stangertwc

First Name
Thad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX | 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Guys I have a 19 STX (XL) and after my wife made the discovery that it did not have a passenger vanity mirror I went and pulled one out of a wrecked Lariat. Would anyone happen to know if they use the same interior wiring harness in all Rangers? I went to pull the old one out and there was no wire there, so I'm guessing no. :frown: I was trying to find diagrams etc. but I could not seem to find anything that would show - I'm not too thrilled to start pulling down my headliner and gong on a treasure hunt so I thought before I might ask someone out there who may know a thing or two on that.:fingerscrossed:

Thank You in advance for any assistance anyone may be able to provide.
Sponsored

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4 (Iconic Silver)
I have a 2020 xl stx and can confirm the absence for vanity mirrors, it was also my wife who realized.. There's no lights either, so I'm not sure why you expected there to be a wire harness there.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
My wife noticed that no mirror on her sunvisor so I put one in the glove box. Easy peasy. ?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
the assumption is there that it's one complete harness made for all ranges of the model line.

proof would be the deletion of some items to cut costs....lets not start the debate about tie down hooks or tailgate dampers.
I am sure there are some wiring options that are included, such as trailer wiring... as thats a very common aftermarket add on on any model, so that makes sense.

but lets be real, costs are a driving factor in the production, as profits trump everything else.
(no thats not political, dont ban me)

every wire, every connector costs money, and you'd be crazy to think they're giving that away for free in the XL.
Totally agree! While there there may be one main body harness, but there are multiple sub-harnesses that plug into the main harness. These will be different depending on model, trim level and option chosen. One example I'm familiar with is the front bumper sub-harness. It is different if you have ACC or not. I'm sure many of others are the same.

OP
OP
stangertwc

stangertwc

First Name
Thad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX | 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
Vehicle Showcase
the assumption is there that it's one complete harness made for all ranges of the model line.

proof would be the deletion of some items to cut costs....lets not start the debate about tie down hooks or tailgate dampers.
I am sure there are some wiring options that are included, such as trailer wiring... as thats a very common aftermarket add on on any model, so that makes sense.

but lets be real, costs are a driving factor in the production, as profits trump everything else.
(no thats not political, dont ban me)

every wire, every connector costs money, and you'd be crazy to think they're giving that away for free in the XL.
thanks Ranger Pride - that was sort of my thought process for example I’ve had mustang v6 that had the driving light harness plugs thinking they may use generic harness throughout- but apparently according to Hardy I was a f’ing idiot to ask such a question...

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
thanks Ranger Pride - that was sort of my thought process for example I’ve had mustang v6 that had the driving light harness plugs thinking they may use generic harness throughout- but apparently according to Hardy I was a f’ing idiot to ask such a question...
That's what this forum is for. You don't know if you don't ask. :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Thad,

I got out my Ranger shop manual and still have problems with the wiring diagrams, but I did conclude that the vanity mirrors are an overlay harness out of the BCM, Body Control Module, so probably no power to vanity mirror lights... Looks like LH and RH are separate harnesses.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored