First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 ford ranger
Occupation
free
There is something wrong with my ford ranger starter. Sometime starts and sometime nothing.
I have checked the starter solenoid ,battery as well as the cable connections,all of they are good.
I assume the problem is the starter itself,since it's has been used for about 10 years.
If I asked a mechanic to check,the labor cost is about $150,it still does not include the starter cost.
I chance upon an aftermarket ford ranger starter from Hex Auto Parts costs $40 and free shipping. I haven't see many reviews about these cheap ranger starter replacement.
Have you ever bought this brand starter replacement ?
If not,which brand of auto car starter do you use ?
Thank you for your sharing.
Sponsored

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Hi Ray, while you may get an answer, you're on the forum of the newest 5G Ranger, 2019 and up. I'm positive you'll have much better success and a ton more answers on the appropriate forum. Good luck to you, sir.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
There is something wrong with my ford ranger starter. Sometime starts and sometime nothing.
I have checked the starter solenoid ,battery as well as the cable connections,all of they are good.
I assume the problem is the starter itself,since it's has been used for about 10 years.
If I asked a mechanic to check,the labor cost is about $150,it still does not include the starter cost.
I chance upon an aftermarket ford ranger starter from Hex Auto Parts costs $40 and free shipping. I haven't see many reviews about these cheap ranger starter replacement.
Here's where you want to go: Ford Ranger Forum

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick thought - on my 2005, I had starter problems similar to what you describe which I thought was a failing starter, but turned out to be a battery not strong enough to turn the starter. Sounds kind of like they syptoms you have. My mechanic explained to me that newer starters aren't like old starters (which you could kind of hear the battery slowing getting slower and slower) - they just flat out won't work. I ended up replacing the starter and it worked for a couple days and then it quit - I ended up taking it to my mechanic who diagnosed the battery - he put the original starter back in. I felt kind of stupid.

So if your battery is more than 3 or 4 years old, I'd look there first.

Hope that all made sense..... Good luck!

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
As Redland Ranger pointed out, you need to start your diagnosis at the source, in this case the battery and ALL electrical connections associated with this circuit. The starter is a high amperage draw device, any compromised connection will greatly affect its operation, including grounds.

My 2000 S/Cab which I sold last December still had the OEM starter but I had replaced batteries 4X or so, the starter had an easy life however, the truck had just 94K miles when I sold it.

Forty dollars for a reman starter huh? I'm sure you've heard the worn out adage "you pay for what you get".

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
As Redland Ranger pointed out, you need to start your diagnosis at the source, in this case the battery and ALL electrical connections associated with this circuit. The starter is a high amperage draw device, any compromised connection will greatly affect its operation, including grounds.

My 2000 S/Cab which I sold last December still had the OEM starter but I had replaced batteries 4X or so, the starter had an easy life however, the truck had just 94K miles when I sold it.

Forty dollars for a reman starter huh? I'm sure you've heard the worn out adage "you pay for what you get".
Exactly! The next point of failure from the battery are the Cables! Had a neighbor who had replaced the battery in her vehicle but still wouldn't crank the engine when cold. Turns out it was the Positive cable Connector that was so thin it wouldn't carry enough juice to the Starter! $5.99 fix for just a new connector. Cable itself was still fine!

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Exactly! The next point of failure from the battery are the Cables! Had a neighbor who had replaced the battery in her vehicle but still wouldn't crank the engine when cold. Turns out it was the Positive cable Connector that was so thin it wouldn't carry enough juice to the Starter! $5.99 fix for just a new connector. Cable itself was still fine!
I've worked on a few vehicles in which battery acid destroyed the copper strands through capillary action on both positive and negative cables, a voltage drop test will reveal this. And yes, battery terminals used nowadays are jokes, so thin and flimsy.

Also remember helping a buddy who had shoehorned a pre '71 Lincoln 460 in his mid-eighties full size Bronco. It was a high compression engine to begin with, in the range of 11:1, when the motor was warm it was a bear to get it to crank over normally.

He changed batteries and starters to no avail, the actual problem was lack of a ground cable between the engine block and vehicle frame, he added a couple of hefty cables and the problem vanished.

Ask me about using a conventional automobile starter on a Ford 385 series motor on a jet-drive speedboat that once drove me to drink...more!

Last edited:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
believe it or not... start your diagnoses by cleaning the battery posts, even if they look good and are only grey in appearance.
That is a very common cause for your symptoms and probably should be done anyway.
Sponsored