2020 Shifter Lights (lack there of)

jerardisflossin

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
I was driving last night and noticed my shifter selector didn't have the drive modes Illuminated. Thought it was bad or broken but decided to research. Found out there are MY differences and some mentioned the 20s didnt get that. Has anyone swapped one in?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was driving last night and noticed my shifter selector didn't have the drive modes Illuminated. Thought it was bad or broken but decided to research. Found out there are MY differences and some mentioned the 20s didnt get that. Has anyone swapped one in?
It was already discussed here. Looks like the 2020's got hosed and they don't light up. What's the need for them anyways, just pull back once for R and three times for D and four times for Fun mode. I never noticed after 15 months of driving mine until this came up.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...elector-illuminate-at-night-2020-lariat.9636/

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
To be clear, it never lit up what gear you were in. That shows up on the dash. So the only reason to need the letters next to the lever to light up is if you're driving it for the very first time, and it happens to be dark, so you don't know that your 2020 car has a PRND shift pattern and you haven't time warped into the 50's when it was still legal to have PNDR or anything other than PRND.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Probably wouldn't be too hard to add some stick on LED strips down there.
I never even looked down there to notice if it had lights until it was pointed out on here. No need when the gear indicator is on the gauge cluster right in front of me. My 2020 still has the lights BTW

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Probably wouldn't be too hard to add some stick on LED strips down there.
I never even looked down there to notice if it had lights until it was pointed out on here. No need when the gear indicator is on the gauge cluster right in front of me. My 2020 still has the lights BTW
This came up in the other thread. It was a running change for MY20. I believe trucks built after 7/11/20 had the shifter illumination deleted.

My '20 built 12/19 has the shifter illumination.

canigetadollar?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Fun Haver
My 2019 Lariat does not have shifter illumination.

OP
OP

jerardisflossin

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
It was already discussed here. Looks like the 2020's got hosed and they don't light up. What's the need for them anyways, just pull back once for R and three times for D and four times for Fun mode. I never noticed after 15 months of driving mine until this came up.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...elector-illuminate-at-night-2020-lariat.9636/
Its really only a OCD thing for me. Since every other item is Illuminated, its out of place. Just a personal tick of mine.

OP
OP

jerardisflossin

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
This came up in the other thread. It was a running change for MY20. I believe trucks built after 7/11/20 had the shifter illumination deleted.

My '20 built 12/19 has the shifter illumination.
Mine was built on 7/2 so maybe they just started throwing whatever was in the parts bin on trucks haha.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I threw the little console tray out that came with MY 2019 but I hope my gear selector light always illuminates, this thread has give me a greater appreciation for all those green glowing interior lights, but do recall renting a Ford Fusion some yrs back and was impressed that I had the capability of changing the color of the interior lighting - which I did numerous times.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If it makes you feel better my 2019 doesnt light up the shift indicator on the center console either. Does it concern me? Not really. If anything it is one less distraction to worry about.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
So, 2019 Lariat has console shift lit up, but does not show what gear it's in. is this normal?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So, 2019 Lariat has console shift lit up, but does not show what gear it's in. is this normal?
Yes it's normal. If you push the + button once on the side of the shifter you'll see the numbers (gears) on the lower right side on the main dash cluster.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
To be clear, it never lit up what gear you were in. That shows up on the dash. So the only reason to need the letters next to the lever to light up is if you're driving it for the very first time, and it happens to be dark, so you don't know that your 2020 car has a PRND shift pattern and you haven't time warped into the 50's when it was still legal to have PNDR or anything other than PRND.
or it looked like this:
1613089013067.png

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
or it looked like this:
1613089013067.png
Just to clarify, that's a 1963 Ford Thunderbird which came with the infamous Cruise-o-matic FMX transmission. You would want to drive that in normal conditions in the "white dot" gear which actually started in 2nd gear. Alternatively, if transmission life was not a concern, you could daily drive in the green dot which would start in 1st gear and proceed through all 3 forward gears for operation. That being said, the final drive on those were so bad that you lost so many revs between 1 and 2, that it would essentially grenade the transmission in a few years of gentle use. "L" would start the car in 1st gear but locked out 3rd gear so it had to be avoided if you planned on going over about 45 mph.

You're probably better off using the 1961-1962 Thunderbird detent as your example as it clearly listed the drive options, assuming you understood the transmission design.

Ironically, neither '63 or the '61-'62 are a great choice as the detent plate easily wore out causing the selection bar to sit half way between gears with little to no feedback so you genuinely had no clue what gear you were in without observing it very closely and being VERY careful when driving not to bump the shifter stalk as you could easily go from D into R at speed.

I'll leave all mentions of the "swing-Away" steering wheel which was yet another detent to the left of Park (no visible markings on any year) which allowed the steering wheel to shift about 6" to the right, thus allowing pregnant women behind the wheel easier. Both images show the vanity panel which covers that operation. It was a high take-rate option in '61 and standard in '62-'63.

ebaybird[1].jpg

Anyway, where I was going with this is that your characterization is completely off regarding 1950's cars as there was a vast array of gear selector options by manufacturer or make as vehicles were slowly becoming more streamlined and individual randomization was engineered out of cars by the early 60's and mostly standardized by the mid 70's.

Examples of such strange configurations in the 1950's:

DSCN3785[1].jpg

download.jpg

images.jpg
Sponsored