Letting the truck warm up before driving.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
You see boys and girls it is a truck. More engineering is spent in strength and load carrying than nice quietness and cushyness. Buy a Lincoln then you get quiet and cush. :crazy:
Sponsored

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
For those that live in cool or cold climates I think is is great that you can warm up your vehicles and warm up the inside so the truck is ready to go on cool/cold miserable days. This is done by remote starting the truck and letting it idle for several minutes. But, am I the only person that thinks how ironic it is that we can idle the truck for several minutes and yet we have the auto start stop to save a little gas when the truck stops for what, a minute or two on the way to work? I'm not sure I understand why we have to put up with the auto start stop while we can idle the truck to warm it up.
disabled that feature with 50 miles on truck!!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
For those that live in cool or cold climates I think is is great that you can warm up your vehicles and warm up the inside so the truck is ready to go on cool/cold miserable days. This is done by remote starting the truck and letting it idle for several minutes. But, am I the only person that thinks how ironic it is that we can idle the truck for several minutes and yet we have the auto start stop to save a little gas when the truck stops for what, a minute or two on the way to work? I'm not sure I understand why we have to put up with the auto start stop while we can idle the truck to warm it up.
Hi Kent,

You are comparing apples to elephants. Auto Start/Stop is for better emissions certification testing. The Monroney Label can show better Fuel Economy Numbers. Has nothing to do with warming up the truck....That is outside the emission test procedure,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

Reactions: Doc

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil, I think he is referring to the political aspects of the subject. Often confused with real science or actual facts. :sun:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Hi Phil, I think he is referring to the political aspects of the subject. Often confused with real science or actual facts. :sun:
Exactly... Thanks

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly... Thanks
Hi Kent,

The curse of being an Engineer...almost devoid of seeing politics until a few malted beverages, eh?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineerig
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
I use to love the cold weather. Skied,played hockey and snowmobiled my whole life, then around my mid 40's I started to hate it. Moved out here and love the heat but now I'm a wimp and I'm cold if it's below 70. lol
That's weird. Love the seasons here in midwest.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live is south Florida so warm up for cold days isn't an issue however, I warm it up just so I don't wake the neighborhood with the jet engine clutch fan noise. JESUS that damn thing is LOUD! Anyone walking thier dog stares.

Can I say Jesus and damn in the same sentence?
Sounds mean an STRONG like it is! Enjoy great engineering.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 minute warm up here. 5 days a week in winter. trucks accepts 15 minute intervals but I get out there in 10 . I hate getting in a cold truck if I don't have to.my ranger drives like a dream, shifts smooth as glass, no vibs or harsh shifting. I cant hear for shit because of loud cycles ,so its quiet as quiet also!!
I concur . I always let it run 5min or so b4 driving no matter what time of yr it is! My XLT FX4 has 9k mis approx ..an runs, drives, shifts & sounds perfect in every way. The synergy of this motor/tranny/chassis Is an engineering milestone of trucks in my experienced opinion. I've owned many trucks! Mostly F150s. Which are incredible vehicles. By far this tho Is my favorite. Highly recommend a full synthetic SN+ rated motor oil for best performance an motor longevity. Tryin to convince the wife to let us get a '20 Ranger so we have 2 :) I'm close to achieving this! Go Ford!

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a fan of the fan roar. You would think an electric fan would have been an option from the factory?
I also like to idle the truck for at least a couple minutes. I tell my wife at least 30sec before she launches herself in her Mitsubishi from the driveway.

Toph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cactus Gray Ranger 301a, FX4
Occupation
Teacher
As a bicyclist, I know the hurt comes at the start of a ride, after the first mile everything smooths out.
I have always started moving my vehicles as soon as they are started.
Like the bike...a short rolling warm up, then drive normally.
I was riding my Bianchi on the Schuylkill River trail coming out of Philly and my thighs ached badly. But with every pedal they got looser and looser. And when I finished my 32 miles they felt great!

MagnetiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Same thing happens to me at cold start.

I'm used to it though because my old MR2 turbo did the same thing. If the car wasn't at operating temperature, it would go into "limp mode" to not over boost and protect the engine.

So i would let it warm up a bit before driving and cool down after a hard drive.
Sponsored