Check Transmission Light and Check Engine?

Roaring Gorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Ridgeline AWD Sport
Long story short: I have a newer truck with nearly 3k miles. Before I started out for work, I noticed two maintenance lights. Both were a check transmission/4x4 wrench light and one was a check engine light. Ford pass gave me the power train malfunction and malfunction indicator lamp regulatory alerts. They would not go away despite multiple engine switches. I needed to get going on my way to work which is 46 miles away so I started out in 2H. I was scared to do so.
As I was driving to work today the two maintenance lights remained on. I had to pull over as I was driving because as was driving on my commute the truck shifted automatically into 4H. I shut off the engine and waited. I turned it back on and the wrench light turned off but the check engine remained. I was able to drive without any issue to work. However, I had noticed a few times over the past weeks there seems to be a slight lag/chug during acceleration, I have not been out to my truck today again to see if the check engine light is on. I have a 46 mile trip back home today. I was going to consider going for a free diagnostic at an auto parts store today.

Should I schedule something with ford? Has anyone else had these issues? I am wondering out loud if it is a bad sensor or if I got some bad gas.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Long story short: I have a newer truck with nearly 3k miles. Before I started out for work, I noticed two maintenance lights. Both were a check transmission/4x4 wrench light and one was a check engine light. Ford pass gave me the power train malfunction and malfunction indicator lamp regulatory alerts. They would not go away despite multiple engine switches. I needed to get going on my way to work which is 46 miles away so I started out in 2H. I was scared to do so.
As I was driving to work today the two maintenance lights remained on. I had to pull over as I was driving because as was driving on my commute the truck shifted automatically into 4H. I shut off the engine and waited. I turned it back on and the wrench light turned off but the check engine remained. I was able to drive without any issue to work. However, I had noticed a few times over the past weeks there seems to be a slight lag/chug during acceleration, I have not been out to my truck today again to see if the check engine light is on. I have a 46 mile trip back home today. I was going to consider going for a free diagnostic at an auto parts store today.

Should I schedule something with ford? Has anyone else had these issues? I am wondering out loud if it is a bad sensor or if I got some bad gas.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi RG,

Sounds like you have an electrical connector improperly seated...just a guess. It needs dealer attention...Good luck making it home!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Roaring Gorilla

Roaring Gorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Ridgeline AWD Sport
Just an update: I took my truck to O'Riley's for a check free OBD-II code check. Two codes were read from my truck: Code PO299 and P2AB9. These are pointing to under-responsiveness from the turbocharger. I have not noticed any fluid leaking anywhere yet. The check engine light is the only light on for me still - it is not blinking.

Pretty much not the news I am wanting to hear. I was able to drive home from work about 47 miles without issue. I can't get into any Ford dealerships near me until next Monday at the earliest. Now I have to figure out if I should tempt driving my truck or park it and figure out other transportation for my 85 mile commute!!!
Sponsored