Sponsored

2020 Bronco Webcast/Webisode

99Discovery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Discovery 2, 07 Hummer H3, 03 Range Rover
Well, my cousin and I put together a webisode discussing what we could gleaned from the Ford sheet photo and Michael Clark's excellent render.

There really isn't anything new that die hard fans don't already know, but we hoped the episode would be more enjoyable than robo-voice slideshows that seem to dominate 2020 Bronco vids.

All I can say is I'm stoked to see what the end result is, and hope it lives up to the hype!

Sponsored

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OP
OP

99Discovery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! This was actually the first portion of a recording my cousin and I made that was about 2 hours long which we are splitting into 2-5 episodes. My cousin runs a podcast, so he is comfortable behind the microphone, but I still had to figure things out. So I put the Bronco piece off because it was heavily edited. As I was making it, I wish I had focused more on the actual off-road potential of the Bronco....we had a lot of fun stories about Moab, but not many videos to put with it, so I had to cut them.

Oh well, hopefully later ones will be better, but there probably won't be much to say about the Bronco until we get further reveals.

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah...it'll be great once we get some more info about this thing.

Carmaker1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE 4dr (His), '22 Bronco 7MT (Mine)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My suggestion is that maybe you and your cousin start referring to it as the "2021 Bronco" instead and not 2020, as it has never been a "2020" model by management nor Ford product planning. Since program inception in 2015 for the U725, it has always been a 2021 model year vehicle, in the second half of 2020. Joe Hinrichs said "in 2020" for the Bronco and "in 2019" for the USDM P375 Ranger, which the latter was launched in January 2019 as promised. The Bronco is running late, but only by under half a year. You're not seeing a full reveal anytime soon, it's too early.

The problem, is stupid media ran with it presuming, that because the Ranger P375N would be entering production in late 2018, some wrongly claimed it was a 2018 model or correctly that it would be a 2019 model. For the Bronco, they started obtusely referring to it as a 2020 model and misinterpreting the press announcement at NAIAS 2017.

There was no way this would take such a short time to develop from 2015 to 2019, when FCA began the JL program in 2011 and barely completed work in 2017, albeit with delays of 13-16 months (JL was supposed to be a 2017 model from onset). U725 needs 5 years on it, 2020-2015 = 5.

Sponsored
OP
OP

99Discovery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's really a shame it's a 2021 model year when the defender and gladiator will be 2020s.

The JL didn't take so long because of design, the JK platform was extended because after the 2011 (or was it 2013?) Mid cycle refresh they started selling at max capacity over 150k units per year. It surprised everyone and then they took their time on the JL because they could and racked in a ton of profits by extending the JK platform. Part of going to the JL was increasing capacity (I believe).

Ford really needs the bronco out sooner, rather than later, in my opinion. A lot of people are jumping to JLs who would otherwise give the Bronco a look (I'm assuming it's worthy of a look, if not a purchase)

Carmaker1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE 4dr (His), '22 Bronco 7MT (Mine)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's really a shame it's a 2021 model year when the defender and gladiator will be 2020s.

The JL didn't take so long because of design, the JK platform was extended because after the 2011 (or was it 2013?) Mid cycle refresh they started selling at max capacity over 150k units per year. It surprised everyone and then they took their time on the JL because they could and racked in a ton of profits by extending the JK platform. Part of going to the JL was increasing capacity (I believe).

Ford really needs the bronco out sooner, rather than later, in my opinion. A lot of people are jumping to JLs who would otherwise give the Bronco a look (I'm assuming it's worthy of a look, if not a purchase)
Unlike the latest Ranger, the Bronco is all new from the ground up and debuts the new midsize truck frame, that will be used in the P703 Ranger by 2022.

As for JL, yes planning did start in the fall of 2011. It wasn't until 2014, stylistic aspects were finished, in anticipation of a targeted late 2016 launch. First major delay pushed JL back to mid-2017 intro, as a 2018 model. In the end, it went into production in November 2017 for January 2018 mid-season launch. For the Bronco, right now the goal is December 2020 and first deliveries in January 2021.

Now regarding the Defender replacement L663, well let's just say my roots were with JLR at Whitley Technical Centre the better part of 2013 to 2016. They're all similar enough in targeted customer base.;)
Sponsored