140 Cleveland

What do we name this lil Jewel of an engine?

• 140 Cleveland

• 466 Cleveland Prime

• 2.3 Blue Top

• 2.3 TITO

• 2.3 EB (lame)

• Who cares, this is some dumb Facebook shit..

Results are only viewable after voting.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Let’s not forget these engines are made in Spain and not Cleveland, tell me different..

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Quite frankly I don’t care who makes it, it’s an awesome feat compared to the old days. This engine has almost the same exact specs as my 2005 F150 V8 3.5 liter engine and half the cylinders… we’ve come a long way in 15 years…

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Let’s not forget these engines are made in Spain and not Cleveland, tell me different..
Mine has a sticker on the front of the valve cover that says it's from the Cleveland engine plant.

The early Mustang 2.3s came from Spain as did the Focus RS 2.3 but for north american built vehicles they are made at the Cleveland engine plant now.

OP
OP
AdamHarris

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Quite frankly I don’t care who makes it, it’s an awesome feat compared to the old days. This engine has almost the same exact specs as my 2005 F150 V8 3.5 liter engine and half the cylinders… we’ve come a long way in 15 years…
I want to hear more about this V8 3.5 you have..

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
You really can't compare the Eco-boost L4 with anything Ford has done previously. The Lima L4 was a true 2.3 liter (140.1 CI), while the Eco-boost is slightly under (138.2 CI). More significantly, the Lima is over square, and the Eco-boost, under square, bucking Ford's typical design specs. These specs seem insignificant to most, but not to an engine designer. The result is a better torque spec per displacement, than most Ford engines.

If you want some surprises, look at the torque specs for the 351 family (Cleveland or Windsor), compared to the 2.3 eco-boost! This begs the question, why use a heavy V6 or V8, when a lowly L4 will do the trick?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

If you want some surprises, look at the torque specs for the 351 family (Cleveland or Windsor), compared to the 2.3 eco-boost! This begs the question, why use a heavy V6 or V8, when a lowly L4 will do the trick?
Yeah, but the instantaneous torque of a V8 is an addiction ?

6eb51p.jpg

Just hopping in and driving, you would swear that my Jeep is faster than my Ranger.

300+ torque right off idle feels mighty nice.

But it you watch the speedometer you'll realize that the Ranger is quicker and gets up to speed more effortlessly. To be honest, they're pretty close but the Ranger is a bit quicker.

A lot of that seamless sensation is due to the 10 speed automatic clicking through the close ratio gears so that you're always in the powerband.

The Jeep gives you that hard punch between gears. While it feels fast, it's slower than the modern transmission.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
As far as bell housings go, Ford has always dumb, Chevy small and big block, basically all the same.
Ford though has many, here is where the big/small block bell housings get confusing, a 351M/400M small block uses the 429/460 big block bell housing, a 351C/351W/302W and 300 six are another, 331-428FE engines are another.
There are even more with older engines, 292, early 460 Lincoln, or into the smaller six cyls.

Mr.Mel

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1965 Mustang
Occupation
Selling Stuff
If I am correct the Cleveland Engine Plant #2 in Brook Park is currently in the process of demolition. Is this the one on Snow Road near the airport?

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
Ok smart guy. How come those who apparently know all about this subject are speaking about “small block bolt patterns” and “Big Block bolt patterns” huh?
[/QUOTE]

maybe these people dont know FORD history or choose to ignore it and just follow the GM crowds terminology. also the magazine writers are guilty of using small & big block terminology to define FORD engines. have a look......

older FORD info: https://fordification.com/tech/engineID-V8.htm
modular engine : https://www.diyford.com/ford-modular-engine-identification-guide/
complete list (?) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_engines
Sponsored