First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I have searched and looked at other threads, so sorry for posting another.

I have the OEM running boards, but they seem to be tucked in too far and I end up just stepping over them when getting out and rubbing my leg on them, eventually just getting dirty once I've driven it long enough to get them dirty. :)

Thinking I will upgrade, but curious what other options that will provide a bit better 'step' up?
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Stock is fairly large, you need to start making a conscious effort to use what is there and step on them.

I swapped out my Ford boards for ShrockWorks sliders because I like slider protection and they function as side steps too. And they are long enough for the bed access.

$1000 and 78 lbs each side.

60CC92E0-020D-4524-B03E-648F2A43E3ED.jpeg

298FF049-F559-420E-8073-C733093B001A.jpeg

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Fair enough, and you're right. I should try to use what I have and get used to it.

$1000 is a large pill to swallow and probably not as far as I'm willing to go, but the extra step for bed access is nice.

Thank you for the advise and information. So, my follow up question would be, do any other options offer a better step platform, or are they all just different shapes of the same 'footprint' size, so to speak?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Fair enough, and you're right. I should try to use what I have and get used to it.

$1000 is a large pill to swallow and probably not as far as I'm willing to go, but the extra step for bed access is nice.

Thank you for the advise and information. So, my follow up question would be, do any other options offer a better step platform, or are they all just different shapes of the same 'footprint' size, so to speak?
Being in a Scab myself I have factory boards. In the beginning I thought to myself they were on the narrow side. Then I figured out side step in instead of toe on works way better. Cost of replacing is steep so I would rather invest in other more useful costly mods. Now if I were off-roading more then the rock sliders make more sense.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Tom, I agree with Joe @Megawatt. Try to make a conscious effort to get your foot on the board when you exit. I have a set of aftermarket on my Super Cab, and they don't sit any further out than the factory ones. I just pay attention to where I put my big ol' dumb foot when getting out. :)

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
Stock is fairly large, you need to start making a conscious effort to use what is there and step on them.

I swapped out my Ford boards for ShrockWorks sliders because I like slider protection and they function as side steps too. And they are long enough for the bed access.

$1000 and 78 lbs each side.

60CC92E0-020D-4524-B03E-648F2A43E3ED.jpeg

298FF049-F559-420E-8073-C733093B001A.jpeg
Very nice, is that the black or textured black option?

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Can you actually use ShrockWorks sliders as a step up to the bed . It looks narrow. Don't you worry about marring the paint on the truck. I like the RRW sliders for the built in bed step. I may modify the Shrock sliders to have a larger step at the back.

DSC09961_5000x.jpg

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Can you actually use ShrockWorks sliders as a step up to the bed . It looks narrow. Don't you worry about marring the paint on the truck. I like the RRW sliders for the built in bed step. I may modify the Shrock sliders to have a larger step at the back.

DSC09961_5000x.jpg
I looked at the RRW's before I bought my Shrockworks Sliders. The RRW's stick out too far, IMO.

Get a shot of those from the rear and they look like you installed training wheels on your Ranger. ;)

To your point, yes you can use the Shrockworks Sliders to access the bed, and yes you have to be cautious not to bang your foot into the truck or rub your clothing on the side of the bed when doing so. If I need to get in the side of the bed.... I grab the side rails with both hands and step up into the bed using the rear tires as steps.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Can you actually use ShrockWorks sliders as a step up to the bed . It looks narrow. Don't you worry about marring the paint on the truck. I like the RRW sliders for the built in bed step.....
I step on the slider, I access the bed so yes I can actually use it. It’s a truck, I don’t worry about marring (hasn’t yet). if I had 6” wide boards I would manage to mar the paint at some time.

Narrow, sure. Almost as wide as stock lightweight running boards. But it’s a slider, not meant to be sticking out like a diving board. I am sure there are wider steps. The round tubing is 1.75” so it gives and idea of the size of the width. These are sliders built to support the vehicle weight on a rock. They are not wide boards. Stepping surface just under 4 inches wide.

Hope this helps.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
In regard to usable space for stepping I took these photo's a while back for another member.

Size 12 hiking boot..

Composite.jpg

002.JPG

003.JPG

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Great pics, thanks. I actually made an effort today using my stock boards, and I used the recommend 'side step' onto the board, and it worked much better. Just need to train my brain to keep using it.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Great pics, thanks. I actually made an effort today using my stock boards, and I used the recommend 'side step' onto the board, and it worked much better. Just need to train my brain to keep using it.
Think of it more as getting on a bike, and not like climbing a ladder ;)

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient

DSC09961_5000x.jpg
I actually like that step at the rear, but don't see it on their website. The Ford factory Ranger running boards... don't go that far back, so no functionality for the bed.
Sponsored

Last edited: