Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Occupation
Retired Electrician
9/28/21
My Ranger has been running problem free until today. I live in Denver and it is hot almost every day. I was driving to a park and was switching from heat to AC when I heard a strange clicking sound under the dash. I tried to return it to AC and once again heard the clicking sound and realized all I could get out of the HVAC was hot air. I came home and tried to call the Ford dealership and got a voicemail, and no return call. I looked on You Tube and watched several helpful videos on the cause of the problem. The blend door actuator has apparently stripped the drive gear and the damper is stuck in the heat position. The You Tube video tech recommends that the dealership replace the entire HVAC unit, not just the drive motor. My truck is still under warranty so it should be replaced for no charge. The cost without warranty would be around $1700. Looks like I will be getting an extended warranty now. I have never had a problem with a Ford truck and I have been driving them for 40 years.

10/11/21
Ford dealer had truck in for a day and the technician verified my contention that the entire HVAC housing must be replaced. Parts are on order, about two weeks out. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

10/29/21
Good News?
Ford has reconfigured the HVAC housing, thicker plastic and better Q/C. They will replace the entire HVAC housing under the dash and also fix the passenger shoulder harness recall at the same time.

12/01/21
Had new housing w/3 dampers installed by dealer. They had my truck for 4 days. The parts were $210.00 and covered by warranty. Everything seems to work OK. I noticed that my heater is working much better after two winters of modest heat from the system. I think that the performance issue of the heater was there when I bought the truck new.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
If it is just the blend motor I am curious as to why he wants to replace the entire HVAC unit, for one small electric motor? Does that Tech work for the component manufacturer?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I may have seen the same video. There was one where "Ford" said replace the whole system. It made me wonder if there's a chance of other problems in the HVAC. I have 23K on my Ranger now an I was thinking about the extended warranty for this reason. If there's a possible fix of just the actuators that doesn't involve removing the whole system I won't buy the warranty. The warranty is about $1300 I looked at so I could gamble an if 1 replacement gets me through the life of the truck that wouldn't be too bad. I just got tired of buying extended warranties and not using them. Warranties beyond 6 years start getting crazy expensive that's the reason I don't jump in an buy a warranty.

someone might know but I blame the auto HVAC for this. It's constantly moving the blend doors to keep the temp where it's set vs the old system that opens the door when you move the temp knob so it's only moved a few times a month.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I may have seen the same video. There was one where "Ford" said replace the whole system. It made me wonder if there's a chance of other problems in the HVAC. I have 23K on my Ranger now an I was thinking about the extended warranty for this reason. If there's a possible fix of just the actuators that doesn't involve removing the whole system I won't buy the warranty. The warranty is about $1300 I looked at so I could gamble an if 1 replacement gets me through the life of the truck that wouldn't be too bad. I just got tired of buying extended warranties and not using them. Warranties beyond 6 years start getting crazy expensive that's the reason I don't jump in an buy a warranty.

someone might know but I blame the auto HVAC for this. It's constantly moving the blend doors to keep the temp where it's set vs the old system that opens the door when you move the temp knob so it's only moved a few times a month.
See this thread…

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...h-clicking-snapping-noise-from-the-dash.9659/

Ron L.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
The first spring I had my Ranger all I could get out of the ac vents was hot air. No change after replacing just the motor so dealer had to order the blend door assembly. That was 2020 and due o all of the shortages and backorders I didn't have ac until September. Has worked great since then.
Sponsored