Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Project Manager
Hello Folks,
In September 2020 I bought a new Ford F150 Ranger
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 4 Dr, 4WD, Supercrew, 5 foot bed, with the tow package. I bought it because I need the utility of a truck with the versatility of having a city driver that's not too difficult to park in tight spaces. I downsized from an F-350 Super Duty that I used to pull my big 26 foot Travel Trailer but also had to use as a city commuter. I sold me big Winnebago RV and bought a much smaller 2000LBS HELIO O3 RV and paired it with the new Ranger. I wanted to report some observations of the truck and the trailer in case there are others out there considering the same configuration.

First and foremost, I will say on a score of 1-10 (all things considered) I would give this truck a 10. It handles very well, accelerates nicely, and pulls a light duty load without any issues. I do mostly city driving as a city commuter and I average 21MPG with gentle city driving. I don't do jack rabbit starts, I usually drive the speed limit, and I coast down hills when I can (if there's nobody behind me). I also have installed a folding, hard-cover tonneau cover.

I currently have a HELIO O3 RV which I tow using a CURT wireless brake controller and a drop down hitch. I settled on a 10 inch drop aluminum hitch. The tongue weight on my HELIO is about 150 pounds. The CURT wireless brake controller works well and does the job without having the added expense of installing an after market in dash brake controller. After I had about 1000 miles on the odometer of city driving I towed my 2000 pound RV from Seattle to Yellowstone National Park and crossed about 6 mountain ranges round trip. The truck performed flawlessly and I didn't even feel the trailer behind me. I accelerated gently and stayed in the right lane on the highway and followed the speed limits. I never exceeded 65MPH while towing (even when I felt it would have been OK to go 80 in Montana). When I had to pass, I made sure I had plenty of room and power to do so, and I passed gently to avoid trailer sway. I averaged about 17MPG while towing, far better than my 9MPG I would average with the F350 Diesel pulling a 6500 pound trailer.

Road noise was minimal, comfort was excellent inside the cab, fuel economy was excellent, handling was excellent. I had the back of the truck loaded with equipment (coolers, gear, tools, etc). I probably had about 500 pounds of gear in the bed.

My only complaint so far about the truck is that the fuel door sometimes is difficult to close and when fueling, the fuel nozzle has to be oriented just right or it will kick back and stop. The neck of the fuel fill is configured in such a way as to only allow the fuel nozzle to be inserted in a specific angle configuration. This isn't a big deal, it just concerns me a bit that the fuel door is so easy to access and open.

I didn't always use the tow mode because at first I had trouble discovering exactly what it did but after reading up on it I will probably use it next time I tow. We recently had snow and ice in Seattle and the truck performed well in the snow. I engaged 4 low a few times to get up some steep snowy hills and it did great.

All in all I am very pleased with the way the Ranger has performed. I also like that it is a mid sized truck and is a great solution for someone who has light duty towing requirements combined with an all around city driver. I like the electronics and safety features of the truck too including lane departure and blind spot warnings.

Thought I'd share this with the forum for what it's worth. I am very pleased with this truck and I look forward to driving it. I leased this truck because I want to see what is available in 3 years time since I am very interested in electric trucks with increased torque in the future. In three years I can just turn this truck back in and upgrade to a model with more technology and perhaps even an electric offering. If that's not available in three years, I'll just keep the truck.

Thoughts?

Red
Sponsored

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Great info. I'm picking up a 1600lbs teardrop style camper, Rustic trail Kodiak, next week and am looking forward to how this truck handles it. It's about the same size as that Helio O2 model. Nice to know that mileage is still respectable. How did the crosswinds treat you? I think that is my biggest concern, even with a smaller trailer.

My old '87 with it's 2.9L and 5k towing pulled my 3100lb boat like a champ for 100k miles before retirement, but man did you know it was back there power wise. 12mpg all day long with it, even at 60-65mph. With electric brakes on the trailer the little truck had no trouble though. The new truck laughed at it before i sold the boat. But that boat was LOW & WIDE and super stable towing.

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
What are you using for weight distribution and sway control ? Any experience with electronic trailer sway control on your trip ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Folks,
In September 2020 I bought a new Ford F150 Ranger
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 4 Dr, 4WD, Supercrew, 5 foot bed, with the tow package. I bought it because I need the utility of a truck with the versatility of having a city driver that's not too difficult to park in tight spaces. I downsized from an F-350 Super Duty that I used to pull my big 26 foot Travel Trailer but also had to use as a city commuter. I sold me big Winnebago RV and bought a much smaller 2000LBS HELIO O3 RV and paired it with the new Ranger. I wanted to report some observations of the truck and the trailer in case there are others out there considering the same configuration.

First and foremost, I will say on a score of 1-10 (all things considered) I would give this truck a 10. It handles very well, accelerates nicely, and pulls a light duty load without any issues. I do mostly city driving as a city commuter and I average 21MPG with gentle city driving. I don't do jack rabbit starts, I usually drive the speed limit, and I coast down hills when I can (if there's nobody behind me). I also have installed a folding, hard-cover tonneau cover.

I currently have a HELIO O3 RV which I tow using a CURT wireless brake controller and a drop down hitch. I settled on a 10 inch drop aluminum hitch. The tongue weight on my HELIO is about 150 pounds. The CURT wireless brake controller works well and does the job without having the added expense of installing an after market in dash brake controller. After I had about 1000 miles on the odometer of city driving I towed my 2000 pound RV from Seattle to Yellowstone National Park and crossed about 6 mountain ranges round trip. The truck performed flawlessly and I didn't even feel the trailer behind me. I accelerated gently and stayed in the right lane on the highway and followed the speed limits. I never exceeded 65MPH while towing (even when I felt it would have been OK to go 80 in Montana). When I had to pass, I made sure I had plenty of room and power to do so, and I passed gently to avoid trailer sway. I averaged about 17MPG while towing, far better than my 9MPG I would average with the F350 Diesel pulling a 6500 pound trailer.

Road noise was minimal, comfort was excellent inside the cab, fuel economy was excellent, handling was excellent. I had the back of the truck loaded with equipment (coolers, gear, tools, etc). I probably had about 500 pounds of gear in the bed.

My only complaint so far about the truck is that the fuel door sometimes is difficult to close and when fueling, the fuel nozzle has to be oriented just right or it will kick back and stop. The neck of the fuel fill is configured in such a way as to only allow the fuel nozzle to be inserted in a specific angle configuration. This isn't a big deal, it just concerns me a bit that the fuel door is so easy to access and open.

I didn't always use the tow mode because at first I had trouble discovering exactly what it did but after reading up on it I will probably use it next time I tow. We recently had snow and ice in Seattle and the truck performed well in the snow. I engaged 4 low a few times to get up some steep snowy hills and it did great.

All in all I am very pleased with the way the Ranger has performed. I also like that it is a mid sized truck and is a great solution for someone who has light duty towing requirements combined with an all around city driver. I like the electronics and safety features of the truck too including lane departure and blind spot warnings.

Thought I'd share this with the forum for what it's worth. I am very pleased with this truck and I look forward to driving it. I leased this truck because I want to see what is available in 3 years time since I am very interested in electric trucks with increased torque in the future. In three years I can just turn this truck back in and upgrade to a model with more technology and perhaps even an electric offering. If that's not available in three years, I'll just keep the truck.

Thoughts?

Red
Hi Red,

My take is that the Ranger suits your needs and does it in superb fashion.
That is great news and I hope the Ranger performs up to its heritage from its humble beginnings in 1982½.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
SeattleJohnC

SeattleJohnC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Project Manager
What are you using for weight distribution and sway control ? Any experience with electronic trailer sway control on your trip ?
I'm not using anything for sway control. My trailer is light and I take lane changes VERY slowly regardless. My truck has an anti sway technology in it, don't know how effective it is but I keep the front of my trailer loaded lightly and take it slow when passing. I don't give her the opportunity to sway or get out of control.

Reactions: EJH

OP
OP
SeattleJohnC

SeattleJohnC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Project Manager
Great info. I'm picking up a 1600lbs teardrop style camper, Rustic trail Kodiak, next week and am looking forward to how this truck handles it. It's about the same size as that Helio O2 model. Nice to know that mileage is still respectable. How did the crosswinds treat you? I think that is my biggest concern, even with a smaller trailer.

My old '87 with it's 2.9L and 5k towing pulled my 3100lb boat like a champ for 100k miles before retirement, but man did you know it was back there power wise. 12mpg all day long with it, even at 60-65mph. With electric brakes on the trailer the little truck had no trouble though. The new truck laughed at it before i sold the boat. But that boat was LOW & WIDE and super stable towing.
I didn't have any issues with crosswinds but having said that.....I didn't encounter any strong crosswinds. Hopefully, she'll hold steady. I usually drive in the right lane and always stay right at the posted speed limit except in Montana, where I drive SLOWER than the posted highway limit of 85 but I stay in the slow lane and allow others to pass me. I don't want to be the guy driving too slow in the fast lane!

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Just got back from picking up my little camper. Overall good impressions from the experience. Camper checks in at 1525lbs completely dry.

The truck didn't care one bit that it was towing the camper. That's on par with my utility trailer experience. Power is completely unchanged. I stayed at 70mph, up to 75 to pass some, and returned 19mpg with camper (25mpg on the drive up at 70mph). Braking was great after I got the trailer brakes in the sweet spot.

My only issue was the kangaroo effect of the truck. It would bounce up and down in the rear almost like a washboard/trampoline at times. The trailer is level, proper drop hitch, about 150-160lbs tongue weight I believe. I have to chalk it up to an unloaded truck with an unloaded trailer and the balance wasn't correct across them. Once we get some gear in it and camp this weekend as a test (rain and sun so we'll see) I can find a balance.

IMG_20210312_134658.jpg

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
Just got back from picking up my little camper. Overall good impressions from the experience. Camper checks in at 1525lbs completely dry.

The truck didn't care one bit that it was towing the camper. That's on par with my utility trailer experience. Power is completely unchanged. I stayed at 70mph, up to 75 to pass some, and returned 19mpg with camper (25mpg on the drive up at 70mph). Braking was great after I got the trailer brakes in the sweet spot.

My only issue was the kangaroo effect of the truck. It would bounce up and down in the rear almost like a washboard/trampoline at times. The trailer is level, proper drop hitch, about 150-160lbs tongue weight I believe. I have to chalk it up to an unloaded truck with an unloaded trailer and the balance wasn't correct across them. Once we get some gear in it and camp this weekend as a test (rain and sun so we'll see) I can find a balance.

IMG_20210312_134658.jpg
Nice rig!
Eibach pro truck shocks on the rear of mine helped tremendously!

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
We have a 2020 Fx4 Xlt super crew and tow a Coleman 18RB 18 footer (21 ft overall). 3100 dry weight, 4000 or so loaded. Use no special hitch or sway control. Could not ask the truck to do any better.
Sponsored