First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4X4, FX4, Black package
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
If anyone has successfully removed and replaced the dash tray on a 2019 Lariat, please let me know what the trick is in getting the front edge (toward the cabin) to catch back in place. The two small tabs just will not 'catch' back into place for me. I haven't even taken the tray fully out, but just cannot get it to fully seat along the edge that faces the front seats.
Sponsored

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
If anyone has successfully removed and replaced the dash tray on a 2019 Lariat, please let me know what the trick is in getting the front edge (toward the cabin) to catch back in place. The two small tabs just will not 'catch' back into place for me. I haven't even taken the tray fully out, but just cannot get it to fully seat along the edge that faces the front seats.
There are two retainers in the center of the tray that are awkward to push back in. Since you didn't remove the tray, they are already partially seated. I just pounded in the center of the tray forcefully with my fist to get it down. A rubber mallet might work too.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has a gap in the front from the factory. The "tabs" don't really do anything to hold the front lip down. I ended to heating and bending the front edge of the tray to help it be more flush. Though, with my Ram Mounts stuff attached now, it holds it down anyway.

OP
OP
Fjoyner

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
There are two retainers in the center of the tray that are awkward to push back in. Since you didn't remove the tray, they are already partially seated. I just pounded in the center of the tray forcefully with my fist to get it down. A rubber mallet might work too.
Thanks, the two main push-in's are still fully seated, so pounding on them still leaves the facing edge sticking up about 3/16" from the dash. It's almost as if the two small tabs are a one-and-done thing, too weak to catch again under whatever ledge they grabbed before removal. I have a brand new tray I bought for backup and of those two edge clips, one of them is a lot sturdier than the other. What really seems to be the issue is that once pushed away, every time you try to push them back down, those tabs just push farther away and will not reconnect with the ledge they used to be under from the factory.

OP
OP
Fjoyner

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
Mine has a gap in the front from the factory. The "tabs" don't really do anything to hold the front lip down. I ended to heating and bending the front edge of the tray to help it be more flush. Though, with my Ram Mounts stuff attached now, it holds it down anyway.
Mine had no gap from the factory whatsoever. Seems like those little front hooks did keep the front lip down, just that once pushed away to release them, they aren't strong enough to catch again and hold the tray down. Something sure kept it down from the factory because now it simply won't stay down.

OP
OP
Fjoyner

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
Thanks, the two main push-in's are still fully seated, so pounding on them still leaves the facing edge sticking up about 3/16" from the dash. It's almost as if the two small tabs are a one-and-done thing, too weak to catch again under whatever ledge they grabbed before removal. I have a brand new tray I bought for backup and of those two edge clips, one of them is a lot sturdier than the other. What really seems to be the issue is that once pushed away, every time you try to push them back down, those tabs just push farther away and will not reconnect with the ledge they used to be under from the factory.
You win.....it did take a rubber mallet and way more of a whack than I would have ever thought. I had already pressed down as hard as I could, given the awkward angle, but WHACK and all edges are down! Thanks to all...!!

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You win.....it did take a rubber mallet and way more of a whack than I would have ever thought. I had already pressed down has hard as I could, given the awkward angle, but WHACK and all edges are down! Thanks to all...!!
Hi Forrest,

You know what they say..."Do not use a computer when a hammer will do!" :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

OP
OP
Fjoyner

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
Hi Forrest,

You know what they say..."Do not use a computer when a hammer will do!" :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired
Amen, but in no world did I foresee pounding the top of the dash tray in a brand new truck with a large rubber mallet. :headbang:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Amen, but in no world did I foresee pounding the top of the dash tray in a brand new truck with a large rubber mallet. :headbang:
I hear you bud, can you imagine doing that 10 years from now when that tray has been sufficiently "baked"?

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I have had mine out several times and I found that "hooking" the front tabs in place prior to fully seating the tray worked well for me. I may be heavy handed but I did not have to use a whole lot of force to fully seat the tray on installation with this method... :)

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
The "more finesse" way to get those tabs seated is to take a flat plastic trim tool and wedge it up above the touchscreen between the dash and the plastic that surrounds the screen. Push up against the bottom of the dash to support it and the clips will click right in when you push on them.

OP
OP
Fjoyner

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
I hear you bud, can you imagine doing that 10 years from now when that tray has been sufficiently "baked"?
I know, tell me about it. When I was trying to look under it without popping the two main attachments, I could see the underlying plastic was bowed like almost a full inch. That's when it's new and flexible. Later....CRACK.....

OP
OP
Fjoyner

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
I have had mine out several times and I found that "hooking" the front tabs in place prior to fully seating the tray worked well for me. I may be heavy handed but I did not have to use a whole lot of force to fully seat the tray on installation with this method... :)
Thanks....the bottom line for me is that I'm going to mod a tray (I bought a spare) to mount some 2-way radio gear, so it's going to have to come out fully at some point and the modded one going in. Next hurdle is actually popping it loose. It feels like something is going to break. Why can't this be easy!!!!???? And of course, depending on what and how I outfit the modded tray, I might not be able to drop the big rubber mallet on it again!

Last edited:

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
Thanks....the bottom line for me is that I'm going to mod a tray (I bought a spare) to mount some 2-way radio gear, so it's going to have to come out fully at some point and the modded one going in. Next hurdle is actually popping it loose. It feels like something is going to break. Why can't this be easy!!!!???? And of course, depending on what and how I outfit the modded tray, I might not be able to drop the big rubber mallet on it again!
Once you clear the side tabs, the two tabs on the bottom are significantly sturdier and require more force. The closer you can get to prying on the bottom of the tray instead of the edges, the better.

It's an awesome spot for a radio face plate!

Also, if you're running wires down the dash to a Lightforce fascia or other spot down low, the left side vent pops out really easy and gives you a good intermediate point to aim wires around the nav screen. Use a plastic trim tool and pop them out starting at the bottom, it requires less effort to pop out than the plastic tray.
IMG_2101.JPG

OP
OP
Fjoyner

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
Thanks for the follow-up. I have a couple radios to choose from with detachable faceplates (Motorola XPR 5550 & CS800D, both used for DMR). I would like to explore a mic extension like you have so the mic cable doesn't have to drape across the nav screen. I like the clean look you have.
Sponsored