Audio System "Enhanced" Engine Sound and your Subwoofer

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Ok, let's get to the bottom of this. My discussions so far have been buried in other people's threads.

The goal of this post is to make it a team effort to figure out if the Ranger has this effect that other Fords have, and if it does, how to disable it so we can have subwoofers that don't amplify engine sounds. First some background about what it is - Audio system enhancement through your speakers to make your little engine sound like a big engine.

Did you have your subwoofer system installed by a "professional"? This is a first year truck with very little information and there's a very good chance they did not address this issue. Ask them where they got their signal from. Nobody even knows what's available for outputs on the OEM amp, if they are level controlled, if the sound is pre-processing or what. And if they took speaker level outputs you get what you get - and that could be engine enhanced sound.

TFL Truck showing how the 3.5 L F150 has it.

Talk about disabling it in a 2.3 L Mustang. Focus on technicals, not the cute blonde. :D

I've looked for a mic in the same rough area of Ranger and I don't see one. Maybe there's a mic elsewhere. But - See the 2019 Direct Wire Information Chart I have attached. I don't see a specific wire listed for a mic. That doesn't mean there isn't one and the Ranger doesn't have this feature - because to me, it sounds like it does. Maybe there is no wire because the mic is mounted directly to the amp unit or something.

So some work needs to be done here. I request the help of the Ranger5G team so we can have good subwoofer systems. Questions that need to be answered:

• Does the Ranger use audio system enhanced sound?
  • If yes, where is the mic for it?
  • Can it be disabled by unplugging it when we find it?
  • Are there any RCA line level volume controlled outputs on the OEM head unit?
  • If not RCA line level, perhaps wires we can splice into between the head the separate amp?
  • If none of this, is our only option for subwoofer inputs the rear speaker line levels?
  • The wiring diagram has wire colors from the amp to the speakers. Same from head unit to amp?

These questions need to be answered to have a truly decent external amplified subwoofer system. I am working on answering these questions myself and will post up as soon as I know them, but if anyone has anything, sound off.

:like:

After these are answered, I get started on a custom box fit to every nook and cranny behind the rear seat like I did on my last '99 std cab ranger. 20 band parametric eq on the inside with full cab calibrated mic measurement for smooth contoured response. :)

audio-speaker5-ranger-back1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------
April 2020 Update

Over time we have some answers. I wanted to post an update to post #1 so people don't have to dig through this whole thread to find answers. Particularly when the first few pages are just discussing if the enhanced engine sound is even there.

Does the Ranger use audio system enhanced sound?
Yes, confirmed by several Ford engineers, engine sound enhancement is there. It varies according to throttle position, engine RPMs and other factors. The Forscan crew as of now has not figured out how to disable it, although there have been rumblings about it here and here.

If yes, where is the mic for it?
Can it be disabled by unplugging it when we find it?

Ok here's where there was some confusion. The mic is not for enhanced engine sound. It is for ANC, the Active Noise Cancellation system. Not all Rangers have this, only those with a particular options package, usually Lariats and potentially overseas Raptors. And this it seems is potentially a bigger problem than enhanced engine sound. It can cause a feedback issue with your subwoofer and it is what the cute blonde is trying to solve in the 2.3L Mustang video above. My 301a XLT does not have a mic for ANC, only for Sync commands. The ANC mic location is not clear yet, but we have a person in this thread with some info on an overseas Raptor. But there are significant differences in that vehicle.

Are there any RCA line level volume controlled outputs on the OEM head unit?
No. We are stuck splicing into speaker lines to get signal, or if you have a B&O system, the Zen Audio is a pricey but good solution, reference fusseli's installation.

If not RCA line level, perhaps wires we can splice into between the head the separate amp?
Yes. Use the FOR-11CK harness from Safewireless. It has been confirmed to work with the ranger non- B&O system.

If none of this, is our only option for subwoofer inputs the rear speaker line levels?
For non-B&O systems, line level is all we have, and in general rear speakers seem to be the best and most common option used.

The wiring diagram has wire colors from the amp to the speakers. Same from head unit to amp?
Yes. Reference that to work out where to tie into the FOR-11CK harness. Thanks to Ed Venture for being the first and figuring out that this harness works.

--------------------------------------------------
February 2021 Update

The Forscan guys did it. Fake engine noise can now be toggled off through forscan.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Subscribed!

Another member replaced the B&O sub with a slim JL but didn't provide any further info.

Let's figure this B&O system out.

OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
That's probably an easier install. I don't have the B&O system, I have the 301a equipment group package with my XLT. It's the 6 speaker Sync 3 system. The B&O sub is likely already provided a clean signal free of the engine sound enhancement, and power right to that area. All you have to do is pull it and put in something with a little more depth and output.

It's good you brought that up. Those of you with the B&O sub have an easier path to better bass I suspect. In fact it's already crossed over properly to mate with the mains. Just add line level amplification and sub. Well you will still have to fit it back there.

OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Update. I have been unable to find a microphone. As such I believe the Ranger uses a different method than the old 2.3 L Ecoboost Mustang that has a microphone. I believe the head unit is getting a signal directly from ignition pulses and processing that into the fake engine sound. Probably tied in with throttle position also. There has got to be wires that feed the head unit with this data from the ECU.

If Ford had been truthful with us and given us a way to disable it, that would have been great. Instead, engine sound processing is the industry's dirty little secret to help sell cars and trucks and to help you feel good about your test drive.

I would be happy if Forscan could step in and solve this problem. Forscan people sound off if this is possible,

But aside from that this looks like an immensely difficult problem to solve at this point. I need a FULL truck wiring diagram, not just the Direct Wire information chart, to see what's going from the ECU to the head unit. I don't think Ford is going to turn that over to me.

Ford should be forced to put a sticker on every Ranger window that reports their dirty tricks to consumers:
  • Your engine sounds are fake audio processing
  • Your Auto Start-Stop defaults to On every time you get in
:angry:

orangegrower

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Shelby GT350 - 2019 Ranger Lariat
I have a GT350 with a B&O sound system in addition to my Ranger with the B&O system. The forscan guru's have figured out how to eliminate the fake noise on the GT350 before the addition of the B&O system (before 2019). But to my knowledge nobody has found or has worked on finding out how to crack the B&O system. The computer code in the modules for the 2019 B&O system Mustang are very different from past years without B&O.

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
SUBBED!

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
That's probably an easier install. I don't have the B&O system, I have the 301a equipment group package with my XLT. It's the 6 speaker Sync 3 system. The B&O sub is likely already provided a clean signal free of the engine sound enhancement, and power right to that area. All you have to do is pull it and put in something with a little more depth and output.

It's good you brought that up. Those of you with the B&O sub have an easier path to better bass I suspect. In fact it's already crossed over properly to mate with the mains. Just add line level amplification and sub. Well you will still have to fit it back there.

Yeah I suspect you are right. I haven't put much time into it yet but I would love to swap the B&O sub to a JL TW5

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Is one set of speakers responsible for the engine sound? If you get a line-level input for the amp or powered app in one sub can you grab the input off of a speaker that doesn't get the sound? I know it does help if you amp the whole system though. I agree that it is dumb we cannot turn that off.

OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Is one set of speakers responsible for the engine sound? If you get a line-level input for the amp or powered app in one sub can you grab the input off of a speaker that doesn't get the sound? I know it does help if you amp the whole system though. I agree that it is dumb we cannot turn that off.
I listened very closely with my head sideways under hard acceleration, (it's very safe I assure you hahah) and it does seem to be coming more from the fronts than the rears. Hard to tell though. If that is the case it would be better to take signal off the rears.

I do suspect however that if the Ranger lacks a mic for engine feedback and just uses an ignition signal from the ECU that there is less chance of an "oscillation feedback loop" from a sub install that some people have complained about with 2.3 l mustangs.

Even though I don't have the answers yet I have ordered up my sub components to start my install. Going with a single low profile high output 8" optimized for small enclosures and a bridgeable amp that puts out 250 watts max into a single channel, with a built in subwoofer crossover and high level input options if I need it. I'll run tests on the speaker when I get it because I don't trust published parameters.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Looking forward to reading about your results!

OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Oh sh1t someone's on to me, hahah. Don't spread the word. Yes I have other hobbies. I took 6 years off speaker design to race motorcycles.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I listened very closely with my head sideways under hard acceleration, (it's very safe I assure you hahah) and it does seem to be coming more from the fronts than the rears. Hard to tell though. If that is the case it would be better to take signal off the rears.
I can't say for sure if it's the front, rears or both but I do know when my sub was tied into the rear speakers I could hear the fake noise. Last week I changed the sub inputs to the front speakers & I haven't heard any fake noise from the sub since.

The rear speaker wires enter the B pillar from the rear, I don't know if that has anything to do with the fake noise or not but I'm guessing it does. The pic is from the left rear with the floor trim removed.....the wires I'm holding up are the left rear speaker wires.

Edit: I also added an alpine 4 ch amp when I switched to the front for sub inputs so maybe the addition of the amp is why the fake engine noise is gone now.
IMG_20200130_141445.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I swear there's more audio processing from the fronts though, at least that's what my ears tell me. Maybe we can't rule out a mic just yet, and maybe the rears are more prone to "oscillation feedback loop" if that's what you are hearing. Can you describe what you are hearing? Is it just the engine processing but louder with bass, or is it an actual feedback loop (if you know what that sounds like) when you get signal from the rears?

I might have to experiment and run some wires from the fronts and the rears to a set of headphones to be sure. I've cot some closed ear studio headphones that would isolate outside sounds and let me hear exactly what that thing is doing.

The amp is supposedly under the center console, and all the speaker wires from it probably run down the center hump, which is likely why the wires enter from the rear. They probably split under the rear seat.

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Interesting..what is the significance of the rear speaker wires entering the B pillar from the rear?
Sponsored