Ranger Outsells GM mid sized pickups in Q4

Deleted member 1634

I don't know if this is just a local thing, but my local Delaware Ford dealer does not seem to be promoting the Ranger at all. I drive by their lot almost every day, as it is on my way to and from work, and they are all about the F-150s and especially the Raptors. You really have to look hard passing the lot to find a Ranger out back. Sure, they make more money selling the 150, but this is not helping the Ranger launch year at all....
My dealer is huge, they take up about a 1/4 of the nearby mall parking lot with hundreds and hundreds of vehicles, most of them F-150s. There are a couple Rangers parked in the second lot mixed in with some F-150s, but most of them are way way in the back, behind the mall with the used vehicle covered in snow and hidden by the snow piles. No way anyone would ever see them there. Meanwhile they've got hundreds of F-150s lining the front lot with a few Explorers and Edges mixed in. Not helping Ranger sales at all.
Sponsored

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I shopped for four months and I was getting spam from GM all year...they never heavily discounted the twins....all year.

A brand new shiny toy and it won one quarter...barely. perfect description of underwhelming.

I even wrote to them and complained there was not even a loyalty discount....In fact they "offered" 1500 if you had a GM product leased and 1500 if you didn't....:shrug: That was the fourth quarter..
Really? What about employee pricing? That was nationwide in Q4. Nationwide.

I could have got 7k off in June. That discount was the same the rest of the year.

Not sure where you live, but every other commericil was GM discounts.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Please keep facts out of this discussion. If you claim anything other than that the ranger had the worst sales in the history of motor vehicles you are simply a fanboy.

Last edited:

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Technically GM paid back all the bailout money...before 2013. Ford on the other hand still owes uncle Sam 5.9 billion it borrowed "quietly" in 2009...

Lots of fake news out there...or so the internet says...
While yes the "New" GM repaid a small loan - the original GM never repaid anything about 11 + billion dollars that it wiped out during it bankruptcy - I know they did a big song and dance commercial for a little bit to talk about how they repaid the money. However, if you read the financial I believe most of that money came from Fed money.

Yes, Ford did bower 5.9 billion and our on track to pay back in 2022. Should they default on their loan then I will feel the same way.

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Really? What about employee pricing? That was nationwide in Q4. Nationwide.

I could have got 7k off in June. That discount was the same the rest of the year.

Not sure where you live, but every other commericil was GM discounts.

Employee pricing was one month and is not very good to begin with....That is my point you are spammed over and over with nothing....Even lease deals were worse. The best I could do was 37k otd on a 41k truck from a dealer that I've purchased 15 cars from and know the owner personally. Also In June I still had 7 months on my lease.. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings lol but you just cant make a wish and change reality...If I could do that I would have hair. :sun:

We can agree to disagree....I stand by my comments that the sales underwhelmed for the year...and yet I bought one.:shock:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Employee pricing was one month and is not very good to begin with....That is my point you are spammed over and over with nothing....Even lease deals were worse. The best I could do was 37k otd on a 41k truck from a dealer that I've purchased 15 cars from and know the owner personally. Also In June I still had 7 months on my lease.. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings lol but you just cant make a wish and change reality...If I could do that I would have hair. :sun:

We can agree to disagree....I stand by my comments that the sales underwhelmed for the year...and yet I bought one.:shock:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it seems to me like they did pretty well for a first year launch, especially given the lack of marketing. I'd love to know what the actual production numbers were for the 2019s. It seems like they sold a very high percentage of what they produced, which would seem to be a good thing for a first model year. If I were in Ford's shoes, I think I would be pretty happy with the results. At this point, they are somewhat constrained on how many they can produce, so they wouldn't want it to be TOO successful.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also curious about how many of these sales where sold to fleet - I know Toyota has big fleet sales not sure about GM

Deleted member 1634

I'm also curious about how many of these sales where sold to fleet - I know Toyota has big fleet sales not sure about GM
So far I've seen a couple commercial-use Rangers around. Basic white XLs. So I know there have at least been a few. Probably not in the same percentage as the last gen was where I would them everywhere. Hopefully that'll come back as well.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I'm not sure the problem was with a shortage of trucks versus an awesome new truck built by Ford.
After owning my 2020 for just 3 days, I'd have to say it's the latter of the 2 reasons you gave.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have followed a few F150 forums and my last 2 trucks were F150s, but there is such an arrogance there that is off putting to me. I ordered my new 2020 supercab to downsize and try something different. But all you hear on there is how stupid we are because we could get an F150 for the same or less money. Sometimes I wish General Motors or Ram would outsell them one year just to take the smugness out of them, but I love my Ranger and Escape
I could give a rats behind what the F series guys say, the truck is just too large for urban driving and parking in Honolulu, the Ranger fits my needs very well, thanks.
As I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum, my mind was made up to get a new Ranger when Ford announced it's return some years ago.
The only thing that would have swayed my decision is if Ford partnered with Yugo on its design, engineering, and production.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeff posted them here yesterday. He didn't have much choice as we were all hounding him for them! :D:p
Whew! Thanks for clearing that up Dave! :whew:
Here I thought they were about to send out the "hounds" for me, led by hound number 409! :crackup:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Here I thought they were about to send out the "hounds" for me, led by hound number 409! :crackup:
Well the next choice was to come out to Hawaii and hunt you down and see it in person. Matter of fact that doesn't sound like a bad idea. :idea:

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just think your out having to much fun driving around in the new Truck.
Sponsored