Dean's 3D Printed Ignition Trim Ring Bezel (Build/Buy Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Bullet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 4WD Supercab Ranger, 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 1985 Z51 C4 Chevrolet Corvette
I would have produced these sooner (I had the model made back in late July). The problem was that the heated bed power supply blew on my 3d printer. Took me time to get things back in order.

I'm not trying to undercut the other guy. I had always planned on selling them for ~$10. After all, it's just a little plastic thingy. I'd sell them for less if I could get the shipping lower.

I think Ford ran into a supplier issue on these. I can't believe they dropped it for cost. It's quite possible that they will start installing them on all newly made Rangers at some point.

I've only sold a few at this point - but I would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has purchased them. I am happy to make improvements if required. I've had one on my Ranger for almost two months with no issues.
I bought one, fits perfect! As Ford should have done OEM!
Sponsored

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Nice - got mine yesterday. Fits nice n tight.

What was Ford thinking...
Oh, same thing when they sell a $41k truck with no windshield visor tinted glass.

Ranger Danger01

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered mine and got it today! What an easy install!! Wish all the mod installs were as easy as this one...lol...Thanks Dean!

RONR11

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranget
Any chance making them for door locks? Mine is s basic xl and hard to find key slot

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2019 Jeep Rubicon on 37's
Ordered!

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Got one, thanks. Fits well. At least I think Dean is the guy. I just clicky clicky ebay and one showed up.

+10 HP. :rockon:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Just ordered.

Maybe he'll make them in chrome and really up the horsepower boost!

Rangerjoel94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
I ordered one last week and received it yesterday. I was thinking I’d be bold and order a glow in the dark one, but decided to go plain and simple. I installed it today with no issues. Looks great! Thanks for making these available!

5173F3E4-54FC-4F93-A10D-2C41128FCFA5.jpeg

DevilDoc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L 4x4 sport
Occupation
US GOVT
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered mine last night, went with the glow in the dark one.

forceofnature

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT with RC 6" Lift
Hi Phil,

I was specific to state the brand and type of filament I am using in case anyone was curious. That being said, I just visited Filament One's website and I don't see any datasheets available for download. I'll send them and email to see if I can get something for this specific brand.

However I think we can speak of ASA in a general sense as far as properties go.
Here are a few links that may address your concerns...
https://www.stratasys.com/materials/search/asa
https://all3dp.com/2/asa-filament-explained-and-compared/

I went with ASA primarily because of it's UV resistance and it's "ABS strength". I didn't want to go with something really stiff like poly-carbonate because I needed some give for the detents.

what, no ULTEM or PEEK? Lol

Another reason is that ASA has really nice print quality as best described by this gentlemen, Thomas Sanladerer

I think "As printed properties" is tough to nail down with FDM printed parts. There are a lot of parameters in the printing algorithms that can alter properties. Infill density, infill type, material extrusion temperature, bed temperature, etc...

One thing that is important is layer to layer adhesion. Prior to only recent software updates in the slicing software, gang printing several parts at once resulted in the print head jumping from part to part as each layer was laid down. This had a negative impact on layer adhesion, because the prior layer would have time to cool down.

These parts were printed as a gang of four on the machine. But the new software prints one part in it's entirety, then moves to the next part location, re-zeros the bed and starts the next part. This, combined with a concentric infill pattern ensures that current layer goes down onto prior layer quickly and gives a strong final part.

These are the things you learn from using these machines over the years.
what no ULTEM or PEEK?

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Just a product update: I've inserted it and pulled out dozens and dozens of times and she's still good and tight, Dean. Maggie's happy.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @Dean - I don't suppose I could grab the model from you? I just looked and noticed that mine is also lacking, but I do have a 3d printer at home and I'd like to print one up and maybe modify it a bit for my own purposes.

Super glad that you did this though and are sending them out to the members who need them!

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
Hey @Dean - I don't suppose I could grab the model from you? I just looked and noticed that mine is also lacking, but I do have a 3d printer at home and I'd like to print one up and maybe modify it a bit for my own purposes.

Super glad that you did this though and are sending them out to the members who need them!
Gizmokid - I want you to know that I have provided free automotive related models up on thingiverse.com - https://www.thingiverse.com/bugeye59/designs

However in this case a good portion of the proceeds go to supporting this website. I don't think I want to violate that exclusivity.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Gizmokid - I want you to know that I have provided free automotive related models up on thingiverse.com - https://www.thingiverse.com/bugeye59/designs

However in this case a good portion of the proceeds go to supporting this website. I don't think I want to violate that exclusivity.
No worries at all! I don't blame you in the slightest. I was going to see about modifying it to help solve some key related issues I'm dealing with and sending it back. No worries at all! Thanks for the reply :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.