2019 Ford Ranger Lariet Key Fob Battery always dieing

DASMITH

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariet
I am looking for reasons why my fob battery is constantly dieing. Ford has replaced one of the fobs although they both die. Ford has updated the PCM, gearshift and some other module. They also replaced components in the brake as I had a brake failure. After these updates, the vehicle drove and braked much smoother. I had put a battery with only 3.01 V in the fob when I dropped it off to them. When I brought it home, the battery still had 3.01V. Of course, it immediately died when I got home, so I put a battery in with 3.25V. Then, a week later(and 300 miles), the truck is jerky when accelerating at any speed and the brake depression is unreliable. I got in to start it the next day and the brake doesn’t depress although the truck starts. I checked the key fob battery and it was At 3.09V. I changed the battery (for one that is 3.25V)….now it is better. This has been going on for two year…..although usually 1500-2000 miles. The truck has 28,000 miles. I have no warning from the truck that the key fob battery is getting low. When the fob decides to stop working, my truck goes into accessory mode and stays there for at least 20 minutes. There is nothing I can do besides get out of the truck, not touch it at all, and remove the battery from the fob. I have to wait for the truck to shut itself off. Then I can start it normally and change the key fob battery as soon as I can. Do not get me started on the Ford Pass App. Cannot even unlock the doors with it…much less start it.

Things I have tried:
1. locking my truck when in the driveway.
2. Ford has replaced One key fob although both fobs die.
3. I have moved my key to the other end of the house (Through a concrete block wall and 3 stud walls).
4. Driving the truck with the key fob in the cup holder (without key fob battery). The truck drives terrible and throws all kinds of codes

The questions are:
1. How does this fob communicate with my truck?
2. What in my house could be running down the battery? Fords answer was to not keep it on the refrigerator or in my purse. ??. They did not bother to ask me where I kept it. It is not anywhere near the refrigerator or in a purse. Things in my house: Roku, Roomba, Sonos speakers, wireless printer, TV that is internet capable, Alexa, iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, smart lights,

Thanks for all your help
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That is a strange one for sure. I leave my fob on the kitchen counter about 3' from the fridge and after 3 years it still works good. We also have a tone of other electronics around the house and again have had no issues. Even my spare fob which normally hangs in my gun safe is still working fine. Do you have another dealer close by that can look at this for you? Maybe they'll have a better diagnosis for you.

OP
OP

DASMITH

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariet
This is the second dealer. The first dealer ran a tank of gas out of my truck and claimed no codes appeared. I had contacted CS to set up a case number. She told me that dealer did get codes. ?
I have been complaining about this since May of 2021. This time (with a case number), they took me seriously. I am very close to just selling it and taking the loss

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is the second dealer. The first dealer ran a tank of gas out of my truck and claimed no codes appeared. I had contacted CS to set up a case number. She told me that dealer did get codes. ?
I have been complaining about this since May of 2021. This time (with a case number), they took me seriously. I am very close to just selling it and taking the loss
Hi Dee,

Insist on a visitation by a Field Service Engineer. My take is the BCM needs attention.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP

DASMITH

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariet
Phil, can you drive these vehicles without a key fob? Is the key fob only used to start the car? There was a field service engineer on my case. He is the one that supposedly said do not keep the fob on the refrigerator in in a purse. He had them update all the modules and replace a component in the brake.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Once it's started you can drive it without having the fob with you. That's why they have the annoying double honk, to remind you your truck it still on but someone could drive off in it. Maybe try getting a faraday bag for it? This way you can start your truck then put the fob inside the bag so it can't communicate with the truck. Doesn't hurt to try until you get this figured out.

Faraday Bag.jpg
Sponsored