George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. I love my Roush intake but I didn’t know about the exhaust restriction. Now that both are remedied it’s like a whole new truck
The SINGLE biggest breathing restrictions on any new vehicle will always be the stock exhaust systems. A simple muffler delete,(replaced of course with a straight pipe) for the Ranger and leave the resonator in place. That alone will give you the most bang for your bux,so to say.

Then go on a do the CAI. Myself,being a geezer,will not have my factory tune messed with. But that's just me. But,always do your exhaust mods first,and you don't have to buy these big buck systems to enjoy the performance gain.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
The SINGLE biggest breathing restrictions on any new vehicle will always be the stock exhaust systems. A simple muffler delete,(replaced of course with a straight pipe) for the Ranger and leave the resonator in place. That alone will give you the most bang for your bux,so to say.

Then go on a do the CAI. Myself,being a geezer,will not have my factory tune messed with. But that's just me. But,always do your exhaust mods first,and you don't have to buy these big buck systems to enjoy the performance gain.
Good advice!
Regards
Doc

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger

How does that sound with just the resonator?

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass
If this would be your first mod to your ranger,do the exhaust first. It's very restricted and if you don't,and just go with a cai,you won't notice anything but noise. Remember,"easy out-easier in". The exhaust system on any truck is totally constipated and the engine really has to work harder to expel the exhaust gases.
3 Years late reading this and totally agree. I can only do the Cat Back now, but maybe I'll get a little bite with the growl. The 2.5" is way to small for a Turbo pushing 18 psi. I got the JB4 first and really it is the reason for the full exhaust. Best fit I could find is a 3" Catted Downpipe which should really bring the whole system to life. IDK if you really need more than a K&N or AEM drop in to filter for the intake. Rangers have had CAI since like the 90's. I am more concerned with the janky looking intel that passes air from the Grill, ACCROSS the RAD cover, to the snorkel. That is just pure restriction. Putting a $300-500 pipe under the Hood is just an amplifier for the motor unless you're going for serious HP.

Even just a upgraded Downpipe I've seen give 11-15 WHP, and more Torque down low. It could only get better on a full Exhaust. What? Close to 30 WHP? That is the responsive kind of power too. Not wait till the morning kind of spool. Plus, I don't believe that is even a warranty concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

TomSim

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Has anyone looked into an air intake for their Ranger? I'm curious as to benefits and choices.
Thanks for all input.

Ryyck
Keep in mind that K and N use a petroleum product on their filters which could mess up your intake sensor MAF

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Keep in mind that K and N use a petroleum product on their filters which could mess up your intake sensor MAF
Rangers don't have a MAF sensor, they use MAP.

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass
I ran 160K miles on my 99 Ranger with a K&N drop in. It ran fine for 20 years on the same filter. The research I did later suggests that was not the best Idea given they let incredibly high amounts of particles through VS OEM paper filters. However, we are talking a 3.0l Vulcan motor which will run underwater with bullet holes in it. with my 2022 Ranger, I went with AEM Dry Flow for the filtration and flow performance being optimized. High flow, serviceable, and no oil needed.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Roush CAI. I bought it because it is oil-free. Articles I’ve seen online say it won’t throw codes and it didn’t on my Ranger. I‘m curious, is the oil in some filters the culprit behind them throwing codes or is it something else?
Sponsored