Help me buy my first topper

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I am not really sure where to start....

Reading the threads I am learning that the topper must be shipped to a dealer and that it can take 1-2 months. Is that correct?

How do I start here? What features/options do I need?

There is a Leer dealer near me but the closest ARE is 100+ miles away so that is out.

I requested a quote on the 100R just to get something moving.

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
This really come down to what you want and what you’re willing to spend. Months? No. It’s more like a week or two. I just ordered mine and it’ll be in within two weeks. A good dealer will take care of you. As for brand, that again is largely subjective. I’m not necessarily loyal to anything in particular' but rather go off of research. I went with Century this time as I found out through my research that they’re made by Leer on the same factory line but just sold under a different brand name so that Leer can have more dealers in a single geographical location. You’ll want to know your color code too and you can find that on the manufacturer’s sticker on the drivers door jamb. As for features, decide what you need and what’s just nice to have as the price starts to climb quickly as you continue to check off the option boxes.

JoeG

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab Lightning Blue
The most important thing in my opinion is to figure out how high you need the cap to be. Leer has 3 heights; cab high (100 series), mid high (180 series), and high (122). However, it looks like only the 100 series is available so far for the new Ranger. But I'd check with Leer or a dealer to be sure.

I'm partial to the mid high myself; IME cab high is too low as the rear door hinge (and therefore tallest cargo) is below the top of the cab height.

After that, the different letters in Leer's models deal with the type of side windows and rear glass. After that, there are a whole bunch of options to add, but only you will know what you want of need.

I'm waiting on a mid height Jeraco brand cap myself, and they won't be available until late winter.

JakeNB

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT; Super Crew; Shadow Black with Stone Interior; FX4 Off Road Package; Trailer Tow Package; LT Tires; Spray in Bed Liner; Black splash guards and running boards; Leer 100R cap (on order)
I purchased a Leer 100R last summer. Waited 4 weeks but I am on the East Coast of Canada. Only option I got was the carpeted headliner. Very happy so far!
09c9888a-133a-4f0a-9f78-490467e860e6-jpeg.jpg

OP
OP

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Thanks for all the advice.

JakeNB-Is that a paint match to OEM? How do they connect the high brake light?

JakeNB

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT; Super Crew; Shadow Black with Stone Interior; FX4 Off Road Package; Trailer Tow Package; LT Tires; Spray in Bed Liner; Black splash guards and running boards; Leer 100R cap (on order)
Thanks for all the advice.

JakeNB-Is that a paint match to OEM? How do they connect the high brake light?
Yes they match the factory paint. The dealer installed it; they tie in the brake light and LED dome light to the trucks wiring and use a quick release plug in case you want to remove it temporarily.

Ranger Rick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Anybody have the Leer 180 or another mid-rise canopy/topper/cap/camper shell? (Also, why the hell can't we decide on a single name for the damn thing?)

OP
OP

RMD3819

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
How watertight should the topper be? I can't seem to get a tight seal at the front corners. It has been back twice to the installer. The first time he added a foam gasket and the second time added duct tape. He said the next step is expandable foam.

It just rained and there is still a small leak at both corners but much improved from when it was first installed.

Is this typical or should I be expecting a watertight seal?

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
It is typical. The bed of the ranger is not flat across up there. mine has some minor leaking but the water does not flow. when they installed mine the filled the gap with tape so there are no actual holes. I probably get more from the tailgate areas then the front edge. Good luck.

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
I went with the Leer 100R also. Haven't driven in the rain yet even though it has been raining for a couple of days. "Stay at Home"
I do know its not tight enough to take through a high pressure car wash.
No matter whether it leaks or not I love the way this shell looks on Rangers
20200404_132159~3.jpg

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
What makes you think it will leak through a high-pressure wash? Mine hasn't leaked at all and I take it through my neighborhood power wash (touch-free) all the time. ?‍♂
Sponsored