2019 Ranger prone to fuel making its.way into oil?

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Ok to give update i ended up buying the tacoma because whether or not fuel in oil was only.affecting a small batch that was too much to.overcome. the frame.rot on toyota.they solved this by spraying.the undercarriage from factory. I just got mine ziebarted so i.should be fine
congrats on your purchase. i personally really liked the Taco, but their prices forced me to do some market research and look around. one bombing run through some country curves and the memory of my subaru WRX flashed before my eyes (the palm of my hand twitches on the top of the shifter as if it's trying to find the 6 speed manual from that glorious Rex). At that point I was sold. I don't think you made a bad choice, either the Ranger or the Taco is gonna treat you well.

that said.... you're gonna wanna pay very special attention to that ziebart underspray. last i checked, they were still using rubberized undercoatings. those seem great, but as soon as one bit of it becomes compromised the water actually gets trapped in and the corrosion only has one direction to chew (through your frame). so long as they do a good job, you'll be set. but if they're just spraying that undercoat on like a 5 year old trying to hold on to a firehose they're gonna coat parts that shouldn't be covered and there's gonna be other problems.

this is a good vid on it:

keep an eye on it!
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Best rust prevention is an oil leak.

Joking but not joking.
If you’ve ever seen the undercarriage of a car with a road draft tube, you would know that this is true. My 1953 Chevy pickup had a decades-old, 1/2” thick cake of motor oil and dirt on the bottom side. When I started chipping it off (hammer and nylon scraper) the original paint was like new, 40 years later.

Rickfar

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 supercrew sport
Not me - there are a few people who have had the issue, but I believe at least one person got it resolved by either having the HPFP replaced or the injectors (or both). I've had no issues with my engine "making oil". Oil level has stayed consistent.
well today my vehicle is in the dealer for the issue of making oil the oil was changed in my vehicle at 500 miles exactly on the full mark today I have 1500 miles on it and it is about a quarter inch past the full mark. So I took it into the dealer so had to vehicle for 2 days they called me today and told me that they are you have to take the high pressure fuel pump off and the gaskets are not available that you cannot reuse the gaskets. The downside to that is the gaskets will not be available until November so they told me to come pick my truck up there going to change the oil and when the gasket is available they will take the hpfp off and check into it. Supposedly they were in contact with the engineers at Ford and they evidently told them to do some checking with the hpfp. The service manager said there probably going to replace the fuel rail also I don't quite get that unless it is part of taking off the hpfp. My impression that the fuel pump was always in the gas tank on my other vehicles but they are telling me that the fuel pump is up on the intake I am not familiar with the 2.3 ecoboost engine so I have to go by what they are telling me . So and 1500 miles my oil has been changed twice and probably be changed a third time come November. Has anyone else had the problem with the fuel in the oil and it has been corrected?

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
It's kinda hard to evaluate reliability of the current model since it has only been out one year, and there are significant differences between it and its cousins that have been sold elsewhere; however, the vehicle that our new Ranger is replacing is a '93 Ranger with ~260,000 miles. Over that time period, it needed a few repairs that you might expect, like the starter motor, spark plug wires, and maybe one or two other things I'm not remembering. The only really big thing that failed (partially) was the transmission, but it happened at 212,000 miles and it didn't leave us stranded since 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse still worked. I admit this is only one data point, though we also had an '89 Aerostar with similar long-term reliability.

Having said that, a lot depends on how you maintain it. As with most vehicles, once you get past the first 10,000 miles or so where most early failures occur, it becomes much more about maintenance and care. I think that the variation due to maintenance and care is probably wider than the variation in inherent quality between brands. I've also always accelerated many of the maintenance items, like you're planning to do. Doing that is hotly debated here in the forums, with staunch defenders on both sides of the issue, but over the dozen or so vehicles I've owned, I believe it has payed off in long term reliability at the cost of buying more oil, coolant, etc.

Note: Our 2019 Ranger's transmission doesn't make whining noises other than in reverse. Have you had the dealer check it out or searched around for it?
Yes, and thank you for the feedback. The issue ultimately went to Ford engineering who answered with the informational bulletin that in short says “some vehicles with the 10R80 transmission make the noise and some don’t. The noise is considered normal and will not affect durability.” I am not satisfied with this answer as they chose to avoid explaining why some do and some don’t. So that was all Ford and Lincoln models that have the 10 speed auto transmission. The dealers “don’t know anything about it” until the customer discovers it (after purchase).

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, and thank you for the feedback. The issue ultimately went to Ford engineering who answered with the informational bulletin that in short says “some vehicles with the 10R80 transmission make the noise and some don’t. The noise is considered normal and will not affect durability.” I am not satisfied with this answer as they chose to avoid explaining why some do and some don’t. So that was all Ford and Lincoln models that have the 10 speed auto transmission. The dealers “don’t know anything about it” until the customer discovers it (after purchase).
Hi SGT,

Often this noise is misdiagnosed as transmission whine when in fact it rear axle. Very hard for the customer to diagnose and almost impossible for the dealer. Need to get a Ford Field service engineer involved to determine this whine. Transmision whine will appear to come from the front of the vehicle and axle whine will appear to be behind your ears. This is a key helpful indicator if you are able to provide. File a complaint with Ford Customer Service. Elevate it to request a FSE evaluation. Sorry to hear of your concern.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored