2021 Ranger, Sync 3, subscription clarity please.

JimInVA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2121 Ranger Lariat/SCab/4x2, Took 8.5 months wait
Occupation
Retired Military
I tried, I really tried to follow another thread related to this and at my age and creeping up on senility, I just want to cut to the chase.

In the other thread there were comments about subscriptions, refrigerators, Bronco's and so on.

I just want to know if I do manage to get this Sync 3 working, am I going to get hit in 3 months, 3 years or some other period with regular fee for usage? Also, I know I am not paying to listen to Howard Stern or whatever on Sirus Radio when I may drive 4000 miles a year at most.

I saw the detail about Android collecting speed and other data, I can live with that if the darn thing works with hands free operation. Otherwise, I can't see any reason not to do the effort to figure out another interface learning to use the system.

Sticking with the installed features of Sync 3, anything else I need to know up front to use with late model Samsung on T-Mobile. Thanks for the patience with me on this. I know buried in the other threads the detail is there. It may be in this 480 page manual I spent an hour trying to discern as well. If I could have found it there, I'd not have started this thread.
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Sync 3 does not require any subscriptions to function.

If you want to use Android Auto, then you will need to set your phone up to communicate with the Sync 3 head unit. Get yourself a decent USB cable that can live in your truck, plug it in, and set it up. I also connect my phone to the truck via Bluetooth for the short trips where I don't want to plug the phone in.

It doesn't give the nav functions or the streaming music options when connected via bluetooth, but it does still do handsfree calling and such.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Are talking about Android Auto, the app that pops up when you plug your phone in? Or just the bluetooth wireless connection? My Android Auto never stays working for much longer than a half hour. When it works its pretty easy to use, but when it disconnects itself, all you have is the bluetooth connection. You can still make and answer calls handsfree. I think SiriusXM will automatically stop working after 6 months if you don't sign up.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The best thing to do is get a USB cord, plug one end into the truck, plug the other end into your phone, android auto prompts will start automatically and you'll never use the Sync3 interface again.

From Android auto I can run Google maps, Spotify, Gaia GPS, Google voice for hands free texting and calling, etc.. I hardly ever touch the screen except to flip between google maps and spotify. AC can be controlled with the buttons below the screen.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
If you want to use Android Auto, then you will need to set your phone up to communicate with the Sync 3 head unit. Get yourself a decent USB cable that can live in your truck, plug it in, and set it up.
I didn't do any set up, I just plugged it in and AA just started on its own.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Are talking about Android Auto, the app that pops up when you plug your phone in? Or just the bluetooth wireless connection? My Android Auto never stays working for much longer than a half hour. When it works its pretty easy to use, but when it disconnects itself, all you have is the bluetooth connection. You can still make and answer calls handsfree. I think SiriusXM will automatically stop working after 6 months if you don't sign up.
2 things I always check when AA starts behaving fussy. First, I make sure the USB port on my phone isn't full of pocket lint and dirt. that happens very easily. clean it out.

second is to check my usb cord. cheap usb cords fail quickly. better ones last longer before they die.

when I keep these two things in check, AA works reliably for as long as I'm in the truck.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
2 things I always check when AA starts behaving fussy. First, I make sure the USB port on my phone isn't full of pocket lint and dirt. that happens very easily. clean it out.

second is to check my usb cord. cheap usb cords fail quickly. better ones last longer before they die.

when I keep these two things in check, AA works reliably for as long as I'm in the truck.
@got3fords This guy got it right. The app itself rarely fails and it is often an issue with the USB cord.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Jim, you sound like me. However, it's not so difficult when the light in your mind finally comes on. I used to get my neighbors 12 year old to help me out, as you know kids these days have grown up with the new electronics. But they up and moved, and took the little bugger with them. How rude........

Also, I see you're in Virginia. If you are like me you have a southern accent that dang SYNC lady just can't seem to understand me sometimes. So, I have to try as I might to smooth the accent out a bit. That seems to help.

As others have said get a quality USB cable. Plug it in the phone and the truck to use google maps, and Pandora for the best results. Past that I'm useless to you. Good luck.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
@got3fords This guy got it right. The app itself rarely fails and it is often an issue with the USB cord.
I just went through all that, even bought a new cable. No dice. It acts the same on 3 different cables. The new one was definitely rated for data. I even tried a really short one with a ferrite filter. I looked at the phone connection under a microscope. Clean as a whistle.
Maybe it's my phone. It's an LG.

Last edited:

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Also, I see you're in Virginia. If you are like me you have a southern accent that dang SYNC lady just can't seem to understand me sometimes. So, I have to try as I might to smooth the accent out a bit. That seems to help.
I am actually a transplant from Ohio. We had our own weird accent.

OP
OP
JimInVA

JimInVA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2121 Ranger Lariat/SCab/4x2, Took 8.5 months wait
Occupation
Retired Military
I have to thank all you guys for those comments. Yeah, my 13 year old granddaughter arrives today and I will just let her loose on it. lol

My phone is a newer one and has that newer USB connector. It is really fast charging and I suspect same with data.

Thanks again guys.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I just went through all that, even bought a new cable. No dice. It acts the same on 3 different cables. The new one was definitely rated for data. I even tried a really short one with a ferrite filter. I looked at the phone connection under a microscope. Clean as a whistle.
Maybe it's my phone. It's an LG.
I don't bother looking. I get a sharp pin to dig the gunk out. All the dirt gets compacted in there and it takes some scratching to get it to start coming out. I usually feel the connection with the cord get less secure when this needs to be done, but I know what to look for now that I've gone through the process a few times.

If you put your phone in your pocket, this is a lot more likely than it being anything else.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I don't bother looking. I get a sharp pin to dig the gunk out. All the dirt gets compacted in there and it takes some scratching to get it to start coming out. I usually feel the connection with the cord get less secure when this needs to be done, but I know what to look for now that I've gone through the process a few times.

If you put your phone in your pocket, this is a lot more likely than it being anything else.
No, rarely goes in pocket. With a microscope you can clearly see any possible crap. We have several at work.

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT , 2001 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Engineer, Student
No, rarely goes in pocket. With a microscope you can clearly see any possible crap. We have several at work.
I will say I've tried 3 phones on my truck, an LG v40 and recently an Samsung s10 have worked for extended periods without issue, but an old moto x4 would disconnect after 20 minutes or so, all with the same cable.

Only thing I can think of is somehow AA is crashing on the X4
Sponsored