2020 Ranger Safety Recall (20S18) - Gearshift Cable Clip

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Ford Motor Company Issues Safety Recall for Select 2020 Ford Ranger, F-150 and Expedition Vehicles

DEARBORN, Mich., April 7, 2020 – Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety recall for select 2020 vehicles. They include 2020 Ford Ranger and 2020 F-150 vehicles with 10-speed automatic transmission and 2020 Expedition vehicles with the police package and 10-speed automatic transmission. Units equipped with a rotary gearshift dial are not affected.

In affected vehicles, a clip that locks the gearshift cable to the transmission may not be fully seated. Over time, a partially seated clip may allow the transmission to be in a gear state different from the gearshift position selected by the driver. This could allow the driver to move the shifter to Park and remove the ignition key, without the transmission gear actually being in Park. If the parking brake is not applied in those cases, the vehicle could move unintentionally, increasing the risk of injury or crash.

Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition.

This action affects 55,158 vehicles in the United States and federal territories, 12,090 in Canada and 681 in Mexico.

Affected vehicles include:
  • 2020 Ford Ranger vehicles built at Michigan Assembly Plant from Feb. 28 to March 18, 2020
  • 2020 Ford F-150 vehicles built at Dearborn Truck Plant from Feb. 18 to March 19, 2020, and Kansas City Assembly Plant from Feb. 21 to March 19, 2020
  • 2020 Ford Expedition vehicles built at Kentucky Truck Plant from March 3 to 19, 2020.
Dealers will inspect the shift cable locking clip and properly seat it as needed. The Ford reference number for this recall is 20S18.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford.../ford-motor-company-issues-safety-recall.html
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This is the same one they had for the 2019 rangers last year.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If anyone is needing to get this recall done because their vehicle applies it's quite simple. Most Ford dealers are needing as much work as I can get anyways so go ahead and take your vehicle in if it applies or if you have any other recalls. The dealer I work at just had one Ranger come in from the lot for this recall and it took 15 minutes tops. It's a real simple procedure.

07XLT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger XLT 2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone is needing to get this recall done because their vehicle applies it's quite simple. Most Ford dealers are needing as much work as I can get anyways so go ahead and take your vehicle in if it applies or if you have any other recalls. The dealer I work at just had one Ranger come in from the lot for this recall and it took 15 minutes tops. It's a real simple procedure.
Thanks for that tip. My build date was Feb 25, 3 days before the supposed Feb 28 date but if the 2019s had this too I may as well have it checked out.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
All you have to do is contact your local dealer. Give them your VIN number and they will be able to check to see if you have a recall. Thankfully my 2019 Ranger doesn't have any recalls including the tail light recall that's going on. No sense in going into the dealer if it's a far drive away and if you don't have any recalls.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is the dealer check any more thorough than the checks from nhtsa? https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Honestly I don't know. The one advantage that for does when they have the event put in is they have all the information about any ethical tsb's and recalls. Other sites might not have the specific details. A great example is the old 2016 Frontier I used to have I will keep getting notifications for a recall on it. The funny thing is it didn't have any recalls because it did not meet the particular timestamp.

07XLT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ranger XLT 2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer indicated my feb 25 built Ranger is not included currently. The nhtsa site agrees for now

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My dealer indicated my feb 25 built Ranger is not included currently. The nhtsa site agrees for now
As long as things aren't showing up for your vehicles and you should be fine. If you were to be very curious and questionable about it you can send me a message and I can check the VIN. The wonderful joys of having access to the Fort websites.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
As long as things aren't showing up for your vehicles and you should be fine. If you were to be very curious and questionable about it you can send me a message and I can check the VIN. The wonderful joys of having access to the Fort websites.
I'm curious about a few things - I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

Kevarmy79

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Ford Motor Company Issues Safety Recall for Select 2020 Ford Ranger, F-150 and Expedition Vehicles

DEARBORN, Mich., April 7, 2020 – Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety recall for select 2020 vehicles. They include 2020 Ford Ranger and 2020 F-150 vehicles with 10-speed automatic transmission and 2020 Expedition vehicles with the police package and 10-speed automatic transmission. Units equipped with a rotary gearshift dial are not affected.

In affected vehicles, a clip that locks the gearshift cable to the transmission may not be fully seated. Over time, a partially seated clip may allow the transmission to be in a gear state different from the gearshift position selected by the driver. This could allow the driver to move the shifter to Park and remove the ignition key, without the transmission gear actually being in Park. If the parking brake is not applied in those cases, the vehicle could move unintentionally, increasing the risk of injury or crash.

Ford is not aware of any reports of accident or injury related to this condition.

This action affects 55,158 vehicles in the United States and federal territories, 12,090 in Canada and 681 in Mexico.

Affected vehicles include:
  • 2020 Ford Ranger vehicles built at Michigan Assembly Plant from Feb. 28 to March 18, 2020
  • 2020 Ford F-150 vehicles built at Dearborn Truck Plant from Feb. 18 to March 19, 2020, and Kansas City Assembly Plant from Feb. 21 to March 19, 2020
  • 2020 Ford Expedition vehicles built at Kentucky Truck Plant from March 3 to 19, 2020.
Dealers will inspect the shift cable locking clip and properly seat it as needed. The Ford reference number for this recall is 20S18.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford.../ford-motor-company-issues-safety-recall.html
My Oct 2nd, 2019, built Ranger XLT has rolled away 11 times after I have shifted the vehicle into park and walked away. I got the truck on Oct 31, and have reported each time to the dealership and to Ford Mo Co. I also have witnesses that have seen this happen. The dealership refuses to fix the truck, they have repeatedly told me I'm lying and have banned me. Luther Family Ford in Fargo ND. I went to another dealership, Stoudt Ross Ford in Valley City ND, and they also refuse to fix it. They did, however, cut one of the wires to the marker lights and said that would help eliminate the problems with the safety warnings constantly showing up on the dash.I get constant warnings on the dash about crash detected, pre-collision warnings, repair advancetrac warning, hill assist failure warnings and more. I don't know how cutting wires to the marker lights on the fenders is going to eliminate any of that since the warning systems are all on completely different circuits that the marker lights. The dealerships and Ford tell me I can have the transmission looked at, but since the recall isn't for my vin I'll have to pay out of pocket. It's a brand new truck and Ford must know it's crap if they won't honor the warranty on something they are recalling thousands of other vehicles for.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My Oct 2nd, 2019, built Ranger XLT has rolled away 11 times after I have shifted the vehicle into park and walked away. I got the truck on Oct 31, and have reported each time to the dealership and to Ford Mo Co. I also have witnesses that have seen this happen. The dealership refuses to fix the truck, they have repeatedly told me I'm lying and have banned me. Luther Family Ford in Fargo ND. I went to another dealership, Stoudt Ross Ford in Valley City ND, and they also refuse to fix it. They did, however, cut one of the wires to the marker lights and said that would help eliminate the problems with the safety warnings constantly showing up on the dash.I get constant warnings on the dash about crash detected, pre-collision warnings, repair advancetrac warning, hill assist failure warnings and more. I don't know how cutting wires to the marker lights on the fenders is going to eliminate any of that since the warning systems are all on completely different circuits that the marker lights. The dealerships and Ford tell me I can have the transmission looked at, but since the recall isn't for my vin I'll have to pay out of pocket. It's a brand new truck and Ford must know it's crap if they won't honor the warranty on something they are recalling thousands of other vehicles for.
Soinds like hour area has nothong but shitty dealerships.......

Kevarmy79

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Soinds like hour area has nothong but shitty dealerships.......
They have all gotten pretty bad around Fargo. If I ever get another Ford I'm going down to Houston for it. The lower prices and better service are worth the drive.
Sponsored