Topper Shell

Ranger Rick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I don't think that the Leer 180 are available for the new Ranger. Nothing but the 100 series caps come up as fitting when you do the "Fit My Truck" tab on the Leer website. https://www.leer.com/truck-caps

I want a mid rise cap myself, preferably the one from Jeraco as I like the styling better than Leer or ARE. When I called Jeraco in December, they said that they were working on the mold for their 5 ft bed Ranger mid rise, and that the 6 ft bed would be next. They said that I'd be able to get my 6 ft mid rise "late winter."
I've confirmed with a dealer the Leer 180 is available for the Ranger, both the 5' and 6' beds. Just haven't seen one yet, in person or a picture.

Deleted member 1634

I've confirmed with a dealer the Leer 180 is available for the Ranger, both the 5' and 6' beds. Just haven't seen one yet, in person or a picture.
Could you maybe ask Leer if they have any pictures of their product on a Ranger? I feel like they must've built at least one to test the fit in real life (as opposed to just CAD modelling). Worth a shot at least.

Deleted member 1634

I'm curious why each of you chose the topper manufacturer you did. Leer vs Century vs ARE vs Snugtop vs etc. Was it purely dealer in your area? Was it price? Was it options available?

Deleted member 1634

Leer 100RCC went on Friday. No real difference to the rake. Going to do the drawers, shelves, battery and fridge before I decide to level or lift. Only complaint is that this line can't connect to the auto lock system like some of the non commercial lines can.

20190914_163630.jpg
I notice it looks like this one has the cargo boxes built into the sidewalls of the topper. I've thought about doing something like that on the driver's side only and leaving the passenger side a regular windoor (ARE allows you to add them like that). I carry around a lot of little things for safety, survival, adventure preparedness, etc. and am trying to figure out the best way to store all of it.

What are your thoughts on this setup? Why did you get the cargo boxes? Are they as practical as you thought? Do they impede your vision out the back? How much do they stick out into the bed area? Any chance of seeing more pictures?

Thanks much!

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Got the leer, went with sliding windows so the dogs can ride back there. Took the rack off for daily driving.

37B1FD43-AFB5-4F59-8F00-92BDFF4DA51F.jpeg

813D45F9-163B-4B98-9823-90D8D5AAC313.jpeg

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I'm curious why each of you chose the topper manufacturer you did. Leer vs Century vs ARE vs Snugtop vs etc. Was it purely dealer in your area? Was it price? Was it options available?
FWIW, regardless of what people will try to tell you, Leer is the same thing as Century. They're made on the same assembly line by the same people with the same parts in the same factory. If you live near one of their factory/distribution centers (I do), feel free to go there for a tour. It sealed the deal for me...there's no reason to buy a Leer and pay more when you can get the same features and materials on a Century for less money. The rest (SnugTop, ARE, etc) were over $1500 more than what I paid for my shell and that was for their entry-level models. The price difference between my Century and the Leer counterpart (Ultra Sport and 100XL, respectively) was close to $700. The dealer threw in the carpeted roof liner (matches my BedRug nicely) and the keyless entry (keyed to my truck's fob) for free and that was all she wrote for me. I was sold.

Also, if you have a keen eye, you'll notice that some of the shell gallery photos posted on Century's website have Leer logos on them. :crackup:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
FWIW, regardless of what people will try to tell you, Leer is the same thing as Century. They're made on the same assembly line by the same people with the same parts in the same factory. If you live near one of their factory/distribution centers (I do), feel free to go there for a tour. It sealed the deal for me...there's no reason to buy a Leer and pay more when you can get the same features and materials on a Century for less money. The rest (SnugTop, ARE, etc) were over $1500 more than what I paid for my shell and that was for their entry-level models. The price difference between my Century and the Leer counterpart (Ultra Sport and 100XL, respectively) was close to $700. The dealer threw in the carpeted roof liner (matches my BedRug nicely) and the keyless entry (keyed to my truck's fob) for free and that was all she wrote for me. I was sold.

Also, if you have a keen eye, you'll notice that some of the shell gallery photos posted on Century's website have Leer logos on them. :crackup:
How much was the century? When I looked they had nothing listed for Rangers. The Leer with carpet, dome light, front and side sliding windows, pet screens, and a roof rack was $2200 installed.

Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
How much was the century? When I looked they had nothing listed for Rangers. The Leer with carpet, dome light, front and side sliding windows, pet screens, and a roof rack was $2200 installed.
Which Leer model? Also, I suspect pricing is quite different in New Hampshire versus the San Francisco Bay Area. The absolute cheapest Leer I could buy, which had no options at all and was painfully basic, would've cost me $2800 installed. The Century I got, which is not an entry level model anyway, was $2050 installed.

Deleted member 1634

Thanks for that info! I was originally looking at an ARE since they had the options I wanted, but after rethinking what we needed, the Leer/Century might end up being the way to go. I put out a quote request for a Leer 100XR, we'll see what that comes back at and maybe go with a different model depending on what that says. I have no idea which is the base model, which is the high end, and what's inbetween.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Which Leer model? Also, I suspect pricing is quite different in New Hampshire versus the San Francisco Bay Area. The absolute cheapest Leer I could buy, which had no options at all and was painfully basic, would've cost me $2800 installed. The Century I got, which is not an entry level model anyway, was $2050 installed.
They tell me it’s a Leer Legend, which is the same as a 100R but a shorter warranty.

Blakebird

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercab
I got a good quote on an A.R.E. CX Classic, but after looking at all the differences between the models (and brands) - which were pretty minor and mostly style related - it was suggested that I look at the V Series too, since I wasn't looking at many options.
The charcoal headliner was free (their seasonal sale on all A.R.E. shells good thru January includes it). The only options were the double locking rear door and a single 12v LED light (no prop switch or light 'ropes'). Basic sliding windows, fixed front glass, 31% tint, trimless edge, etc.
I have the 6' box and will be using it for boondock camping with an SUV tent.
$1660 all in, and a Bedrug kit for another $460 - all installed free. Ordered it yesterday, should be here in 3 weeks, color matched G1 Black.
Sponsored