid plates - Factory FX4 plates are pretty trash.
Shrockworks sliders - These are more a want than a need but I would like them!
Mishimoto intercooler piping - Hoping to decrease turbo lag and add some sound to the truck this way.
Tremor Flares - I like how these look and I don't want to add a lot of offset so I think these would be a good option. They should also work with my existing mud flaps.
CB radio - I have a Uniden 520XL with a Firestik from my last rig I'd like to install.
And the camping setup plan: I'm planning to order an ARE DCU aluminum contractor canopy that's about ~3" above cab height. With this, I will build a wooden sleeping and gear platform in the back.

It will be a slow build for sure, but I'm hoping to make significant strides this year!

Check the video below to see the truck in action in Moab this spring. I've also attached some pics of the truck at various points along the way since I've owned it.

WVOX4082.JPG

DIYI7463.JPG
Sponsored

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
Nice truck. I 100 percent agree on the dd fog lights, they are incredible! Icon makes UCA for cast iron spindles btw. Look forward to hearing and seeing more.
Sponsored