First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
My Ranger is currently in the shop for this problem and the taillight recall.
2000 miles into second oil change and cold oil level has risen approx. 3/4" and smells of fuel.
I had oil changed early due to same issue. It's time to figure this out.
I suspect a HPDI pump, but Ill have to rely on the dealer to figure it out.
Interesting...do you know right off hand when your truck was built? Both the OP and myself had trucks built at the end of April. It'd be interesting to see if this is isolated to a few trucks in a select range of dates, or if it's more of a systemic issue.

FWIW I had my truck in to the dealer last week. They did an oil change and want me to monitor it and bring it back immediately once I notice the smell again. I'm guessing I'll be back again in early Feb based on how quickly it came back last time. Hopefully we can make something of this and get Ford to fix the issue!
Sponsored

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
So has anyone got a resolution to this problem?

I just starting to wonder how many people have this issue that do not know because they do not check their oil or have not brought it in for a oil change etc.

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have 10K on odometer, built in April...

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

I just starting to wonder how many people have this issue that do not know because they do not check their oil or have not brought it in for a oil change etc.
As a retired technician and service advisor, I can tell you that most drivers in America don't know how to open the hood, much less check the oil and coolant levels properly.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
As a retired technician and service advisor, I can tell you that most drivers in America don't know how to open the hood, much less check the oil and coolant levels properly.

Yea most oil change places just pull the plug and would have have no idea if there was fuel smell to it..

I just wonder if some of the earlier people with the issue got a resolution..

I was going to wait another year to buy the Ranger but with the rebates I pulled the plug early..
I wish i would have waited. I am not a early adopter usually and do not buy the first year.
I have had more issues with my truck than any other vehicle I have owned at least with the tech on it.

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer

I currently have 10K on odometer, built in April...
There's a strong suspicion that the HPDI fuel pump is the culprit, but unfortunately we need a dealer to find it, fix it, and have it documented with Ford before any major action is taken. It also doesn't seem like a coincidence that there are at least 3 of us with the issue whose trucks were April builds...

Last edited:

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Sheesh, I have 350 miles in my truck and now this has me paranoid.
Honestly, I wouldn't let it bother you. Just check your oil on a regular basis for level and smell (as you should with any vehicle, ha) and enjoy driving your new truck. Odds are that you will not have this issue, but time will tell. I'm still enjoying mine, just being cautious of when the oil gets diluted. It's a fantastic vehicle otherwise, so I'm not going to let this bother me. I'm sure I'll get it resolved with Ford within the next few months!

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Update One: They changed the oil and marked the dipstick. I have to return in 1 to 2K miles for an oil level measurement.
Recall needed no repairs.

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Update One: They changed the oil and marked the dipstick. I have to return in 1 to 2K miles for an oil level measurement.
Recall needed no repairs.
I'm glad to hear that you guys are getting a better response from your dealers. Mine is no help. I've been too busy to really keep digging into the issue for now. I've been changing the oil ever 1500 miles though to hopefully prevent long term damage. I love this truck, it's just unfortunate that we got a bad batch made in April...

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
I'm glad to hear that you guys are getting a better response from your dealers. Mine is no help. I've been too busy to really keep digging into the issue for now. I've been changing the oil ever 1500 miles though to hopefully prevent long term damage. I love this truck, it's just unfortunate that we got a bad batch made in April...
So after reading this entire thread I just checked the oil level on mine (changed after a little over 3k miles) im at 5k miles now and a cold check of the dipstick showed it over full and it does indeed smell like fuel! Im glad I checked this because I had planned on doing a 10k intveral with the amsoil XL series oil I am running. My build date is July 2019 on my truck though. Also I work at a dealership so I will definitely be getting this looked at soon as possible and I will let you know if they find anything.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
So after reading this entire thread I just checked the oil level on mine (changed after a little over 3k miles) im at 5k miles now and a cold check of the dipstick showed it over full and it does indeed smell like fuel! Im glad I checked this because I had planned on doing a 10k intveral with the amsoil XL series oil I am running. My build date is July 2019 on my truck though. Also I work at a dealership so I will definitely be getting this looked at soon as possible and I will let you know if they find anything.
Looking forward to your feedback, is there a way you can actually talk to a Ford Engineer (for the Ranger) and ask questions?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Looking forward to your feedback, is there a way you can actually talk to a Ford Engineer (for the Ranger) and ask questions?
From my time at Ford, there is no way to get to a Ford Ranger Engineer directly, and if you did and he was in Brakes and you had an engine question...Now what?...He cannot answer questions outside of his specific area of discipline. That is why we have Customer Care. if the Ford engineer is needed, the directive comes from above to the right area. Engineering is very specific. When I was in NVH, I could handle any Noise, Vibration or Harshness issue to which i had the expertise. Get into the wrong area and the engineer will say .... Duh...do not know...and then what...you think Ford engineers are dumb? My take away from this is to work through the system, your short cuts will almost 99% of the time land in the wrong area. I have had this happen to me due to my being the Manager of Off road Racing....Yep, they reached a Ford engineer, and I redirected the customer's inquiry to Customer Care....

Please Folks,,,,follow the process...if not satisfied, elevate the concern. Not a immediate solution, but impatience will get you no further.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
From my time at Ford, there is no way to get to a Ford Ranger Engineer directly, and if you did and he was in Brakes and you had an engine question...Now what?...He cannot answer questions outside of his specific area of discipline. That is why we have Customer Care. if the Ford engineer is needed, the directive comes from above to the right area. Engineering is very specific. When I was in NVH, I could handle any Noise, Vibration or Harshness issue to which i had the expertise. Get into the wrong area and the engineer will say .... Duh...do not know...and then what...you think Ford engineers are dumb? My take away from this is to work through the system, your short cuts will almost 99% of the time land in the wrong area. I have had this happen to me due to my being the Manager of Off road Racing....Yep, they reached a Ford engineer, and I redirected the customer's inquiry to Customer Care....

Please Folks,,,,follow the process...if not satisfied, elevate the concern. Not a immediate solution, but impatience will get you no further.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Did you take my question as an insult to Ford engineers? If so I apologize for my wording or phrasing.
But preaching to me about chain command and patience is very unnecessary. It seems to me that customers need all the patience to get simple things answered or taken care of. Yes , I do understand you know more about this than I do.

No one actually cares to much if its a engineer or tech with Ford. As long as its someone that will give accurate information. Engineer may be a misused word here, but it does emphasize the importance of information needed. (When I look almost anything man made or designed, engineering is what comes to mind.)

Ofcourse you have the ones that demand things and want it now. they are excluded.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did you take my question as an insult to Ford engineers? If so I apologize for my wording or phrasing.
But preaching to me about chain command and patience is very unnecessary. It seems to me that customers have to have all the patience to get simple things answered or taken care of. Yes , I do understand you know more about this than I do.

No one actually cares to much if its a engineer or tech with Ford. As long as its someone that will give accurate information. Engineer may be a misused word here, but it does emphasize the importance of information needed. (When I look almost anything man made or designed, engineering is what comes to mind.)

Ofcourse you have the ones that demand things and want it now. they are excluded.
Hi Alex,

Well said!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored