Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Derp...

I was hoping to have gotten a build thread started by now but that’s either a ways off or not with this truck.

Sunday night I was on my way into work and in the left lane traveling at approximately 55/60mph and entering a construction zone on a major highway. I saw a semi in the right lane ahead of me and the merge lane to the right up ahead had a black minivan and a Tahoe. Both of those vehicles were braking for the semi and slowing down. The van continued to slow down and didn’t appear to be merging when all of a sudden the Tahoe made a sharp turn to the left - crossed the right lane and into the left lane...

...you guessed it; directly in front of me. It occurred so fast that I had zero time to react. WHAM! In goes the front passenger side of my truck into the rear driver’s side of her vehicle. She wasn’t fully in either lane at the time of the collision.

Driver’s airbag went off, passenger side airbags went off. Smoke and an awful chemical smell filled the cabin choking me. The system immediately called 911 and told me to stay calm or something, I’m not really sure but it was talking to me; it did call 911.

The short version of what happened next was Troopers arrived took both of our statements and the only difference was perspective, she stated she was trying to avoid a collision with the van hence her action. A witness stayed and confirmed she swerved from the merge lane to the left lane and directly in front of me.

Truck’s radiator was spewing on the highway, it wouldn’t start, the front end was punched in - my heart was angry and broke.

Had to get a wrecker to flatbed it to the yard. Trooper stated the cause of the accident was her unlawful lane change.

I had my truck for 13 days and had less than 1200mi on it... :(
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hack_Actual

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I opened a claim with both my insurance and hers and lo and behold...her story had changed. :explode:

She’s claiming that she merged and was in the left lane for a time before I just came up and hit her.

You can clearly see by the pictures that it wasn’t a full on frontal collision. I’m sick to my stomach over now having to potentially fight this when it shouldn’t be that way.

The truck is at my dealer’s body shop, I should know more tomorrow.

OP
OP
Hack_Actual

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an aside, the cut crash bars didn’t seem to negatively affect anything as everything worked as it should have.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I opened a claim with both my insurance and hers and lo and behold...her story had changed. :explode:

She’s claiming that she merged and was in the left lane for a time before I just came up and hit her.

You can clearly see by the pictures that it wasn’t a full on frontal collision. I’m sick to my stomach over now having to potentially fight this when it shouldn’t be that way.

You shouldn't have to fight anything - that is what insurance is for.

That really sucks.....Sorry to hear of your misfortune. It hurts to see those photos.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sorry about your truck! Damn it makes me sick just seeing this I can imagine how you feel right now but lucky it wasn't worse and everything worked as it should and you walked away. At least you have the witnesses statement and it's clear from the pictures she's lying! Just think about that nice new 2020 Ranger that'll be sitting in your driveway soon enough.:clock:

David Schuster

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4; 1969 Torino GT
WOW, that sucks!! Good thing you are OK. I had a close call at <1000 miles on the expressway where an 18 wheeler merged into left lane and almost pushed me into a wall. No contact but pulled off to chill and took side roads home..

OP
OP
Hack_Actual

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You shouldn't have to fight anything - that is what insurance is for.

That really sucks.....Sorry to hear of your misfortune. It hurts to see those photos.
You’re right, but I don’t trust anyone to fight for me but me; an unfortunate sign of the times, perhaps.

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about the damage to the truck, that's awful.

Story's changing is why I have a dashcam. Insurance companies get one view of the video and it doesn't matter what's said or what story changes. Good news is the trooper wrote it up and you can send it to both insurance company's and she can lie all she wants it won't do any good.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
The truck did it's job.. crumple zones worked and so did the air bags... someone on a jeep site a few years ago bragged about hitting an F-150 head-on, at corner, at slow to medium speed and had a scratch on his bumper but the F-150 front end / fenders were all pushed in... He was bragging about how tough his jeep was... Just proved to me now un-safe a jeep is, especially when you start replacing bumpers.. but I get it, sorta..

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase

This is exactly why I installed a Dashcam in my Ranger! Front and Rear facing cameras. Have them in all my vehicles! Proof positive who did what and when!
Sponsored