• Total voters

LMKFX4XLT

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercab
I will be on the fence on this decision of buying an extended warranty. In the past I have purchased one and haven't for my trucks and Explorer. At no time have I ever used any of the features of the warranty.

What I would like to know would be those that have purchased the Ford ESP, in the past, have you had service without drama from Ford in using the ESP? Did they nickel and dime you when you came in for the repairs of what was covered and not covered leaving you standing there wondering why you even purchased the plan?

Thanks.
I got my XLT Ranger in November 2019, didn't go for the extended warranty, but my dealership has a VIP program that they offer at $1000 which covers lifetime oil changes, tire rotations, 10% off labor for any work, loaner car while your vehicle is in, ... and life time warranty on the engine. I negotiated the cost of the VIP program down to $500, which is what I think engine oil changes and tire rotations are worth for 3 - 5 years (made the case that what if I want to move to another vehicle). The turbo 4 cylinder sounds like its a good engine, but don't mind having the extra protection.
Sponsored

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I got a 7 year/100k PremiumCare warranty.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I expect to purchase the next Gen Ranger or Tacoma. I won't have 20K miles on my truck when I sell it. I would only buy a deep discounted Service Contract (they are not warranties) As Flood Ford offers. The only issue I have with branded service contracts is that we HAVE to use the dealer and I know how much techs hate to do warranty work. My next vehicle may very well be my last so I will consider the ESC on merit unless I find a great local shop.
I'll probably have a little more than that because I enjoy driving the Ranger so much more than my Tacoma. Everything here is close by so I don't rack up many miles like when I lived back east and lived up in the mountains. Until I fully retire I'll keep buying new trucks every 3 years for the write off and I will be serious looking at the Ranger Raptor (if available) next time around. I figure with al the mods I want to do that one will just about cover all the bases lol Once I decide to retire and keep my truck for a longer period I will most definitely get the ESC because if all the electronics that they have now. It now if they're going to fail it when. :)

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Took the Flood ESP warranty prices to the closing with the finance guy at the dealership. Got a 8 yr 100k mile warranty for 1455$. Well worth it. Premium care/bumper to bumper warranty.

The pricing on warranties is hilarious. I don’t think people know they are negotiable. Rolled into a zero % financing. Seems like a no brainer.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'll probably have a little more than that because I enjoy driving the Ranger so much more than my Tacoma. Everything here is close by so I don't rack up many miles like when I lived back east and lived up in the mountains. Until I fully retire I'll keep buying new trucks every 3 years for the write off and I will be serious looking at the Ranger Raptor (if available) next time around. I figure with al the mods I want to do that one will just about cover all the bases lol Once I decide to retire and keep my truck for a longer period I will most definitely get the ESC because if all the electronics that they have now. It now if they're going to fail it when. :)
I agree with that. I hope that I can buy the ranger next time that the Tacoma truck sucks. if I choose the ranger I hope the bed is the same size so I could save a lot of my accessories and transfer them over to the new truck dealer ain't going to give me anything for him and people don't want to pay for them. I would lean toward the Ranger though because Toyota doesn't do many updates and they are way behind the tech ball and drivetrain ball. My next Vehicles going to be a keeper since I'm 65 years old I don't even buy green bananas anymore.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I agree with that. I hope that I can buy the ranger next time that the Tacoma truck sucks. if I choose the ranger I hope the bed is the same size so I could save a lot of my accessories and transfer them over to the new truck dealer ain't going to give me anything for him and people don't want to pay for them. I would lean toward the Ranger though because Toyota doesn't do many updates and they are way behind the tech ball and drivetrain ball. My next Vehicles going to be a keeper since I'm 65 years old I don't even buy green bananas anymore.
:LOL::LOL: You've not that old,you still have a long ways to go!

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
:LOL::LOL: You've not that old,you still have a long ways to go!
I still take pictures though ....LOL

I used to ask my 92-year-old grandmother why she is still taking pictures

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
How often do you hear about electronics failing in the first 100k miles? When I purchased my Mustang from Surprise Ford, the finance guy was telling horror stories about the car computer failing. I honestly know of nobody that has had their car computer fail. The only electrical components I have had fail were the alternator and the battery. Oh, I did have a power window motor fail after somebody smashed the drivers side window out of my sons '99 Mustang. You typically have to have a lot of stuff fail to recoup the cost of the extended warranty.

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
I never know what to do with the extended warranty. Typically I don’t keep my truck long enough. I decided to get a 7 year 100k warranty for 1400 but still debating if I should keep it or not. Yes, typically you don’t need it but I’m not as trusting of Ford long term then I am of Toyota.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Took the Flood ESP warranty prices to the closing with the finance guy at the dealership. Got a 8 yr 100k mile warranty for 1455$. Well worth it. Premium care/bumper to bumper warranty.

The pricing on warranties is hilarious. I don’t think people know they are negotiable. Rolled into a zero % financing. Seems like a no brainer.
The only issue with rolling the warranty price in the loan is that it creates a negative equity situation. If something happens where your Ranger is declared a total loss, or if you decide to make a vehicle change, you may be out a lot of $$ before the extended warranty even kicks in.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I never know what to do with the extended warranty. Typically I don’t keep my truck long enough. I decided to get a 7 year 100k warranty for 1400 but still debating if I should keep it or not. Yes, typically you don’t need it but I’m not as trusting of Ford long term then I am of Toyota.
IMO, if you can get all your money back on the ESP now, I would back out and ask for the refund. Then reassess when the Rangers factory warranty is about to expire. You can always buy one from Flood at that time.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
How often do you hear about electronics failing in the first 100k miles? When I purchased my Mustang from Surprise Ford, the finance guy was telling horror stories about the car computer failing. I honestly know of nobody that has had their car computer fail. The only electrical components I have had fail were the alternator and the battery. Oh, I did have a power window motor fail after somebody smashed the drivers side window out of my sons '99 Mustang. You typically have to have a lot of stuff fail to recoup the cost of the extended warranty.

Well an extended warranty is just like having health insurance,you buy it hoping you never have to use it but if you do, it could save your ass one day. With all these sensors and electronics on vehicles now a days if I was going to keep my truck longer than 3 years I would most definitely purchase one.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I did not buy one for my Ranger, but we did buy one for our Hybrid C-Max due to all the high tech electronics and batteries, etc. The way I look at it is that it is more of an insurance policy than something I will make money on. You are right, electronic components typically fail early or will go quite a long time - HOWEVER, if they do fail, the prices to replace them (for just the parts) are completely insane. If you are unlucky enough to have one fail outside of warranty, I think you would be glad you had the extended warranty.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
The only issue with rolling the warranty price in the loan is that it creates a negative equity situation. If something happens where your Ranger is declared a total loss, or if you decide to make a vehicle change, you may be out a lot of $$ before the extended warranty even kicks in.
Not at all. If you sell the car or total loss you can get a pro rated refund on the extended warranty. Just did it on my old car. Not a big deal. With zero % financing it was a no brainer to roll it into the loan. It’s a free loan with no interest that can be refunded at any point if I sell the truck.
Sponsored